ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter tyres

Clio RS200 GW
Decided to put my winter tyres on do you think I will be seen ?

image_zps77fd81f8.jpg

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Won't stop idiots from pulling out on you lol.

My winters go on, on Friday. :)

What winter tyres you using?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Are these REALLY worth it ?? Cant see them making that much difference ?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Are these REALLY worth it ?? Cant see them making that much difference ?

Depends on how much you use your car I guess?

You can tell the difference in colder temperatures and they especially help in icy/snowy condition. But plenty of people will argue that their normal tyres cause them no problems.

Its law in quite a few countries now to have them fitted during winter.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Two guys at work have these fitted to there BM's

Made next to no difference, they still got stuck last year haha.

But then that's Bmw's for you. They payed near on £700 for the "BMW PACKAGE"

I LOLLED!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

I LOLLED!

Will probably of been their driving, can fit all the packages you need, if you can't drive they aint going to help lol.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Depends where you are. The first snowfall of the season here and I had no trouble going uphill and braking. Whereas other cars with summer tires was Snaking up the hill and crashed into the sides going downhill. We also have to drive on compacted ice for a day or two after so they do make a difference.

im sure you'll be seen lol. Might now be my colour choice.

Clio RS200 GW
Only goodridges but after lasts years experience on normal tyres in the snow I'm not chancing it and I want to see if there are really any differences on breaking stopping distances etc will keep you updated they will only be on 3 months hopefully so I think it's a good purchase and I had a spare set of track wheels anyway

182 FF, A6 Avant

I LOLLED!

Somethings not right there.

I've run a few BMWs and with winters they were perfectly fine and usable. Ice, packed or fresh snow, all no problem.

Plus £700 for a set from BMW? No chance. Would have been more than that.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm sure people will really notice the shade of black on those tyres compared to your old ones. :S

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Somethings not right there.

I've run a few BMWs and with winters they were perfectly fine and usable. Ice, packed or fresh snow, all no problem.

Plus £700 for a set from BMW? No chance. Would have been more than that.

I've only got there input to go with regarding pricing.

Whenever it snows down this way, theres usually BM's scattered everywhere.

Mine are mental. The difference in cold and wet conditions is crazy. Driving on the autobahn in rivers of standing water, they offer unbreakable security, where my summer tyres would be aquaplaning.

The wet performance alone is worth it, and that's before you even get started on slush, snow and ice.

FYI.

Lol at the winter tyre car getting to 30mph and stopping before the summer tyre car gets to 30mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 172 Cup
I was looking at the idea of getting a second set of wheels to put some winter tyres on.
Can anybody recommend a cheep option wheel not really bothered what they are as long as they are round and fit on the 172 cup lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I recently put on winter tyres, although I haven't driven in the snow - there is a significant improvement over wet weather driving. I drove from Aberdeen to Leicester not long after all the flooding and I saw various bits of standing water on the trip and have to say the tyres were very good at clearing them. The Trophy in wet and greasy conditions slips and slides easily - with the winter tyres it's much more planted. (This is at slow speeds, not hero driving).

The negative is clearly the cost, my tyres cost me £380 for hankooks with a reasonable review and I put them on a cheap set of OZ f1's (16's) I bought some time ago. All in all it's a £580 set up - so far I do think I could have managed without them which does give them a high opportunity cost.

Insurance covered the change in wheels as free because they are winter tyres - a nice bit of common sense prevailing.

Clio 172 Cup
This is my first winter living out here without a 4x4 and we don't get gritted in our village lol
The tyres aren't the issue as I'm hoping to get some of a friend who does grasstrack racing (most of what they use are labeled winter or mud&snow)
It's the wheels :-/ what other cars/size would fit on my cup??

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I recently put on winter tyres, although I haven't driven in the snow - there is a significant improvement over wet weather driving. I drove from Aberdeen to Leicester not long after all the flooding and I saw various bits of standing water on the trip and have to say the tyres were very good at clearing them. The Trophy in wet and greasy conditions slips and slides easily - with the winter tyres it's much more planted. (This is at slow speeds, not hero driving).

The negative is clearly the cost, my tyres cost me £380 for hankooks with a reasonable review and I put them on a cheap set of OZ f1's (16's) I bought some time ago. All in all it's a £580 set up - so far I do think I could have managed without them which does give them a high opportunity cost.

Insurance covered the change in wheels as free because they are winter tyres - a nice bit of common sense prevailing.

Yep they are fantastic in the wet!

Looks like the colder weather is arriving and should benefit even more off them.

They might of cost a fair chunk for now, but you should be able to remove them around March-April time and keep them until next week. They should see you 2 years at least unless your doing mega mileage etc.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
This is my first winter living out here without a 4x4 and we don't get gritted in our village lol
The tyres aren't the issue as I'm hoping to get some of a friend who does grasstrack racing (most of what they use are labeled winter or mud&snow)
It's the wheels :-/ what other cars/size would fit on my cup??

Most 15s if not all should go over the brakes. So any 15-16 inch in 4x100. Should be plenty of rubbish old wheels on ebay you could purchase for not a lot.

15" winter tyres are way way cheaper. For what my set of 4 15" winter tyres cost me, I could of bought 2 sets over 1 set of 16s.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Winter tyres are worth it just make sure they are a good make - saves you being stuck in one lane on dual carriageways following everybody else going at 30 :( cause there is a bit snow on the ground in the other lane, it may be a bit rough getting into the other lane but once your there its plain sailing with your tractor grip (not saying you need to be doing 70mph though :nono: ) as your tyres work like a treat and don't spin.

For normal driving about you'll notice they are more grippy and you brake better in cold conditions under 7 degrees C as the rubber doesn't become "hard" like "normal" tyres.
Thats one of the main reasons Winter tyress are better it's to do with the type of rubber compound used.

There are those who will argue they are a waste of money and it's down to how you drive, true inpart but every little helps and as always there will always be someone who knows better :quiet:

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks guys I've been looking on eBay and it looks like I have a big choice around the £100 mark but swinbo has seen what I'm typing and says why can't I just put winter tyres on the wheels I have.

Like I said thanks for the help but I quite like bring married so just tyres is the way forward :)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Winter tyres are worth it just make sure they are a good make

To be fair though, in snowy/icy conditions even a cheap brand such as Nankang would be better in a winter tyre form than say a normal summer use tyre such as Falken or Continental.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
To be fair though, in snowy/icy conditions even a cheap brand such as Nankang would be better in a winter tyre form than say a normal summer use tyre such as Falken or Continental.

True for round the doors but I tend to travel back and forth alot so wanted some tyres that I could atleast get two or three winters out of mileage wise which is about 5000 to 6000 for the three or four months they are usually on the car for (December through to the end of March)

For my useage cheap brands are a false economy will be changing them yearly

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
My winter tyres have proven themselves again. Whilst another car was spinning its wheels at the light I just pulled off with no drama.

The tyres on the MINI has last two winters so far with round 8k miles. They still have around 6mm so I predict one more winter before new tyres.

Just to randomly bump this for anyone interested.

The 2 sets of wheels I'm selling at the mo have Nankang SV2 Winters on, and they are sublime. Great value, good durability from what I can gather and the grip in snow is outstanding.

All the people in here saying "don't bother" "not worth it" etc... That is fine and provided you drive within the limits you can nudge by on summer tyres in the snow for a week or two. However, unless you have actually tried them don't slate them. When I first tried them it was revolutionary. In the hilly Cotswolds there were roads where we left 4x4's spinning up their wheels.

What I would say is where on snow/ice you have approx 10% of the traction you have on a dry road on summers, where as the winters will give you 30-40%. Not enough to be a hero, but enough to get almost anywhere, gritted or ungritted. I'd also echo what Roy said about aquaplaning. The deep sipes, aggressive tread pattern and cold performance make for overall safer progress even on a wet morning.

Just my 2p.