ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless Range Extender... Head is mashed.

So last week we upgraded our old Belkin 802 B/G Wireless router to a Cisco WAG320N (Wireless N) Router reasons:

1) Improved internet speed, more reliable since the Belkin is about 6/7 years old?

2) Better wireless coverage "So I was told"

Anywho put that in place, gave my computer a Wireless N card upstairs Awesome! Connected beautifully. How ever we have a computer in the shed that was running on wireless since this new router it's lost all signal. It has a TP-Link wireless booster aerial on it, which gave it the ability to find our Belkin router now from what I'm told Wireless N is backwards compatible with B/G. So today went out and bought a TP-Link TL-WA830RE Wireless extender from Argos.

According to the instructions, so simple to set up. Plug it into the main compter via an ethernet lead then input some settings like giveing the extender a static IP. Clicked search networks it would appear it can find all my neighbours routers just fine just not ours? It's sat next to it as it says in the manual.

Am I missing something here? What settings would I have to look into to make one find the other? The wireless is disoverable it's not hidden so it can't be that?

Any clue guys.

Cheers

Nick

P.s DO NOT slate me for my spelling I am using a tiny buttoned keyboard (not my own) to type this and I.E which doesn't have spell check in.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
What modes is the Cisco working on? Just N?
The new device you've bought, you didn't explain why you've bought it. Is that N only?

The Cisco router is on dual signal from my recognising? Ill have to take a picture of all the pages that are available lol.

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/9093104/Trail/searchtext>TP-LINK.htm

That's what I got it says it works with

802.11b/g/n devices

http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/document/TL-WA830RE_User_Guide.pdf

There's the user manual that you don't get with it for some reason lol you only get a quick start guide that you put in the CD click the range extender you have then follow some steps to get it setup like enter the range extenders IP then it scans for networks available and that's where it finds everyone but me.

I've never had Wireless N before and right now it's being a bit of a b**ch ;)

Cheers for the reply!

Fiesta ST
Some wireless cards can do wireless N but only on the 2.4GHz range which is your channel 1-13. Unless your new Access Point can do dual range 2.4 & 5ghz then you could be running in 5GHz and if so your shed PC might not see this range.

Check what wireless channel you're running on your Access point and try another channel either 1, 6, or 11 to confirm your broadcasting on 2.4Ghz.

Cheers dude,

I'm just trying to get the wireless booster to see my router at the moment. It's being a gay, I don't think I have a setting on my Cisco control panel to change the channel either which is odd?