ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

will this be ok for heating up bolts?

Golf GTD Mk7
blow torch would be better mate. not sure if that will create enough heat really. blow torches can be found quite cheap.

which bolt you struggling with?

Evo 6, E92 320d
Silly question but are you loosening in the right direction? I seem to remember they undone opposite to normal when i removed mine last.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
im struggling with a caliper housing bolt, not on the clio - but a 72 beetle. we've got the lower one out not too much bother but struggling with the upper one. now we've rounded it off good and proper!

Golf GTD Mk7
presume you WD'd it? heading with blow torch might work, but now you've rounded it you still might struggle.

Think you'l be there a while with that heat gun, Mine will burn wood but not that hot.

I'd get one of these from a DIY store or B&Q or plumbers store.

blowtorch.jpg

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yeah plenty of wd40 was used.

we've hit it with a hammer but now the bolt isn't really good enough to get a socket over tight enough to give enough leverage to smack it with. was told a good idea was file two flat edges on the bolt, then to heat it up, then with some stilson's give attach them to the flat sides to give the grip then give it a good smack.

good idea or not?

172 Ph1
if all else fails you will have too try and move the hub , if it can be removed with the caliper, get it to a bench/table and work on it off the car. you might have too drill it or use a grinder to take off the head of the bolt.
Got any pic's

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
hoping it won't come to that tbh! i forgot to get a pic on sunday, will do next time im round there. think we'll try the heat up/stilson method first!

172 Ph1
will the rounded off bolt take to the shape of the next socket size down easier because it will be hot?

Yes but the idea is for the heat to be transfered to the bolt first and then smash it on and then try and remove the bolt, otherwise if you smash it on first then heat it up, the socket will take some of the heat away from the bolt defeating the object

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
so heat up first, then smack a socket onto there, and try and pull it off then?

how long you reckon to heat it up for first, 5 mins? will the socket be ok to use afterwards?

172 Ph1
no pulling the socket off fella turn it with your wrench to undo the bolt asap before the heat is lost to the surrounding metal. i guess you gota heat it up proper first as once the socket is on , its staying on , and if you dont apply enough heat to try and remove it i'll be a wasted effort. if you know some one with oxy acetylene gas bottles these will be much much better as they will heat up the bolt in minutes and the job will quite poss be over in a matter of mins

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
so once it's cooled down and lost the heat, the socket will come off?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
and wont be damaged due to the smack onto the bolt, so will be ok for future use?

172 Ph1
if you are going to use a s**t make of socket then it my have a tendency the split once smacked on. good quality socket will be much better