ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 8 - Anybody downgrade to 7?

Not a 320d
Downgrade?

Roll back would be a more appropriate word.

How anyone can use Windows 8 is beyone me. Its like taking the concept of a car then redesigning it into something thatll never catch on.

182 Trophy #333
I use Start8 by stardock, $4.99 And gives you a fully functional windows 7 style start menu, tbh windows 8 is a lot quicker and has some fantastic features and with start8 its just as easy to use!

WRX
Windows 8 must have been designed by a woman. Won't do what you want it to and when it finally gives in, it's not logical.

Inferno 182 CUP
If I upgrade to 8.1 .. Will it help? And what happens when 8.1 is officially released? How do I upgrade to it?

FF Clio 182
I see how windows 8 makes sense on a tablet or any touch screen device but on a standard mouse and keyboard device it is pointless and frustrating. 8.1 apparently fixes this issue. I don't hold up much hope, when you have to release a version of a current OS so to make it usable.

Inferno 182 CUP
I tried downgrading to 7 with a clean install but lost all my drivers and they subsequently aren't available for windows 7 :mad:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Rather than faff around with plug-ins to make Windows 8 usable, they should have released a dedicated touch-screen plug-in that simply enhanced Windows 7.

Our corporate WDS image is Windows 7 Pro and we'll drag it out as long as we can. Users have enough issues with IT systems anyway. Removing well established features and incorporating overlays on which 2 devices out of our 300 would actually use - just seems utterly pointless.

Microsoft had no real reason to release Windows 8. Certainly the majority of 'features' could have been implemented into a Service Pack anyway. To this day, it baffles me why they released it so quickly after Windows 7. Then again, they have a pattern to maintain....

• Windows 98 - good
  • Windows Millenium - donkey
  • Windows XP - good
  • Windows Vista - donkey
  • Windows 7 - good
  • Windows 8 - donkey
...so following that logic, at least the next release should be good. ;)

​D.

FF Clio 182
Rather than faff around with plug-ins to make Windows 8 usable, they should have released a dedicated touch-screen plug-in that simply enhanced Windows 7.

Our corporate WDS image is Windows 7 Pro and we'll drag it out as long as we can. Users have enough issues with IT systems anyway. Removing well established features and incorporating overlays on which 2 devices out of our 300 would actually use - just seems utterly pointless.

Microsoft had no real reason to release Windows 8. Certainly the majority of 'features' could have been implemented into a Service Pack anyway. To this day, it baffles me why they released it so quickly after Windows 7. Then again, they have a pattern to maintain....

• Windows 98 - good
  • Windows XP - good
  • Windows Vista - donkey
  • Windows 7 - good
  • Windows 8 - donkey

​D.

8.1 looks like it has potential :)

Changes to often
i upgraded to windows 8 found it great to use, but i reverted back to 7 because i was getting poor gaming performance.

BMW M135i
I like W8, it's usually the sticks in the mud that can't deal with something being different that moan. W7 is great too.

I went from 8 to 8.1, 8.1 was dogshite for compatibility (mainly with microsoft branded games) so i tried rolling back to windows 7, got on my nerves trying to get around the install and just went back to 8.
as far as i could gather windows 8 is more integrated into the BIOS than 7 was

Inferno 182 CUP
Actually doing my nut in

Just turned windows 8 on and half my apps are missing and stuff isn't loading properly?

If I search for them there there but there not on all apps and I can't access the desktop etc.

Something's obviously gone tits up as it worked 30 mins ago!

Skoda Fabia vRS
just got a new pc yesterday, already looking how i can get 7 on it instead, seems you need 8 Pro to downgrade not just normal 8, currently got 8.1 on with classicshell, but im looking at how much 7 is to buy

340i

• Windows 98 - good
  • Windows XP - good
  • Windows Vista - donkey
  • Windows 7 - good
  • Windows 8 - donkey

​D.

This x1000000. I can never seen W8 being used in a corporate environment!

Out of the 3500~ systems our Company has in the UK I know of two device using W8, which are Panasonic toughpad tablets used by field engineers for data capture (they where provided by a client so not strictly 'our' devices).

If anyone wants to provide some constructive feedback on Windows 8 I am willing to put that through the right channels if its reasonable. 'Donkey', 's**t' 'Crap' etc. are not actionable :)

For those looking to stick with Windows 8 on a non-touch device my advice would be (and this works for Win7) to look at using the keyboard for typing the a few characters of the app you are looking to start as this is by far the quickest way to find things.

Skoda Fabia vRS
Windows 8 will never be in any workplace on any kind of scale

it needs to stop trying to be 2 OS's in 1, leave that stupid start screen to tablets etc

182 Trophy #333
Windows 8 will never be in any workplace on any kind of scale

it needs to stop trying to be 2 OS's in 1, leave that stupid start screen to tablets etc

Apart from all the companies that have already deployed windows 8 enterprise into their company environments......

The whole point of metro is that it unifies devices, you can design an app for metro and it will run on a PC/Tablet/Phone/Anything that supports metro, its actually quite clever.

Seems to me people just hate it because of the lack of start menu, as another user said "stuck in the mud"

Not a 320d
Stuck in the mud?

Ill gladly embrace change.

But why change something that's tried and tested and works great and ive used for the past 20 years of my life?

Windows 8 is s**t. I dont like the layout.

​it doesn't even have Solitaire.

182 Trophy #333
The layout is pretty much exactly the same as Windows 7?! There's hardly any difference, other than the fact you can bring up a metro screen.

Like i've said in other posts, Start8 by stardock costs £3 and gives you a fully functioning windows 7 style start menu, then there really is no difference between the 2, it will boot straight to desktop and you don't even need to use metro!

Frankly in terms of boot up times, resource use, performance, etc etc windows 8 will out perform windows 7 nearly everytime.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
My Acer has Windows 8.

I can press a button though and all the annoying 'tablet' logos disappear and I have a normal WIndows 7 home screen.

Is that on all of the Windows 8 laptops?

I just use the tiles as shortcuts to websites now.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has actually sat down an done a full evaluation side-by-side with Windows 7 and then came to a reasonable conclusion to why it doesn't fit their business needs. We all know that the start screen is a complete redesign of how you launch applications and means that rather than a tiered system of menu clicks you have to scroll (as mentioned before typing is by far the easier way to find things) Some people prefer it, some say they don't like it but its a small part of what Windows 8 now offers.

When you start looking at security, performance and system management I would like to hear where you feel Windows 7 is a lot better.

Fiesta ST
I use Windows 8 daily in business and have no issues with it, I don't seem to be missing anything that Windows 7 could do, just improvements?

I tried it in beta form and HATED it. I stuck to 7 for years and finally gave it another try, hated it then found out about classicshell. I'm still using 8 to this day, just not the metro screen. Ever. It's s**t.

Inferno 182 CUP
This start8 thing looks better than classic shell if your willing to spend £3.

Now I have it I'm glad I'm not on 7

182 Trophy #333
This start8 thing looks better than classic shell if your willing to spend £3.

Now I have it I'm glad I'm not on 7

Its worth the £3 I reckon, especially as all the right click menus for management and system properties etc are there, and the ability to shutdown without pissing about with the silly pop out menu is great!

182 Trophy #333
It gives you "start button" but its not the same, it just launches metro! Its already there if you hover in the bottom left corner, they're just making it permanent!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
There is something called "Windows 8"? Isn't it that thing that Apple are trying to emulate with iOS7?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
At least most users only have the Windows 8 hurdle to overcome. They will never have to deal with Windows Server 2012 as well.... ;)

To be fair, I might give it another go with Windows 8.1. I had no issues with games on Win8 (about 95% of what my home PC is used for) - but again, Windows 7 is doing everything fine as it stands, so I'm in no hurry.

When I need to reformat, I'll consider it.

​D.

182 Trophy #333
I am not loving server 2012, not sure why the stuck with the start-menuless metro style design for a sodding server operating system, obviously they expect us to fit touchscreens to all the servers....idiotic!

Suggested deploying start8 as it works on server 2012 (been testing on a few of our in house 2012 servers) but apparently companies aren't willing to sign off on £3 to make our lives easier!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I am not loving server 2012, not sure why the stuck with the start-menuless metro style design for a sodding server operating system, obviously they expect us to fit touchscreens to all the servers....idiotic!

Suggested deploying start8 as it works on server 2012 (been testing on a few of our in house 2012 servers) but apparently companies aren't willing to sign off on £3 to make our lives easier!

Yep - a step too far, imo. They are probably trying to maintain a standard in physical appearance between the server and desktop/laptop environments, I guess?

D.