ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you pay more for a 197 just because of Xenons??

Hi guys

Ive been away for awhile, having previously owned a FF172 and then a FF197

I traded in for a diesel and now im sooo fed up of the noise and smell and general lack of excitement that im coming back!!!

BUT.... heres the thing, I can get a nice low mileage 197 without xenons for £10,000 or with for £11,000!!

Is it worth the extra???

Please give oppinions ASAP!!

Thanks all

Tom

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
No such thing as a 172 FF and why did you get rid of the 197 beforehand?

£1k for xenons? Feck that.

of course there is, what else would you call it?? It was a non cup so I always though that would be classed as a Full Fat?

Ah well...........

I traded in the 197 for a diesel as I was doing more mileage etc but im now desperate for another!!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Got to be with xenons for me, but no way worth that premium, maybe £200 tops.
Sure it isnt colour/other spec doing it?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Link us to the cars? Can't be the only difference.

FF means cup packed, and the 172 never came with cups packs.

Da

Less
Xenons all the way.

With the onset of LED technology, Filament lamps are looking all the more dated.

Xenons all the way.

With the onset of LED technology Filament lamps are looking all the more dated.

I understand that and couldnt agree more but would you pay an extra £1000 for the privilege??

Its driving me mad. The cars in question are on autotrader, they both have similar specs, ie metallic, cabasse etc but one has xenons and I guess that also means auto lights and wipers from memory!!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
1000£ non.

but id rather have them than not, but not at £1k.

however on the 197 the front face looks totally different

35.jpg

RenaultClioCUp.jpg

Da

Less
I understand that and couldnt agree more but would you pay an extra £1000 for the privilege??

Its driving me mad. The cars in question are on autotrader, they both have similar specs, ie metallic, cabasse etc but one has xenons and I guess that also means auto lights and wipers from memory!!

I would pay more yes as you'll probably only end up adding them at a later date as you sound like you'll never be happy with the OE lights.

As stated though the £1000 gets you the auto pack too so whilst the benefits are there can the price be haggled at all?

People on here pay £1k for a pair of seats, I know what I'd rather have...

Personally i'd not pay a grand for them.

I also don't think xenons are really all that anyway (before I get cained) I drive a mk2 172 a fair bit.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Links to both cars?

Not really justified for £1k extra, find out how much to fit xenons after?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Xenon's should be manditory.

so should a spell check tbh.

£1000 for xenons? you need your head checking tbh if you are even considering spending an extra 1k just for the lights...

But at the end of the day, it is up to YOU. It doesn't matter how many people say do it or don't do it. it is you who is paying for it out of your own pocket. For what it is worth I wouldn't.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
08/08 cupped with xenons on clio 197 must have gone cheap as dealer has it at £11K

Trophy #490
For me to even consider buying a 197 it would have to have xenons. I wouldn't buy one if the car didn't have them. I know its a tiny thing, but it completely changes the look of the car IMO, they look so much better with them. Should be standard on 197's, like on the normal for want of a better term 'FF' 172/182's.

I wish my car had xenons!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
For me to even consider buying a 197 it would have to have xenons. I wouldn't buy one if the car didn't have them. I know its a tiny thing, but it completely changes the look of the car IMO, they look so much better with them. Should be standard on 197's, like on the normal for want of a better word 'FF' 172/182's.

I wish my car had xenons!

buy them! its the only thing i would change when buying a trophy.

RB R27
When I was lookin for the 197 I REALLY wanted the car to have the xenons just because it makes the front of the car look so much better. But when I managed to find an R27 for the price I paid then I overlooked the fact that it had no extras on it, so no xenons. I really wish it had them on it, but I always considered buying the light cluster just for the black surround and then fitting brighter whiter lights. If I had the chance I would have had all the extras ;)

Broken Diesel Megane :(
i was offered a cracking deal on a new r26 (cancelled order) but just couldnt commit to paying £xx for a car that wasnt specced as i wanted.

Clio RS 197
xenons are badboy!!

you could just get a HID kit.

no where near as good as real thing though!!

and you would still have silver head lights surrounds

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I would pay more yes as you'll probably only end up adding them at a later date as you sound like you'll never be happy with the OE lights.

As stated though the £1000 gets you the auto pack too so whilst the benefits are there can the price be haggled at all?

People on here pay £1k for a pair of seats, I know what I'd rather have...
the auto pack was a seperate option, if you got the xenons it was a £500 option and was just xenons with 'dedicated cornering lights'

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
1000£ non.

but id rather have them than not, but not at £1k.

however on the 197 the front face looks totally different

35.jpg

RenaultClioCUp.jpg

The R27 pictured hasnt got Xenons, it has the Halogen cornering lamps ;) (no headlamp washers). Handy though as thats what mine was fited with. They are exactly the same light clusters as the Xenon units, just missing the ballasts and Xenon bulb. I fitted an after marked HID kit, and retro fitted washers. When getting a 197 it HAD to have the Black clusters, being the Halogen or Xenon units. They make the front end more aggresive imo

Mine

DSC01738.jpg

DSC01732.jpg

Last edited:
  PH1 172 Sport
Surely in the current climate you could get quite a bit of money off of the more expensive one anyway?

RB R27
The R27 pictured hasnt got Xenons, it has the Halogen cornering lamps ;) (no headlamp washers). Handy though as thats what mine was fited with. They are exactly the same light clusters as the Xenon units, just missing the ballasts and Xenon bulb. I fitted an after marked HID kit, and retro fitted washers. When getting a 197 it HAD to have the Black clusters, being the Halogen or Xenon units. They make the front end more aggresive imo

Mine

DSC01738.jpg

DSC01732.jpg

I'm not bothered about the washers or the actual xenons at all, I just want the clusters lol Your car looks shweet, I need to get some pics of my R27 up with the cheapo nasty silver clusters ;)

2007 Clio 197
Keep looking, anyone who is trying to sell to you at that price is a dreamer. Don't be afraid to offer low and see what they come out with, especially if you're paying cash.

Honda ATR
Hi matey there are plenty of 197 on autotrader, you should be able to get one within your budget with zenons!! as long as you dont mind traveling. My friend got a 56 plate one the other month with all the extras for 8.5k and it had only done 5000 miles. People are desperate to sell their motors so just be a cheaky b*****d and offer them stupid money.

Renaultsport 200
Xenons are a must but if you pay a grand for them then your being ripped off. There must be something else putting the price up. Milage? Spec?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'm not bothered about the washers or the actual xenons at all, I just want the clusters lol Your car looks shweet, I need to get some pics of my R27 up with the cheapo nasty silver clusters ;)

Cheers :cool:

Sport headlamps with cornering lamps then ;)