ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

would anyone NOT recommend buying a 182

Clio 172 Cup

hey,

so all you 182 owners, would any of you NOT recommend buying a 182, and if so, why not?

anyone had problems with them?

j

Clio 172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 19 June 2005

Ive always said Ill never buy another Renault.

yeah i know i think id be crazy to buy another, but i really like them!!!!

what other hot hatches or available that compete with a 182, or are there any others that are gonna be released in the near future?

id have another, went from an 02 plate mk2 172 to a 54plate 182 (both brand new when i bought them) and ive had no problems with either. Great cars :D

BMW 120i Sport

Its a great little car, good speed, handles great. It doesnt have Audi build quality although the leather/alcantara is nice as is the soft touch dash; ive had a few niggling faults with mine (fixed promptly under warranty).

To be honest, the novelty of the pace tends to wear off and I occasionally look at other, bigger, softer cars now that ive done the "pocket rocket" thing. It also attracts unwelcome "local krooz scene" attention and every saxo/corsa/old rice burner sits up your arse at any given opportunity.

If you want a small fast hot hatch, you cant get better considering the equipment level and the bargain prices you can get now.

I wont buy another one, i think ill be aiming for something bigger probably a newish BMW 330c or an Impreza STi.

Everybody agrees tha the Clio Sports are great, fast little cars.
The only reason I can imagine people would not recommend them are the arms long list of common faults and rattles of the interior.

BMW 120i Sport

mine doesnt rattle, mine tends to "jiggle" when going over bumps and rough bits of road.

If its billiard table smooth, then fantastic!!

If only the roads were that smooth in the uk.

As above. Get a low milage 182 - someone wld have done the running in for you and taken the first year depreciation!

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 19 June 2005

It doesnt have Audi build quality
Nor do Audis! If you want genuinely good build quality (not the perception of such from careful brand management), buy a Volvo.

I have an 02 Ph2 172 and have been extremely impressed with the integrity and running costs of the car.

Your best chance of owning a trouble-free 182 is to buy a new or relatively new one, cherish it and choose your Renault dealer carefully (warranty claims, if necessary).

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 19 June 2005
i would never buy a 182 again, and renault will be lucky if i ever get another of there cars ever again :)

What was so wrong with yours mate?

Re Audi build quality: my gfs dads A4 is nearly three years old now, and its as solid as it was when they got it. Theres not one squeek or rattle from it, the leather and plastics are of high quality along with other things I wouldnt have though to look at (like the boot, engine bay layout etc).

it would be easier to say what was right with it, but here is a little list, remember i only had the car for 6 months and was new when i got it

leaking engine (2 day rebuild), under warranty

2 new exhausts ,under warranty, and was never ever right after

alarm problems, under warranty, never fixed

misaligned door, had to pay myself ??? WTF

banging on acceleration, under warranty, never fixed

knocking when cornering, under warranty, never fixed

faulty dash lights , under warranty

faulty cruise switch, under warranty

leaking back suspension, never got fixed as i got pissed of and p/x it

+ lots more i cant even remember, add to that sh*t service from my garage and the fact renault uk are complete t**sers i wont buy another again, on the other hand my 172 cup was good, but i only had 4 months or so

BMW 120i Sport

Aiee, i dont blame you for getting rid of it then!!

I did have a few faults (first gear knocking, coolant temp sensor, passenger door not locking/unlocking), but my local Reg Vardy Renault were very quick/polite people when it comes to getting warranty work done - it was free and done in an afternoon.

You hear stories about Jap motors being fantasticly reliable (and im sure most of them are), but my sis took a drive up from London in her 6 month old Type R, coolant system failed, pissed all over the engine bay, cylinder head blew up, was with the dealership 5 weeks for a rebuild. Im sure it never took them that long to fix, but they had issues with oil pressure and the warning light coming on.

You get good ones and bad ones.

Cars eh.

One of the reasons I was doubting Audi quality is because a friend of mine has an A3 which has had a string of faults, like worn wheel bearings, which Id say was very poor considering its only on 15k miles. Theyre also only averagely rated in the fleet reliability and owner satisfaction surveys.

Just wanted to point out that were not alone, thats all!

320d

Doesnt seem much point getting 182 if youve already got a 172 cup youll be paying about £3000-£4000 extra for air con and leather

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

i have had alsorts of problems with my 172, however bhp/bucks theres not a lot else out there brand new. if your askin this question you arent 110% so prob not willing to put up with all the possible probs.

id never say dont buy 1 cos i think they are a good fun little car but id suggest seriously looking at some similar nearly new cars. the clio will lose a hell of a lot as soon as you buy it. why not pay the same money for something that somebody else has taken the hit for!

all just m opinion of course

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I cant say id NOT buy one because mine has been ace :D

Ive had it since March 04 and it hasnt had any warrenty work done since a few tiny niggles in the first week.

Id buy another :cool:

Lionel Richie

yeah buy one if you can stand the 4x4 ride height and the "worlds ugliest wheels"

apart from that theyre ok

Interestingly, according to Whar Car the 182 is one of the best small hot hatches in terms of cost of ownership over 3 years. Although it will be worth 49% trade at the end of that period (still pretty good overall), the fact you can get them cheap in the first place makes it one of the cheapest to own.

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 19 June 2005
yeah buy one if you can stand the 4x4 ride height and the "worlds ugliest wheels"apart from that theyre ok

Or - wheels that most people seem to like, and a sensible ride height that means not having to worry about grounding out all the time, yet still handling very well?