ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WRC 2 Fiesta R5 testing @ Greystoke, Cumbria

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Shelley and I were lucky enough to get an invite from our nephew Gus Greensmith to have a passenger ride in a Fiesta R5. We got up to the Greystoke area early yesterday and was presented with a very focused M-Sport setup, consisting of Gus's car and another - along with engineers, mechanics and a perfectly closed off 3km stage.

Below are a few pics from the day - along with some slightly amateurish and YouTube-battered camera footage!

upload_2018-2-27_20-28-15.png

upload_2018-2-27_20-26-31.png

upload_2018-2-27_20-26-55.png

Proper gravel roads!
upload_2018-2-27_20-27-37.png

upload_2018-2-27_20-27-52.png

upload_2018-2-27_20-28-30.png

Spares, anyone?!
upload_2018-2-27_20-29-1.png

upload_2018-2-27_20-29-13.png

upload_2018-2-27_20-29-36.png

upload_2018-2-27_20-29-43.png

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

And my passenger ride. Despite being 6"1' tall, the co-driver seat is mounted so low in the chassis, that I barely saw out and above the dash. I kept quiet - trying to absorb and really appreciate everything that was going on, and also to allow Gus to concentrate. Not that I probably would have distracted him anyway.

All in all - a superb day and an awesome experience. Loved it!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Love it, thanks for the insight @Darren S !

The real shame is that you can't buy road going rally cars anymore. 4WD Fiesta with 300bhp and no nonsense, yes please.
Gus was saying that on gravel, they are capable of 0-60 in around 3.5secs. On tarmac, that’s down towards 3secs.

Launch control was pretty epic - a shame that the footage doesn’t really reflect that. :neutral:

Clio 172 (CUP)
Awesome, looked like a great experience, thanks for sharing. What a weapon that car is, if only you could buy one, indeed [emoji7]

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I'm pleased for Gus, though I think there is going to be a bit of pressure on him to before this year. He gets a bit of stick, but I know someone that worked with him in the early days and rated him really highly.

I can't help but feel a bit down about the whole M-Sport situation though. I wonder sometimes why Malcolm Wilson shows such loyalty for Ford, as they haven't supported him properly for years.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Missed the original post first time around but that's cool as f**k. I follow M-Sport on Instagram and they put something on their story yesterday about championing young talent, Gus being one of them.

The inlaws have a Cabin in Lamonby and a few times when we've been up, we've heard the cars practising/testing in the forest. FIL has been over the fence from his cabin, walked through the trees a bit and spectated from there when it's not technically been open to the public for watching. Definitely something I want to go see this year, fingers crossed.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Cheers guys - yep, very fortunate! Maybe I should learn some co-driving skills in order to get back in there more often? 😄

Shelley's turn was a 'bit' more vocal than mine! :tongueout:

Team America wave ha ha ha ha sounds like she had a blast

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm pleased for Gus, though I think there is going to be a bit of pressure on him to before this year. He gets a bit of stick, but I know someone that worked with him in the early days and rated him really highly.

I can't help but feel a bit down about the whole M-Sport situation though. I wonder sometimes why Malcolm Wilson shows such loyalty for Ford, as they haven't supported him properly for years.
I honestly don't know how he keeps a level head with it all. I was chatting to him the other day about something completely different and he just converses like anyone else would. Oh, but by the way you've got this whole WRC thing going on this year too....! o_O

Still kind of chuffed how I used to race against him on the PS1 with Gran Turismo as a little kid - him bouncing off the circuit walls and me waiting half a lap ahead for him to catch up. Fast forward to now and he's at a level of driving ability that I could only dream of replicating.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Pants would definitely have been brown here if that was me!