ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows Server / VPN

I've got a 'Server' running XP, which is simply used inside the office for file sharing, running ACT, backups etc.

The MD currently uses VPN to login from home, and access everything as he would if he was sat in the office.

We are taking on new staff, who will work from home so VPN will be used again.

The problem I have is, when someone VPN's in, they have access to the entire machine/network/file shares as if they were hardwired in.

How can I give them limited access? This would be to 1 machine ('Server') and to a couple of folders on 'Server'.

There are no options within the XP VPN connection wizard, just simply add new username/password.

Would a Windows Server (2003/08) solve this, giving each user rules? Or is there a software I can use?

Make a group on the 'server' called restricted. Find the shares you don't want them to access - right click propetries then add that group and assign deny all it.

Thanks.

I can't find 'groups' anywhere in XP (on the Server).

Don't really have a budget, as wasn't looking at purchasing anything additional.

182FF with cup packs
Do you have an existing firewall? What is it? It may have remote access functionality built in that's more controllable (assuming it's a proper firewall and not a netgear soho piece of crap)

Windows Server 2003? 2008?

And I assume it'll give me full control over which user views what folders, and can have simultaneous connections?

It'll only be used for file sharing over VPN and internally.

rs 200
Windows Server 2003? 2008?

And I assume it'll give me full control over which user views what folders, and can have simultaneous connections?

It'll only be used for file sharing over VPN and internally.

In short yes to all.

I would try for some new hardware aswell TBH. But then I always try and push my luck.

Right click My Computer then select Manage. Its then under Users on the left hand side.
Great cheers, I can see I can add usernames etc to the group, e.g. USER1 to GROUP1.

How can I tell GROUP1 to only access FOLDER1, instead of the entire network/PC?