ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring a slimline fan.

Clio 197
Hi guys,
I'm wanting to wire a slimline fan to my radiator and am looking for some help/advice.

Basically the car was originally a 1.4 and was converted by KTEC to a 172 lump, the only thing is there is the plugs for the original fan but the relay box and fuse box in the spaces where the fan bits usually go into, there's no wiring to the back of the blocks.

So I need to wire up a slimline fan to a switch inside the car that's only operating when the car is on or live.
Or am I able to wire it into the existing thermostat sensor somehow?

Can anyone shed some information please and let me know what it is I need to do and buy to get this fan up and running?

Thanks in advance.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You can buy a fan controller from the likes of kenlowe and use that to operate your cooling fan mate. From memory it comes with a manual override switch for in the car as well. Just a case of finding a + and a -.

I'm assuming there's no fan fitted at all then??

Clio 197
You can buy a fan controller from the likes of kenlowe and use that to operate your cooling fan mate. From memory it comes with a manual override switch for in the car as well. Just a case of finding a + and a -.

I'm assuming there's no fan fitted at all then??

Is that a plug and play unit? Working off of the existing thermostat sensor thing?

Stupidly there was a 1.4 rad still fitted with no fan at all, so I changed it to a 172 rad with fan, but found the fan wouldn't come on at all when I was bleeding the new rad, then when I checked the fuses I saw there was no fuse, nor relay or wires going into the blocks for the fan!

So I was going to get a slimline fan and wire that up with a manual switch or to the existing thermostat sensor, if possible?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Is that a plug and play unit? Working off of the existing thermostat sensor thing?

Stupidly there was a 1.4 rad still fitted with no fan at all, so I changed it to a 172 rad with fan, but found the fan wouldn't come on at all when I was bleeding the new rad, then when I checked the fuses I saw there was no fuse, nor relay or wires going into the blocks for the fan!

So I was going to get a slimline fan and wire that up with a manual switch or to the existing thermostat sensor, if possible?
Yes mate it is. There's some available now that utilise the original fan switch that's located in the rad. The kenlowe controller had a bulb that goes into the coolant line that was a capillary temp sensor. It then went to an adjustable dial that you could set the temp that you wanted the fan to kick in at.

I've still got the kenlowe one I had fitted in my old car if your interested?

I can't understand why anyone would remove the fan wiring!! Utterly bonkers!

You could directly wire the fan in via a relay that's activated by a switch if you wanted mate. It's certainly possible.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
This is what I've got somewhere.
image.jpeg

Clio 197
Yes mate it is. There's some available now that utilise the original fan switch that's located in the rad. The kenlowe controller had a bulb that goes into the coolant line that was a capillary temp sensor. It then went to an adjustable dial that you could set the temp that you wanted the fan to kick in at.

I've still got the kenlowe one I had fitted in my old car if your interested?

I can't understand why anyone would remove the fan wiring!! Utterly bonkers!

You could directly wire the fan in via a relay that's activated by a switch if you wanted mate. It's certainly possible.

What do you mean by 'fan switch in the rad'?

Where does the KenLowe bulb go in the coolant line mate? How does it all wire up/work?
I'd definitely be interested if it all worked for your car, what would you want for it?
I have no idea why the fan wiring was removed or why it wasn't put in in the first place, seems ridiculously stupid to me...

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
What do you mean by 'fan switch in the rad'?

Where does the KenLowe bulb go in the coolant line mate? How does it all wire up/work?
I'd definitely be interested if it all worked for your car, what would you want for it?
I have no idea why the fan wiring was removed or why it wasn't put in in the first place, seems ridiculously stupid to me...
Some radiators have a temperature switch in the radiator to operate the cooling fan/ac fan. It just screws in so you could remove that if yours had one.

The kenlowe bulb goes in the coolant line itself, then you put the coolant pipe over it and jubilee clip the pipe in situ. Sounds complicated, but it's really not.

This is a screen shot of the wiring guide
image.jpeg
and this is the fitting guide for the bulb
image.jpeg

I need to dig it out in the garage and make sure it's not damaged mate, but if it's ok, then call it £25 delivered and it's yours. You'll just need a new rubber seal as I don't think that's there.

Clio 197
Some radiators have a temperature switch in the radiator to operate the cooling fan/ac fan. It just screws in so you could remove that if yours had one.

The kenlowe bulb goes in the coolant line itself, then you put the coolant pipe over it and jubilee clip the pipe in situ. Sounds complicated, but it's really not.

This is a screen shot of the wiring guideView attachment 146388 and this is the fitting guide for the bulbView attachment 146390
I need to dig it out in the garage and make sure it's not damaged mate, but if it's ok, then call it £25 delivered and it's yours. You'll just need a new rubber seal as I don't think that's there.

Ah I see, the old rad had like a blanking plug halfway down the side but this one had a sensor stuck in with the 2 prong plug sticking out, is that it do you think?

So I would have to buy all the wiring myself?
Did it work ok when you had it in your car?

Ah and where would I get the rubber seal from or could I use something else do you think?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ah I see, the old rad had like a blanking plug halfway down the side but this one had a sensor stuck in with the 2 prong plug sticking out, is that it do you think?

So I would have to buy all the wiring myself?
Did it work ok when you had it in your car?

Ah and where would I get the rubber seal from or could I use something else do you think?
Yeah that's the plug I'm thinking of mate. Some of the fan controllers screw straight into there.

There's a bit of length to the wiring that's on it from memory mate, so you just connect the + and - up to it, plus your fan wires. Yes it worked very well on my car when it was fitted. It was on my old Astra turbo.

The rubber seal would be available direct from kenlowe.

Clio 197
Yeah that's the plug I'm thinking of mate. Some of the fan controllers screw straight into there.

There's a bit of length to the wiring that's on it from memory mate, so you just connect the + and - up to it, plus your fan wires. Yes it worked very well on my car when it was fitted. It was on my old Astra turbo.

The rubber seal would be available direct from kenlowe.

So it basically makes the slimline fan kick in at temp as the original would with the original wiring etc?
Would be ideal as it means I wouldn't have to worry and keep a constant eye on the temperature gauge to see if and when I need to put the switch on..!
How do I go about purchasing from KenLowe? I can't find any online store?

Clio 197
I'll buy your kit off you if you could check its all good condition mate. Just can't find a webstore where I can request like the spare seal.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So it basically makes the slimline fan kick in at temp as the original would with the original wiring etc?
Would be ideal as it means I wouldn't have to worry and keep a constant eye on the temperature gauge to see if and when I need to put the switch on..!
How do I go about purchasing from KenLowe? I can't find any online store?
Well you can set the point at which your cooling fan kicks in with this. That's what the dial on top is for, plus you lock it in place with a screw.
I'll see if I can find one online for you mate.

I'll buy your kit off you if you could check its all good condition mate. Just can't find a webstore where I can request like the spare seal.
Ok no worries. I'll have a look at it all and make sure it looks to be ok. I might even have the seal, but I need to dig it out and look.

Clio 197
Well you can set the point at which your cooling fan kicks in with this. That's what the dial on top is for, plus you lock it in place with a screw.
I'll see if I can find one online for you mate.

Ok no worries. I'll have a look at it all and make sure it looks to be ok. I might even have the seal, but I need to dig it out and look.

Brilliant, if you could mate it'd be much appreciated.