ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wrapping!!

172 cup
Heard a little about this and seen the thread on the audi being wrapped.

Been toying with the idea of getting the roof done in black and wondered if anyone knew how much it would cost and what the paintwork is like when it comes off?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Pm jat_172cup (something like that). Has a cup, and wrapped the roof black iirc.
Paintwork would be mint on removal.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
i was quoted 211 quid for gloss black from sign express.

can see it looking any good on your car though...

Civic Em1, Civic Eg4
When i rang up about it, the guy who ran the business told me that black can sometimes look bad because they use a squeegee to get all the air bubbles out and get it smooth it gives light scratches in the vinyl, like paint gets swirls..but you cant get these scratches out.
I just never had the time to go see hm to get it done, he was going to demonstrate on a cut off to show me what he meant.

Clio 182 arctic
When i rang up about it, the guy who ran the business told me that black can sometimes look bad because they use a squeegee to get all the air bubbles out and get it smooth it gives light scratches in the vinyl, like paint gets swirls..but you cant get these scratches out.
I just never had the time to go see hm to get it done, he was going to demonstrate on a cut off to show me what he meant.
whoever told you that must be s**t or doesnt want your business. i work for a signs express and we use felt squeegies on naked vinyl, plus if its a printed colour it should be laminated so therefore protected from light scratching.

Clio 182 arctic
Heard a little about this and seen the thread on the audi being wrapped.

Been toying with the idea of getting the roof done in black and wondered if anyone knew how much it would cost and what the paintwork is like when it comes off?

paintwork is sometimes hit and miss. if its factory paint and has been pretty well looked after then it shouldnt be a problem but i would be wary of getting anything resprayed wrapped. we have got a contract with a fleet company now to change livery's and every other vehicle has paint coming off with the old vinyl.

All i can say is there is some mark up on this vinyl that people use to wrap roofs etc.

My step dad is a sign writer and said £90 !!!!

He would call his supplier (Spandex) and it'd be nowhere near that to wrap my car :rasp:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Someone in media now with a Cup and what looks like a wrapped roof in black and it's the perfect advert on why it shouldn't be done as it looks s**t.

Clio 172 Cup
Getting plain black vinyl applied will scratch in the process. Even felt squeegee's will mark the vinyl. The price on vinyl varies on type and spec of the vinyl. Make sure you don't get palmed off with Calendered vinyl, becuase it will shrink and pull back, this is due the the nature of how it's manufactured. You want cast vinyl.

We used to wrap Mini roofs for local bmw dealers on a regular basis, using 3M or Avery Cast vinyls with great results.

It's a bit like paint work tho, don't go for the cheapest option, look at their handy work to make your mind up from that.

Mk1 Ph3
Wrapstar_double_poster.jpg

This?

Clio 172 Cup
All vinyls would stand upto typical weather, even snow. Matt Black or Carbon would be my choice, because of how gloss black marks, it's softer then black paint.

Clio 182 arctic
Getting plain black vinyl applied will scratch in the process. Even felt squeegee's will mark the vinyl. The price on vinyl varies on type and spec of the vinyl. Make sure you don't get palmed off with Calendered vinyl, becuase it will shrink and pull back, this is due the the nature of how it's manufactured. You want cast vinyl.

We used to wrap Mini roofs for local bmw dealers on a regular basis, using 3M or Avery Cast vinyls with great results.

It's a bit like paint work tho, don't go for the cheapest option, look at their handy work to make your mind up from that.

Calendered vinyl is 100% fine for clio roofs, calendered is also fine for curves, hell you could even wrap a van/car in calendered, the only place it wouldnt last is in recesses, curves are fine. the gumball 3000 cars are all wrapped in calendered vinyl (metamark md5 iirc) and many keep them on for months and months without issues. like i say curves are fine, its the recesses where it wont last.

Clio 172 Cup
it's not ideal for long term tho, creep back and stretch marks from installation will flaw the finish. Also the calendered stuff is normally alot thicker then the cast stuff giving a very distinct edge.