ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wordpress- enable editor to be able to use custom menu

Rav4
Hi,

Basically I do all my websites on Wordpress, and I don't give the users admin rights because they mess things up, so if they need, they are editors.

I need to give a user the ability to use the menu functionality on WP 3.0+ found under appearence>Menu

I normally use a plugin called "menu editor" which is fantastic, but cannot get it to work for the menu, probably being stupid. If I add a new menu linked to nav-menus.php with the required capability of editor, it does not work, when logged in as the user it says "you donot have sufficient permissions to access this page" but they do.... :s

Have you done it, if so, how?

Already searched on google, don't want to mess around with the code too much and some choices are just silly.

Thanks,

Gabi.

(any help really appreaciated)

LY 182
Is it to do with the permissions of the file? I really am going off the top of my head here, you may need to chmod the file to 777.

Rav4
Mr Pants, thank you for responding.

I'ts not because it is fine if I am logged into wordpress as an administrator or user who has administrator priviledges, really annoying :S

Hope it makes sense what I am trying to achieve.

G.

LY 182
I assume you've tried reading the readme file(s) for the plugin.

Not much help as I've never used the plugin.

14' Leon Cupra 280
Best thing to do is buy 'White Label Branding' from ThemeForest. $15-20. I bought it last week as i'm using WP a lot more now, and the ability to remove all aspects of 'Wordpress', add my logo and my clients logo in a matter of seconds is perfect. In the Plugin settings you can 'show Appearance'... and you could even hide every other button on the dashboard :)

it's perfect.

14' Leon Cupra 280
WP.jpg :)

14' Leon Cupra 280
Oh and finally. You can then also go to the Sub Menu options within the plugin and remove the Themes and Widgets links, leaving just the Menu. So you client won't fook up, or know what theme you're using ;)

Rav4
I have already re-branded the control panel and added/removed all I need within reason, all I need is them to be able to have widgets and menu's.

:)

I will check out that theme from wordpress and see.

Gone through the read me file, also contacted the guy, we'll see.

It's relatively a simple request, the other thing that annoys me is how you need to mess around so much if you want to have a navigation option none clickable..... i.e drop down menu but the parent not having a hyperlink to go to, don't like the cheating way of creating it as an external link with a #, that is tatty....

:s

That's my rant for today.

Rav4
The license is per project isn't it?

Oh and finally. You can then also go to the Sub Menu options within the plugin and remove the Themes and Widgets links, leaving just the Menu. So you client won't fook up, or know what theme you're using ;)

14' Leon Cupra 280
Just use the free one, anything from ThemeForest/Envato (how I read it), means that you can use it for more than one project for whoever you want, BUT you can't resell it. So I couldn't set up 'PluginForest' and resell it for £20. Same with the themes. I only use ThemeForest as I like the support. I'm not technical in the slightest, but if i have a problem with a plugin on theme, I can have answers in minutes.

Rav4
I like themeforest but don't really use it, build all of it myself, but I do get stuck sometimes, such as this. I'll play with the free one. Good stuff.

Nice portfolio ;)

Rav4
The one you said from coda canyon is well good, I have messed around for months getting the backend just right, could have just bought this, damn it. I was using a magnitude of plugins to achieve this.

I wonder if you can simply export those settings into a clean WP config and have all the settings propogate accordingly.

Nice.

Thanks for sharing that.

14' Leon Cupra 280
No problems, glad to help. In the last 3 months i've just found Wordpress to be really handy for me. I had themes years ago, but now the game has changed with the likes of Envato and their sites. There are some amazing plugins out there, pretty much whatever you can think of! I can't imagine messing around with the backend for every site though, especially since they seem to be releasing new upgrades every month :)

My method of working now runs MAMP PRO on Mac. So it gives me multiple WP websites offline. I'm currently working on 3 WP sites, and to have them offline working with no Load Times is perfect. I then work on the theme and plugins offline. Then export the WP data, install it back on the real website and upload the theme and plugins ;) The only thing to do is add the media/images again. It's saving a lot of time as you can imagine.

What's your work pattern with WP? Any sites to show me?

Rav4
This is one of the comments from the author regarding the license. Seems like one purchase per product.

Hi zeontech,

Thank you for buying the plugin. Unfortunately the market place doesn’t work like that.
The REGULAR LICENSE lets you use the premium WordPress plugin one of your own sites or a customers site. The EXTENDED LICENSE lets you incorporate the plugin into another product which you are then reselling. You cannot resell the plugin its self.
At the time being there is no DEVELOPER LICENSE available which lets you install the plugin on an unlimited number of your clients websites.
If you buy the EXTENDED LICENSE you can use it on a WordPress Multisite installation, but you would have to purchase a valid license (REGULAR LICENSE ) for each stand-alone WordPress site.
I hope this makes sense. If you have any questions you are welcome to contact me. For your information I know that the marketplace manager is looking into creating a DEVELOPER LICENSE for this Category.

Just use the free one, anything from ThemeForest/Envato (how I read it), means that you can use it for more than one project for whoever you want, BUT you can't resell it. So I couldn't set up 'PluginForest' and resell it for £20. Same with the themes. I only use ThemeForest as I like the support. I'm not technical in the slightest, but if i have a problem with a plugin on theme, I can have answers in minutes.