ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wired smell ?????

clio sport 172
since its been cold i have notic a burning / hotmelt kinda smell once the car has got warm and stoped and the car is turned off i can smell this smell only from the outside though you cant smell it while the car is running or inside the car at all cant see anything around the exust area. is it my coolant that could do with a chnage cus im not to sure when it was last done. bit puzzled not sure where to look next or what to do any advide would be much apperashated thanks.

clio sport 172
what you mean wireing .....
nope not cluch slipping
were do i check the gear box level , and this had only shown up since sunday when it got very very cold , which make me thin abou tthe coolant ,, any ,more ideas to try ???

PH1 iceburg
I had a burning and smoking coming from my windscreen wiper motor the other morning. i knocked it when i started the car and they where frozen to the windscreen. It wont turn off till it has completed a sweep. Thought car was gonna catch fire hehe

clio sport 172
nope not that one wipes are fine , ... oh that not good yer did that onece last year no wtunr off auto when its goign to freze

Clio Williams & 182
You can tell what sort is at fault (if anything) by the type of smell. Engine oil, coolant, and transmission fluid all have a different smell. Crapped up leaking coolant is common and could possibly be thought of as electrical burning smell. It could just be where we have had wet unusual wether and the engine is burning off fluid along the exhaust/manifold.

Check your coolant levels, check for air lock in the rad (if so you may have a coolant leak), check oil level obviously and to check the transmission fluid you have to take the plastic screw at the front of the gearbox (am not 100% sure as your 'box may be different) and poke your finger in there. The fluid should be level with the entrance on the screw hole.

If it's a burning smell it's unlikely to be gearbox fluid as it usually leaks onto the floor and not something hot like the exhaust though.

Give the engine bay an inspection near the block and see if anything is around that may be out of place and melting.

clio sport 172
ok colol ive had a little look so far cant see any thing around block or around the exhuxt or manifold , as of yet , coolet is comeing near to the min level but has never been toped up , keep fergetting to do it , and last servcice was said to be ok , , but with check it tomorw , do i take it yuo mean fluid its picked up off the road ? , did notice last night the smell cam out from under the car , liek stoped at drive throught and it apeard out drive side , like you get in summer when the cars are nice and hot if people know what i mean .... , any think els i could check

J

jakm15

hi, i had the exact same problem my car smelt of burning outside and inside once it got hot, i had it up on a ramp and cudnt see anything. when i was driving one day my gf really pissed my off so i did about half a mile in 1st on rev limiter, my car was really smelly after i screwed it but then the smell went away RESULT!!

SOLUTION = SCREW THE TITS OFF IT. :D

clio sport 172
still got the same problem, but notice that my coolent lever had droped from midel down to min , and have washed car and cant see any hink burning adn where going to have a further look under bonet , any more got any further ideas what could be going on

Don't know whats going on, but the coolant level will change depending if the cars hot or cold. Should be about half way between when cold, then its got room for expansion.

i once ran over a plastic bag and it instantly melted. thought i had cooked my amp haha.

have a look right on the underneath see if that could be it.

clio sport 172
cant see any think under neither , and i would say my altonatior id fine , god know gess jsut have to wait see if it goses a way

clio sport 172
how can i check my altonatior out , what the best way to find out if its that or not , as jsut been reading other people with same smel

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
My car was also making a wining noise, with the revs also.

Just stick your noise by the alternator.

clio sport 172
nope not that , could be a very slight leek on a coolent pipe , but today jsut looked at rear break and one of my rear pads had not pulled up evenly and had been rubbing oon the disc metel to metel , and that prob wont help
and so far its gone a way form the things ive played with ,, thanks every one for you help and im put