ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 Monitoring Tools?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Are there any built in monitoring tools for both Windows 2003 - for internet usage and Exchange 2003 for monitoring people sending hundreds of emails.

Got a user who has decided to just chat to his mates all day everyday and I want to nail the sucker.

Thanks

172 Cup (2003)
For monitoring internet, it all depends how you connect... what your firewall / default gateway is.

Our hardware firewall has reasonably good internet monitoring, showing traffic coming from / going to a specific internal IP address.

With regard to emails. You can track mail only if you have message tracking enabled, which we don't have... and i'm not sure how to turn on to be honest.

You can find the search thing in Exchange Manager (see screenshot)

Sorry if this all isn't what you need or technically at the right level for you.

Attachments

• exchange.jpg
    exchange.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 67
  Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Thanks Gaz. All machines grab DHCP from the server and use local server-based DNS but I don't think they surf VIA the servers.

As for message tracking - its not switched on either. Balls.

Astra CDTI SRI
Our content filtering device allows you to monitor internet usage via an ip or machine name.

It would have to be setup on you internet gateway / router as that what all the internet traffic goes through, rather than the server.

There is software out there that allow you to do it, but it must installed on a machine that is connected directly into the back of the router to allow for the traffic to be captured.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Hmmm its not on the firewall so i'll see if these some basic stats on the router.
thanks chaps.

You could always install an ISA Server.. and that has monitoring per user account on internet usage etc..

172 Cup (2003)
You could always install an ISA Server.. and that has monitoring per user account on internet usage etc..

heh, you say that like its as easy as opening the fridge door!

We're currently evaluating ISA as an alternative / compliment to our firewall. It seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut though.

Sorry for going o/t

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I think ISA might be slight overkill. I'm checking to see what my router and firewall can give me... sadly its not much!

We're currently evaluating ISA as an alternative / compliment to our firewall. It seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut though.

Sorry for going o/t

Nah, the monitoring is just one feature which will be beneficial on a Windows network. :)

Sorry for going o/t
It is as easy as opening the fridge door though! lol

Message tracking centre is your friend, not the most slick thing out there but it should do the job.

Plus remember deleted items aren't deleted just because the user clicks delete! ;)

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
As mentioned, I hear ISA might be good, never tried it though. You could stick MS proxy on your server and use a group policy to get your users going through that (or one particular user). It should be able to take logs of user activity for you.