ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams 2 Owners

Are there any current owners on the site? I'm aware that it's a 17 year old car now, but this one has had a full engine rebuild AFAIK, or is it a case of never meet your heroes?

535d / t5 caravelle
i had a 3 a few years back, took a good thrashing on a daily basis, 95k on the clock, engine never missed a beat, gearbox let go though, had a small patch of rust on one arch, RUST is the issue with the williams, basically buy the best you can afford, i'd love another one, but to old now for me, and no they are not money pits ( same as any car, get a good one and your laughing, buy a s**t heap and yeah it will cost you ) good luck! theres a good few owners/previous owners on here, get over to williamsclio http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had lots of mk1's.

The mechanicals are the easy part, its rot you've got to watch out for. Inner sills, outer sills, rear arches, bottoms of doors and tailgate.

Rust. Rust. So much Rust.

I remember seeing the rust on some examples around the rear arches that was pretty severe! Overall if I can find a rust free one, would it be a worthwhile buy say at 2k?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yes. Depreciation proof.

But for the love of god, get someone who knows what they're looking at to go with you. Anybody can hide rust with a bit of filler and some shiny paint. You need to get right underneath the car.

Flol Mash it's yours thats got me thinking about it, saw the ad on PH. Fair enough its after a few beers but the idea is definatly there. Cheers for the info Daniel, old boy had classic Mini's so will know about hiding rust, if not I'm sure one of the Scottish perverts would help out!

Clio Williams 2
Lol cool well the pictures need updated as the wheels have just been refurbed cost £350 but they look like new ! My Clio is solid !!!

williams 2,seat leon
Had one for 4 years, both turbod and standard. Get a good standard one, and your laughin. Still quick as it weighs half what a new car does.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
This is how you do it...

work008.jpg

225 Cup & Williams
Flol Mash it's yours thats got me thinking about it, saw the ad on PH. Fair enough its after a few beers but the idea is definatly there. Cheers for the info Daniel, old boy had classic Mini's so will know about hiding rust, if not I'm sure one of the Scottish perverts would help out!

Give me a shout mate if your looking at one locally.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
My mk1 ph2 is rotten too death, but on the other hand my mk1 ph1 isn't. Odd.

Would love a Williams ONE day.

williams and trophy
I have 3x 1s and a trophy. For out and out driving fun, the Williams, or 1 of them, every day of the week. As said above rust is the main issue. Mechancally they are pretty much bullet proof. Buy a good one and your right unfortunately there aren't many gd ones left. A cheap one will cost to get it looking or going right. A dear one should be concourse restored, or an untouched original. Imho.

Get a decent one and Youl never look back.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I miss my Williams' :( echo the above, seek out a well looked after example and you will love it

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
As 2 live said get a decent one and you'll never look back.

I love my Williams

williams_after_wsr_2012_2.jpg

williams_after_wsr_2012_1.jpg

Williams 2
Are there any current owners on the site? I'm aware that it's a 17 year old car now, but this one has had a full engine rebuild AFAIK, or is it a case of never meet your heroes?

I've had mine for years, its so good i've never sold it I know I would regret it!

As others have said, get a half decent one that retains most of the magic it had when it left the factory, it won't dissapoint. I now have a FF182 too as a weekend car and my opinion is that the williams is the better car, feels just as fast too.

The only advice i'd give in addition, is to look out for dodgy wheel refurbs - most i've seen have either lost the polished lip or are the wrong colour...a proper wheel refurb on these is not cheap!

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
Yup love my williams 2, sat out side work right now :D (shame i sold it to someone at work 2 months ago)
use the 182 as the daily now.
But never had any issues with it brilliant car :D

Williams 2
Yup love my williams 2, sat out side work right now :D (shame i sold it to someone at work 2 months ago)
use the 182 as the daily now.
But never had any issues with it brilliant car :D

How would you compare it to the 182?

My williams 2 is mint and so is my FF182, so its quite a fair comparison and I would honestly say the williams drives noticeably better.

In my view it is a better handling car, could that difference just be down to the wheels? (15's vs 16's)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I find the Williams' more responsive and much more connected. I think point to point I can do a run quicker in the 172/182 but I can guarantee which will have me trying to get the arse end out and laughing until my socks fall off.............well until I sold it :(

Williams 2 & 200
I havent driven mine properly yet even though i've had it 4 months or so, seems alot more raw than the 182 though but not as raw as my old Rallye. Cant wait to get it finished though so i can drive it and actually have money again!

225 Cup & Williams
I havent driven mine properly yet even though i've had it 4 months or so, seems alot more raw than the 182 though but not as raw as my old Rallye. Cant wait to get it finished though so i can drive it and actually have money again!

LOL! +1 on that mate.

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
I would say my williams gives you more feel when driving then the 182, but then my williams is standard (ish) and the 182 is not so much standard lol :D
Mine are all slightly different so i will give you a quick run down.
The williams is lightly modifed - exhaust filter and polybush all new suspension and mounts (drives like it should)
The 182 is 182FF both cup packs, forged low comp engine and rotrex super charged so has a little bit more power then standard :S actually nearly double as its running hi boost, and coilovers polybush uprated engine mounts etc
The Dimma is running a williams engine turbo charged and has a wizards of nos direct port kit with controller (currently 100shot) forged but on low boost (its a project in progress, engine is speced for hi boost, just have to uprate a few things first)
I also have access to a 182ff in standard condition but has original mounts etc so it a little sloppy (90k on clock)

For driving they are both very good but do not feel like the same car at all, I put all new standard suspension and poly bush on and it drives lovely, you can really feel it in the corners however the poly bush squeeks.... very weird.
The one thing you can notice on the williams is if you go into a corner a little to fast is that the back gets very light and i dont get that so much on the 182, it will get light but doesnt seem to be as bad as the williams
Now my 182 is running coilovers so you can push it a little faster and it will stay flater in the corners and it will get the power down better out of corner.
In driving terms i would say they are equally fun, but the sound in the williams is far superior lol it just has a nicer note (to my ears anyway)
In terms of power delivery, the williams 'feels' like it really gives you a lot more low down then the 182 which makes it feel like a much nicer drive when it comes to giving it some.
However the 182 actually does move much like the williams, i just think you dont feel the low down kick because at the top end it doesnt drop off as much as the williams, so its much more of a liner acceleration till 4k / 5k when the 182 really comes on song.
So i would say it depends on how you like to drive really the Williams gives you what feels like a very torquey kick when you set off, with that power dropping out after about 6k, but the 182 seems to pull on through right to the top.
Cornering, i would say i feel more confident in the corners with the williams, but on the exit i can get the power down better in the 182.

As an everyday run about, the williams has to lose out to the 182, mainly due to the refinement in the 182's climate control and refinement win on that for me. the williams always feels like its ready for a fight and it eurges you to push that pedal lol, the 182 you can actually forget that your in the 182 some times it just becomes an everyday driver.

I also have a Dimma, and the williams and 182 beat this hands down, on the standard 1.8 it is dead, the low down torque of the williams is not there, at the highend its a screamer but you need to keep it in the high revs or it loses some of its guts, now with the f7r turbo its a different beast :D

So my overall conculsion is both cars are very good fun when you drive them (im bias i like clios lol), but the williams does not like to be driven gingerly,it makes you want to drive it hard and gives you a really good amount of feed back, where as the 182 you can drive it hard if you like and it will comunicate about 90% of what you feel in the williams but it can be driven everyday without the need to push it.
So track car for me would be the williams or a valver hybrid (maybe even a f4r engine) but everyday which still has a fun drive i go for the 182