ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wiring of master bt socket (trying to speed my bb up) *pic*

after reading the thread about adsl max and the bt master socket, i took my faceplate and came across this..

rather than it being wired like the dslzone site tells you, its wired completely different, do you think ther way its wired just now could be affecting my speed?

done the speedtest on dslzone and got this (dont laugh!) im on pipex homecall up to 8 meg believe it or not.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest/speedtest.php?id=405609

any feedback appreciated

thanks

Last edited:

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
You may want to put that front part back where the wires are going to.

You are breaking the law by removing that.

You can only "touch" the front panel which you already have off at the top.

But that doesnt look like ur full master socket.

sounds a bit extreme....what kinda jail term do u get for having a close look at your phone socket? lol

its the only socket i have in the house, is it defo not a master socket? and why isnt it wired into the bit at the top?

CTR--VX220D

Thats not correct!!! [it maybe correct if your tampering with someone elses box]

All they are are telephone pairs coming from the local DP.... who gives a toss!

I regularly krone new sockets out from the master DP/pairs to new locations within the house for friends and family!!! [oh and my house is recabled]

My mates house has full on CAT 6 throughout his house with patchpanels. He also has a full on PBX for his phones within the house ;)

You cannot change the speed of the line by connecting the live pairs differently. You have got 1 x telephone pair which can only be connected/kroned in one way on your strip. Altering where they are kroned etc will just stop your line working.

I looks like is connected to the lower part to utilise the capacitor on the board [Give ringing on your phone]

Chris ;)

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
LoL

Search the web for your jail term ;)

Ah yes only socket in the house then it is your master socket.
You have NO connections at the front because you have no other sockets spread over your house.

The wires on the back is the MAIN line coming into your house. They attatch to the backplate which is still BT's property.
This is the NTE5 Mast Socket.

You "legally" shouldnt play with this.

You can add extensions on the front panel in the IDC connector.
No need for you to do anything else on there. Apart from use a good filter as your connecting directly to your master.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Thats not correct!!! [it maybe correct if your tampering with someone elses box]

All they are are telephone pairs coming from the local DP.... who gives a toss!

I regularly krone new sockets out from the master DP/pairs to new locations within the house for friends and family!!! [oh and my house is recabled]

My mates house has full on CAT 6 throughout his house with patchpanels. He also has a full on PBX for his phones within the house ;)

You cannot change the speed of the line by connecting the live pairs differently. You have got 1 x telephone pair which can only be connected/kroned in one way on your strip. Altering where they are kroned etc will just stop your line working.

I looks like is connected to the lower part to utilise the capacitor on the board [Give ringing on your phone]

Chris ;)

You can wire as many extensions as you want from the front panel.

But i am correct on that you cannot tamper with the backplate, which he has removed in that pic.

All extensions run from the front panel which plugs into the "test socket" on the backplate.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Can i remove BT wiring?

*Unless otherwise stated, this answer only deals with ordinary BT telephone lines using the British-type modular socket system.

The wiring up to and including your master socket backplate is the property of BT and the rules say you must not interfere with it. Therefore these details are here for educational value only and to show you how to wire an extension from the master front panel.

cooper s full areo kit...
Lol deary me, Im an alarm engineer and the british standards state as a guide line you are not allowed to wire into the back plate to connect the pannel as this is property only of British telecom. But who says we dont all do it!

R35 GTR
If its in your house it should be your property...:rasp:

When I was about 14 i wired a switch into the box in my room which would cause all the phones in the house to ring when pressed. wound my mom up loads with that.

:D

Fabia vRS
after reading the thread about adsl max and the bt master socket, i took my faceplate and came across this..

rather than it being wired like the dslzone site tells you, its wired completely different, do you think ther way its wired just now could be affecting my speed?

done the speedtest on dslzone and got this (dont laugh!) im on pipex homecall up to 8 meg believe it or not.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest/speedtest.php?id=405609

any feedback appreciated

thanks

in all honesty your speed tests mean sweet FA. we need to know your sync speed and your IP profile.

you can find out your IP profile by running a test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com.

SLK 350
Get a proper filtered faceplate instead of a plugin jobbie, can get them from Solwise, will improve your connectivity some.

Fabia vRS
Get a proper filtered faceplate instead of a plugin jobbie, can get them from Solwise, will improve your connectivity some.

solwise get a thumbs up from me.

ordered some stuff at 3.15pm yesterday and it was with my by 9.30am this morning.

i've heard lots of good stuff about adslnation.com

mk2 172
lol,

easy answer is to not let bt in your house.
first thing i did when i moved in was rip out the hideously misplaced bt master
socket off my front door frame and stuck a tidy little connection box in acting as a joint to get my prs to a more conveinent place. then got some 3 pr ran around the house.
prior to that there were extensions allover plugged into eachother.

to be honest i wasnt aware it was against the law, but there is no way its going back thats for sure.