ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

would you buy a car without S.H.

Ive seen a clio sport for sale but with no service history. Its cheap and only has 25k but without the history Im a bit put off. The guy bought it from an insurance company, apparently it was vandalised and needed a new roof skin. would I be mad to consider it?

Its a bit weird for new cars to not have SH.

Id consider older cars no problems - receipts etc.. are often a better substitute. You can generally get a good idea from looking at the car to see whether or not its been looked after properly.

[Edited by Daz on 8/22/2005 1:17:43 PM]

Personally, I wouldnt consider buying a car which has had a new roof. If its been bought from an insurance company, then that would explain the lack of SH.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Not mad.. but make sure you do as many check to make sure its legit.. get an RAC checkover for the car, he will send you a report of anything he can find wrong with it and I believe they do an HPI check on it aswell.

clio 182 black /gold

Personaly i would not buy it, but that is just me. Years ago i have bought cars without and they have been sheds, but nowa days there are better built and looked after.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

it depends on who has owned it...... i bought my williams off a mechanic and he had done alot of the work himself so it didnt come with much s/h, but as long as the engine/car was running correctly then i would buy it regardless of s/h. although if it was a new car with no s/h i wud be a little concerned regarding the warranty and whether it wud have been voided unless of course it was a rover/mg, no such problems there!

the car in question is a 2001 phase 2. standard except for lowering springs. he wants £5850 for it, does that sound fair considereing the lack of history and previous damage? he also seems very keen to get rid, wants to drive it over to me in sheffield while on his way to leeds. Not sure about that as Id rather drive it from cold. What do you reckon, a bit suspect?

too much for no service history and damage... he will be lucky to find someone to buy it mate, so either dont buy it, or get an absolute bargain out of it, remember, its a 2001... i believe theres a 2002, admittedly its got more miles on it, but at least you know its past, on here for 6k in the for sale section. Have a shop around :) can get some real bargains at the mo.

[Edited by Hector on 22 August 2005 at 2:11pm]

BMW M3 - For Sale!

if you have doubts, then simply dont do it because if u do buy it, the doubts will always be with you

seems to me that your doubts are telling you not to buy it but you want us to convince you otherwise

forgot to say, damage is repaired now and you cant tell apparently. Ive seen the one on here, looks good but its just too far away! :(

I wouldnt buy a car with no SH. Even if its clearly been well looked after and well maintained when you come to sell it youll have greif or people trying to knock you down silly amounts because of it. The average bloke who knows f**k all about cars thinks SH=minter well maintained or no SH = sh*tter abused and unloved so avoid. This obviously isnt the case but you can garantee people will simply walk away or try to knock you down as a result.

Cant you get a duplicate of the service history?

If has been serviced in the UK then Renault should be able to replece the service book, fully stamped up. (at an extortionate cost of course:D)

unless it is DIRT cheap do not buy it as there are plenty of cheap genuine 172s around with service history and everything. People on here are right you may not mind at the mo but when you are selling it on it will be a hassle as it seriously puts most ppl off.

9 of ten times if there is no service history it hasnt been looked after - if your going to keep the car then insist on FSH, if your just having some fun for a few months and its a bargain then its not so important but go in with your eyes wide open.

SH is so easy to forge its not worth jack! Its seems to give lots piece of mind though.

All garages forge it!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

I bought my car without service history.

It makes things far more interesting i tell ye!

Give the registration number to any Reno dealer and they will be able to give you the history as far as they know ie from the spec when bought new through to each and every visit it has made to a Reno dealer.............so you should be able to get at least a partial history if not full eh :D

Cya Stu

Wheres that Mike?

Cya Stu

Oh wait a minute he did mention there was a dedicted V6 site..........have you been on there........where is it?

[Edited by stusV6 on 23 August 2005 at 10:52am]