ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wishbone replacement

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I think my wishbones are on their last legs, Ive replaced the track rods ends, ARB bushes, all engine and gearbox mounts (they all needed doing, i wasn't just chucking parts at the car). and I've still got a rattle from the front i can feel through the steering wheel.
So, when replacing wishbones and ball joints, is there any hardware, nuts bolts etc, i should have up my sleeve in case of problems?
From anyone who has done this before, is there anything i need to watch out for?

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Ps. I've also pulled the engine as far forward as it'll go to try to leave a gap between the exhaust and subframe. It made no difference.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Pinch bolt can be a bit of a prick to get out if its never been changed, handy to have a ball joint pickle fork.

Reactions: Gus

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I have had a look, the rack and bushes look ok, in fact they look a lot newer than the rest if the car! Which could mean the previous owner had a go...

monaco 172
Nah it's an easy job.

Big hammer and a ball joint fork should be all you need providing you've got a decent socket set and spanners .

Also, have you checked the top mount on your shocks? Unless you can feel visible play in the ball joint I can't see this been your knocking issue.

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked your outer anti-roll bar bushes? It’s worth replacing them while you’re replacing the wishbones.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Having been levering various bits around with a big pry bar, i think there is a small amount of movement in the driver's side top mount.
Why aren't the top mounts bolted to the car? Bloody french design....