ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Window Tinting, Quick question

Morning all,

Just had a crack at self window tinting (with film this time, not spray like last time :p)

the film has gone on quite well, the only problem im having, as i presume most would is that I cant for the life of me get the last little air bubbles out! I can get them too the edge but its like the window has a slight curve and it bunches up?

would heating this up shrink the film and grip the window or am I going to end up with more troubles?

this is on the 2 rear side windows, I know the rear has a definate curve and is bigger so I expect more troubles with that one!

any advice appriciated (except for remove the tints:quiet:)

Ph2 172
Warm it first, then moisten the film with the spray, then make a very small pin prick in the bubble and work it out. Dry and done!

Clio 182 arctic
Ideally with tints you want to trim them ever so slightly bigger than the window or better still if the vehicle has a natural tinted edge, cut it so it just sits inside this area.

Then rub some soap/vaseline on the outside of the window. Put the film(still with the backing paper on) on the glass with the backing film facing outwards.
Squeeqee the film to the window(the dry soap/vaseline will hold it) and wherever it seems like the film is bunching/creasing, heat that area to shrink the film and squeegee it until the film sits flat. Heat a larger area than just the crease.

What this does is make the film the correct shape for when you then put it on the inside. Now just make sure the window is clean and apply the film to the inside of the window.

PS. If it is just lifting back but going down flat. then it may mean there is too much 'lube' in your spray. If you are using soapy water just rinse out some of the soap. You don't really nee much in there.

Civic Type R FN2
There's some useful videos on youtube which pretty much say what Barker said. I heard somewhere that the mk2 rear window (the boot) is one of the hardest windows to tint on the British roads and if you go for window tinting training then instructors sometimes use these as examples to practice on. The amount of curve in the glass, no wonder they're hard to do!

Ideally with tints you want to trim them ever so slightly bigger than the window or better still if the vehicle has a natural tinted edge, cut it so it just sits inside this area.

Then rub some soap/vaseline on the outside of the window. Put the film(still with the backing paper on) on the glass with the backing film facing outwards.
Squeeqee the film to the window(the dry soap/vaseline will hold it) and wherever it seems like the film is bunching/creasing, heat that area to shrink the film and squeegee it until the film sits flat. Heat a larger area than just the crease.

What this does is make the film the correct shape for when you then put it on the inside. Now just make sure the window is clean and apply the film to the inside of the window.

PS. If it is just lifting back but going down flat. then it may mean there is too much 'lube' in your spray. If you are using soapy water just rinse out some of the soap. You don't really nee much in there.

sounds perfect! I will try this!