ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worth swapping to manual windows and mirrors for weight saving?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I'm on a bit of a weight saving mission with my track car and wondered if this would yield any results.

Now I'm not expecting miracles but very little helps.

Thoughts?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Perspex windows if you really want to save some mass..

Put 2ltr less of fuel in.

How much do you weigh ? Trying to save 1kg on a car if you weigh more than 60kg is pretty daft IMO.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

How much do you weigh ? Trying to save 1kg on a car if you weigh more than 60kg is pretty daft IMO.
Perspex windows will come but I'm looking for interim alternatives until I go ott.

I ran out of fuel on my last track day so that wouldn't help.

Being a stocky little bleeder, I'm anywhere between 95 and 100kg. That said, the weight saving is still relative and worthwhile IMO.

Losing weight myself isn't an option as I just dont have the time and the last time I was into it I put a stone and a half on.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I think the point trying to be made is there is no real point, the cost/time would be quite high when compared to the actual weight saving. There are much better ways to save weight.

Just do a big poo in the morning.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I think the point trying to be made is there is no real point, the cost/time would be quite high when compared to the actual weight saving. There are much better ways to save weight.

Just do a big poo in the morning.
Lol at the poo. No one wants to use a portaloo at a track day.

I know it's not going to be a huge weight saving I'm just intrigued to see how much it may save.

The interior is already fully stripped, Aircon is coming out as is sound deadening, I'm running Superleggera's which are very light. Just looking for the next improvement I can make.

172/1.2/E30
Electric window motors, switches and wiring aren't really heavy. You'll save around 1kg. I did it for the "minimalism-look".

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Get a hole drill and go crazy!

Little bump as im intrigued by this, need to know before I make new door cards.
The hole drill will come with the cage. I can't wait!

Did you source a door card material in the end?

Golf GTD Mk7

Way to put a man down.lol. But well said

I wouldn't bother. The only benefit would be removing an electrical component which might go wrong in the future.