ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worth getting a second set of rims for track days?

Clio 182 Cup
I used to have r888's on a westfield and thought they were great, do they work as well on a clio and how long would you expect to get out of them? And back to the topic, is it worth having a 2nd set of rims just for the track or is that a waste, my car is only going to be used for fun and isnt an everyday car...let me know your thoughts
Thanks

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I am running 2 sets of wheels on my 172, one set for track/ fast road (R888 atm) and one set for normal road use.

IIRC you won't get much more then 5/6k out of a set of R888s.

Clio 182 Cup
Thats not too bad, as the car is a toy I dont think I'll be doing more than 2-3k a year so worst ways a new set of tyres every 12-18 months wouldnt be the end of the world, do you notice a big difference between your r888 and regular road tyres, in your opinion are they worth the extra money?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Thats not too bad, as the car is a toy I dont think I'll be doing more than 2-3k a year so worst ways a new set of tyres every 12-18 months wouldnt be the end of the world, do you notice a big difference between your r888 and regular road tyres, in your opinion are they worth the extra money?

Yes they're worth the extra money. I was a lot quicker around the track with the R888 fitted. If you're only doing a 2-3k PA then I would run a set of semi slicks all year round.

Clio 182
You wouldn't believe the difference especially if your running with cheap/non performance road tyres atm :)

Clio 182 Cup
I had r888's on my westfield and know they are good, and from the sounds of it are worth the money, my current tyres havent got long left and will be putting r888's all round, not going to bother with a spare set of wheels

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I will be looking at getting a spare set of wheels to put 888's on, that way i can drive to the track on road tyres and weather permitting swap them over when i get there.

535d / t5 caravelle
i got a second set of alloys off a renault 19 £40 with 4mm tread all round, when there scrubbed clean, track tyres are going on them.