ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worth getting winter tyres...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
get some 15" steelies, oh wait i have your old 15" steelies on my car ;) 50 quid a corner for decent winter tyres mate

I'll end up sticking them on the wife's corsa which has very willy esque 185/55's...

And where the hell are you finding decent ones for £50 a corner?!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
What people seem to forget is that these tyres are designed to give you optimum traction on snow and cold wet roads.
They trump summer tyres in the same conditions but they still require the driver to have their brain plugged in.
The problem is that most of the idiots on here do not adjust their driving style (I.e like a flat out chav) to suit the change of season.
Winter tyres work their best in temps below 7-8 degrees. I normally fit them when the gritters start hitting the roads.
I stored mine and used them over two winters before I sold the car with them on and found no sign of degradation.
As long as you store them inside a garage or shed and not outside in the garden then they should last a good few winters......if they aren't driven hard on when the roads are dry of course.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Anyone know if it's worth 'scrubbing in' a set of winter rubber !? Just thinking how awful some new tyres are for the first few miles...

Is it worth putting them on before it gets too cold or surprises us and snows one night, and doing 100 miles on them, to get the moulding surface off before they need to work properly ?

Thoughts, etc.

Ta...

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
No you dont scrub winter tyres, and personally I am fitting mine at the end of the month.

If you want more info on them Spend a few quid and pick up the new EVO magazine a very good in depth test comparing them to summer/ all season tyres.. You will be shocked!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
What's the consensus on a set of near fucked 888s? Will I be ok or should I go all out & fit them with some chains?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I'd probably buy a box of roofing tacks, and hammer them through from the inside... Studded tyres just to be safe.

Now you mention, studs are an option. You'd need to gaffa tape them in place though to stop them coming loose/letting air. Sticky guide definitely needed.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Get a box of 3" nails and poke some through from the inside. You should be able to pull about 3G through corners with them on.

MINI-R32-integrale
The stand outs from EVO mag article. Braking on snow in MK6 Golf from 25mph, best winter tyre 19.7m, ContiSport 3 summer tyre last 72.7m, over 50 m longer!

Snow lap times winter best107.2secs worst 108.4, summer didn't reach start line.

Traction longitudinal force generated winter best 291.3deN worst 262.4deN, summer last 69deN.

Wet circuit temp below 7deg, winter best 87.2secs worst 89.1secs, summer 91.6secs
Wet braking from 50mph; winter best 35.8m worst 37.6m, summer 43m.

Dry circuit best summer 114.6secs, fastest winter 118.1secs slowest winter 119.2secs
Dry braking from 50mph best summer 37.1m, best winter 42.9m worst winter 43.6m.

Interesting to note a winter tyre stops in a shorter distance in the wet than a summer does in the dry.

My friend is a tyre development engineer based at MIRA for Continental & he said tyre companies spend more on developing winter tyres than summer as the rewards in terms of development are higher, whereas it's such small margins in summer tyres & the knowledge base is deeper that it's all much of muchness.

Many tyre companies recommend that if you do a low annual mileage, that running winter tyres all year round makes more sense than a summer tyre as the loses in the dry are much lower than the gains in winter.

But one area a summer tyre wins hands down is subjective feel, winter tyres do feel a little less positive on turn in & feedback.

I have Hankook I-Cept EVO 195/50/15 which cost little over £50 each delivered next day from www.tyremen.co.uk

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mk 3 polo or similar, skinny wheels, next to no weight and bounce it off anything without worrying about damaging it. probably pick one up and insure it for the price of winter tyres in 16" lol ;-)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
rofl, i ran a little polo few winters back, last thing to make it over cat and fiddle as it closed, whipped past many a more expensive motor with and without their winter tyres on, absolutely no problem at all, the skinny tyres cut through the snow beautifully, i think they were around 135mm width.

dont get me wrong i'm sure a proper winter tyre would be far superior, however for a giggle it was great fun :)

rofl, i ran a little polo few winters back, last thing to make it over cat and fiddle as it closed, whipped past many a more expensive motor with and without their winter tyres on, absolutely no problem at all, the skinny tyres cut through the snow beautifully, i think they were around 135mm width.

dont get me wrong i'm sure a proper winter tyre would be far superior, however for a giggle it was great fun :)

How did you know they had winter tyres on?