ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wont start or lock!??

S'trollin on size 7s
Hey folks,

Yesterday we stopped off for some fuel in my gfs 1.2 dynamique, then when we went to set off again it wouldn't even start.
the immobiliser light that usually goes off once the ignition is on, just stayed constantly flashing and there's just no life there what so ever.It doesn't even turn over.
But also since this her Key fob wont lock the car any more either. Is this possibly the immobiliser at fault or just the keyfob itself?
Thing is she doesn't even have a spare key for us to rule out the second option.
one thing I will mention that may have some connection to the locking is that her sunroof leaks, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the sensor for the central locking up there in the unit with the interior light?
But I cant see why the central locking not working would completely stop the car starting all together!?

any help would be great guys and thanks in advance.

PH1 172
A few things to check that I have read on here mate.

1) Change the battery in the key fob
2) When you have the key open, check the circuit board coz some times components can come away so will need soldering
3) Disconnect the car battery and leave for 10mins to see if the alarm/immoboliser resets and sees the key again

The central locking unit I believe is under the dash passenger side, so the leaking sun roof won't have anything to do it with and something that is common on the clios.

Hope you get it sorted

S'trollin on size 7s
Yeah she's had the battery changed in the key fob, and while we went to get this done, I had disconnected the car battery. It did seem that it had reset itself, because when we got back I reconnected it and it fired up first time, turned it off and on again to make sure it was definately working ok now, and it did the same as before and refused to start again.!!??
(P.s we had already been towed home by this point, if we were still at the petrol station I wouldn't of been daft enough to risk turning it of again.lol)

Last edited:
  PH1 172
Strange, it started up after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and then stopped starting again

How old is the car battery?

Any mates with a clio sport kind enough to swap batteries with you to see what happens?

S'trollin on size 7s
She had her battery tested not long back and it was reading perfectly. going to have an attempt at cleaning and drying the central locking sensor in the roof unit. Apparently that is usually the culprit.
strange that though, i wouldnt of thought the sensor for the central locking would be linked to the immobiliser.

S'trollin on size 7s
Right guys need an urgent confirmation on this..
In my gfs 2001 clio,is the central locking sensor in the interior light unit or in the ignition barrel.??
Everyone i ir her have spoke to seem to think its in the light unit(or there abouts) but im having to go on her word as i cant get over to have a look myself, but she is adament there is no receiver there as shes taken all the unit down and had a good look.
But i did come accross a thread that mentioned on the newer models it may be in the ignition barrel!? If this is the case though, the fact her sunroof leaks musn't have anything to do with the issue surely!?
I really need this clearing up as its doing my head in now.

Cheers

S'trollin on size 7s
Yea which if the car didnt start this may be the issue?
Her immobilser light is constantly flashin and the car wont start but every thread related to this exact issue said ,'its down to a leaky sunroof and thus causing the sensor in the light unit to be wet and shorting out ".
sort this out and bobs your uncle. but if her light unit doesnt seem to have any sensor then surely this must rule this cause out and it must be somthing else i.e the keyfob itself?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The easiest way to to resolve this is to look at your key... does it have an clear looking LED poking out? If so its an IR key and if not its RF. If you have an IR key let me know and i'll tell you how to test this.

Really the car needs diagnostics specifically on the Imob system as the flashing light denotes the UCH/MTU has not recieved/accepted the key code so isn't allowing the car to start. I'd guess it'll be an RF key on a 2001 and the most likely cause will be the keyfob itself needs replacing or the decoder ring/wiring will be causing the issue.

Mick

Megane dci 130
2001 will 100% be a radio frequency key. The central locking and IMObiliser are separate systems. The receiver for the locking is integral in the Uch computer.

The pick up for the IMObiliser is around the ignition barrel. (the starting side of things)

Your problems is most likely the key it's self.

Have you tried the spare key if you have one?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
yeah it has an LED on the key.

Using your generic camera phone/digital camera - point the keys business end at the camera and press the button - looking at the keyfobs IR diode thru the camera screen... can you see it briefly flash white?
  • YES > Key working fine... fault most likely due to in-car IR reciever.
  • NO > Dismantle key, confirm diode and button contacts are soldered to the keyfob PCB and that the battery is in good order... repair any broken soldered contacts and repeat test.
Mick

renault clio 2.0 172
had same problem with me 172, immobiliser light would just flash and after about 10 minutes of turning key on and off it would finally switch immobiliser off and start the engine, didnt do it every time i tried startin but ended up gettin pissed off with it happening so took it to renault dealership and gettin new keyfob and recoding the new key and immobliser, cant remember how much it cost, dont think it was that much but fixed the problem, also i have also heard off the sensor near the interior light causing similar problems and they cost bout 400 quid to replace, sounds like same prob as mine though so prob best ta get new key fob

S'trollin on size 7s
yeah, turns out it was the key
Cost her £160 all together
that was to diagnose it initially, the key itself and to re programme, plus odd labour cost.
all works fine now, but there wasnt a sensor in the light unit afterall.

renault clio S reg
Hi there. I do not know how to create own post so here goes hoping someone can help me... I have just purchased a clio S reg with sunroof. Only 33000 on clock so nice little car really and cute. Anyway my problem is the key fob. I had battery changed and it still does not submit an out put of radio signal. The transponder is in there and looks okay. -Its just not transmitting any radio signal at all so of course the car will not open unless you stick in the lock to open which then does not open the other three doors. - I can however open the other three doors including boot if I press the remote locking in the middle of the car near gear stick. Please can anyone tell me what the problem is here? Many thanks....