ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wilwood 4pots squeeling!

Fiesta ST3
Hello,

I have the ktec wilwood 4pot calliper setup on my clio running mintex1144 pads and the squeel especially when warm.

They don't do it when cool / cold and I'm wondering why this is as it's very loud :-S

Has anyone else had this? Or can recommend better pads if needed.

Cheers

Jonny

Don't put copper grease on race pads - the heat causes the grease to melt and run onto the discs

I run DS2500's in my wilwoods and they make no noise at all

Wow

I think the DS2500's are FRP502H which are about £60-70 a set when you shop around

That's one of the things I loved the most about the wilwoods - the DS2500's are cheaper than they are for standard calipers lol

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
They do two very similar pad shapes mate, there's that one with three holes and the other is same size but has a cut out section where the middle hole is

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
^ ill price match on any genuine like for like quotes Dan for the Ferodo Racing pads mate for people on here

PM me and ill get an up to date price for you as they've just gone up slightly from 1st January

Fiesta ST3
I've canceled my order, they guy I spoke to on the phone recommended hawk pads said they were excellent / better than 2500's

Fiesta ST3
Hmm is such a pain buying pads! You don't know if there good until you've splashed the cash haha.

The fella on the phone said 2500's needed warming up :-S

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
they might be horrible when cold, but bite like mad when hot

pretty common with track pads

corbon lorrainnes etc etc

DS2500's don't need warming up at all

DS3000's are a track pad and aren't very good from cold. The DS2500's I have work just like normal road pads when cold (first mile or so) and then when you get some heat in they bite like mad.

Fiesta ST3
I'm also not convinced there bled properly, do you need to do the top and bottom nipples? I've heard just the to ones need doing?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
they might be horrible when cold, but bite like mad when hot

pretty common with track pads

corbon lorrainnes etc etc

I am aware of this, but the hawk ones were terrible, fine once warm mind.

I currently run DS3000 pads in with my 4 pots and they have good stopping power from cold.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
on another note about brakes
what is the point in the wilwoods?
you have a bigger caliper pushing a pad with smaller contact area so therefore more pressure applied
however if it is the same size disc will they actually stop you any quicker?

the way ive been thinking about it is that if you have enough force avaiable to lock up the wheels with standard calipers, which you obviously do
then surely putting 4 pots on will only make locking up easier?

on another note about brakes
what is the point in the wilwoods?
you have a bigger caliper pushing a pad with smaller contact area so therefore more pressure applied
however if it is the same size disc will they actually stop you any quicker?

the way ive been thinking about it is that if you have enough force avaiable to lock up the wheels with standard calipers, which you obviously do
then surely putting 4 pots on will only make locking up easier?

Oh jesus. Are you trolling?
This has been addressed 800x

Cliosport is the only car forum in the world where people argue till their last breath that 4pots are pointless lol

It actually makes it easier to not lock up as they are more progressive than single pots
Less unsprung weight = better turn in
Cheaper pads
Much better heat dissipation

But honestly 30 people will be along in a minute to agree with you and say not even race cars need anything other than standard calipers #becauseburpspeed ;)

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
I've never had someone say anything productive other than "they stop you quicker"

That's why I asked, suppose it makes sense that they are more progressive.

Never really thought about the weight savings

That seems to be what everyone concentrates on with bigger breaks - stops quicker

Like you say - adding braking force won't change the point where the tyres lose grip and the wheels lock up - to do that you need to look at brake bias and weight shifting during braking etc...

I'd never go back though. My wilwoods with bells + rotors cost me £700 but every track day I've done since they never overheat, the fluid doesn't boil anymore and you can jump on them soooo late.

Fiesta ST3
Fitted the hawk fast road pads today. Just need to bed them in properly and see how they are.

Thanks for the help fellas :)