ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  Swift Sport
I like you, you know this. But that is b****cks nobody NEEDS to get to work. Will you die if you miss work? No.

Okay mardy, I'll re-phrase that... It would be very beneficial if I made into work every day this winter. xx

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
I'd like a Luger and your address tbh.

Can you explain to me why in the 14 years i've been driving I have never had a weather related accident? Must be my winter tyres... Oh, wait.

Internet threats FTW! :clap:

The answer is clearly because you are the reincarnation of Jim Clark.

It seems like some people with winter tyres on think that they are the ones that can defy the laws of physics not the summer tyre users.

Bus w**ker
I'm lazy (and cheap) and expect the roads to be gritted so I don't have to change my tyres. Plus if the weathers bad enough I won't take the risk and drive or if its snowed enough there's no chance in hell I'm going in work anyway, instead I take the day off and go snowboarding on the local hill and try not to kill any kids on sledges.

Can't remember who wrote it, possibly Dan, but winter tyres do seem to have suddenly become fashionable in the past couple of years. Before that I'd never even heard of them, let alone seen them for sale. Meh, if we get as bad a winter as last year this time around I'll considering get some next year.

It was more aimed at Tyranical if anything. Reading his posts it looks like he believe a set of winter tyres will get him out of any situation and that the laws of physics wouldn't apply to them.

Obviously they are significantly better in winter conditions but you still need to drive to the conditions. For me it's a case of being sensible in the current greasy conditions and not driving if it's snow or ice.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
This time last year was a freak I reckon. Its nowhere near as cold as it was then. I had 6+ weeks with no water at work and thats not happened once so far this year.

If we had proper cold european winters then I could understand the winter tyres thing. But as it stands, for the 2 or three weeks of bad weather we get during the year I won't be bothering.

Bus w**ker
On this day last year 10 miles away from me had 14" (and that was just the girls). This year, f**k all and 8 degrees.

Global warming, I s**t it.

Clio, Rover 25
Flol.. do you want some salt to go on that chip on your shoulder?

Do you stay at home when its just cold and icy but no snow? Winter tyres are not specifically snow tyres.. they offer much higher levels of grip at low temperature, not just in snow.

This ^^

I got a set of steelies tonight and will soon be getting snow tyres on them. for the sake of £90 quid im happy to pay it as long as it adds extra safety to me and my passengers

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3

my local car shop sells this, think it's £20 for a small spray does 4-8 tyres. It's like glue but it does wear off and does no harm to the tyres

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
This ^^

I got a set of steelies tonight and will soon be getting snow tyres on them. for the sake of £90 quid im happy to pay it as long as it adds extra safety to me and my passengers

£22.50 for a tyre??? Are they remoulds?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
theres loads of remould winter tyres on ebay, sets of new 205/55/16 are starting at 99p

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Remoulds ffs! Yeah because i'd love to do 70mph on the motorway on remoulds with my wife and kids in the car.

White clique
lol at remounds being bought for the sake of safety in winter, probs worse than the so called s**t summer tyres, no ta!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You really are grumpy today Daniel son.

I've got Lorry drivers serial killer syndrome I think. (Thats actually a genuine condition!)

Spending too long on my own in the truck thinking about killing people that annoy me by being stupid.

Swift Sport
I've got Lorry drivers serial killer syndrome I think. (Thats actually a genuine condition!)

Spending too long on my own in the truck thinking about killing people that annoy me by being stupid.

It's just snow tyres, chill bro'.

Last edited:
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Had a pair on my 106 and i'll be getting a pair on the 306. They are simply unmatched in the snow. Anyone who claims otherwise hasn't had a pair on their car in the snow and are probably too proud to say they got stuck on their useless summer tyres last time it snowed.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I can understand why people don't see the need for them, as they have been driving since 19canteen without incident. But to put a different slant on it. There are people out there quite happy to run £30 LingLongs that perform much worse that a premium summer tyre (in the summer obviously). I don't know of anyone on here who would do that. However, we have a whole bunch of people happy to run summer tyres during cold wether, where the difference between your summer tyre and someone else's winter tyre could be the same as the budget vs. premium summer argument.

I don't have winter tyres BTW. I'm well aware of the risks as well.

Swift Sport
I can understand why people don't see the need for them, as they have been driving since 19canteen without incident. But to put a different slant on it. There are people out there quite happy to run £30 LingLongs that perform much worse that a premium summer tyre (in the summer obviously). I don't know of anyone on here who would do that. However, we have a whole bunch of people happy to run summer tyres during cold wether, where the difference between your summer tyre and someone else's winter tyre could be the same as the budget vs. premium summer argument.

I don't have winter tyres BTW. I'm well aware of the risks as well.

Well voiced. (well, typed!)

My mum got some last year after seeing what a difference they make on our car over here. They live at the top of a hill where every year without fail everyone has to abandon their cars at the bottom and walk up. Mum waved to them all as she drove up no problem.

As other have said, winter tyres aren't snow tyres. As soon as the average temperature drops below 7 degrees we're meant to put ours on.

White clique
At the end of the day - why do people care? Why would it bother someone that a random stranger on the internet doesnt want to buy winter tyres, what difference does that make? None at all!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
tyranical cares. He cares so much that he wants to try and humiliate me into buying winter tyres.

I never really saw the need for them at all and always said no point and i'd never buy them but since driving a few cars with them I doubt I will go through a winter without them again, My daily is a BM auto so really not that great as standard then it has 9.5" rear wheels just to make thing worse I have managed with them for the last two years but on certain days I have ended up just staying where I am and waiting for the conditions to get alot better and not risk driving on it but this year I bit the bullet and bought a set of 17" wheels and tyres with the packages that BM sell. I was expecting it would of already got alot colder but it hasn't and I've had them on a month and already used a couple of mm of tread (45k miles a year) I just decided that for the money I lost out on last year, the additional time wasted and expenditure on other methods of transport it was just cheaper for me to get a set. I hope it pays off because so far it has been a very mild winter :s

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
At the end of the day - why do people care? Why would it bother someone that a random stranger on the internet doesnt want to buy winter tyres, what difference does that make? None at all!

That pretty sums up every thread on this forum Alan. Yet everyone still wants to try and prove they are 'right'. Its what makes this place revolve.....and provide hours of entertainment.

White clique
tyranical cares. He cares so much that he wants to try and humiliate me into buying winter tyres.

He is a caring person, he doesnt want you to be stuck at the top or bottom of a hill or have a crash. He just wants to make sure you are safe. Hmm, i hadnt thought about that!!

Will you now buy winter tyres? Oh you must Daniel.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
He is a caring person, he doesnt want you to be stuck at the top or bottom of a hill or have a crash. He just wants to make sure you are safe. Hmm, i hadnt thought about that!!

Will you now buy winter tyres? Oh you must Daniel.

Sadly not Alan. If its cold and wet, i'll slow down.

If it snows heavily, i'll stay at home.

Or I could just buy winter tyres and still do trackdays in the snow....