ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wreckfest

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Having made a total (of, iirc?) 1,611 days in alpha - Wreckfest finally got its release day. There was a large update yesterday, which I've yet to try it - though the beta version before was great in itself.

The driving mechanics are very simple - far more Destruction Derby than anything resembling Project Cars 2 or Assetto Corsa. However, its for that reason that the game is just great fun. Races are short - typically 4 or 5 laps by default and there's a ton of bonus points to be awarded from different ways and methods that you've damaged opposing cars. On top of that, there are some additional incentives within the race to gain more experience and points - like spinning 5 cars out in the race, or smashing 3 cars out completely. I particularly like the Rival feature, where upon receiving heavy damage from one particular car, a red marker appears above it to make it easier to hunt down.

There are small upgrades like filters, exhausts, engines, and bodywork to tweak the cars further and the AI balance seems good, but not too difficult. All in all, a welcome diversion from the usual racing type games. The demolition derby races are ok, but I personally have a lot more fun on the circuits - which have a distinct feel and appearance of those used in Rally Cross.

Certainly worth looking into if you fancy something different.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
This is a weird one, devs obviously gave up on it completely for at least a year? Then all of a sudden a few months ago it came back to life and was half decent again!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
This is a weird one, devs obviously gave up on it completely for at least a year? Then all of a sudden a few months ago it came back to life and was half decent again!

Yep - quite strange. I’d pretty much given up on it myself! It was sat that in my Steam library literally for years with the occasional update, but it seemed to be in perpetual development - and it looked like it. Rough around the edges and really quite shallow, it just felt like an ongoing demo that received some tweaks every now and then.

Then last month, there was a flurry of comments on Steam and online about it. Either someone at Bugbear has been cracking the whip to get it finished or they’ve had a fair bit of investment and backing.

Either way, I’m glad to see that it’s finally made it. It’s a fun game - especially when the majority of racing games deter you from nudging or crashing in anyway - this is the total opposite!

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Love the game but the newer menu system is a bit of a t**t.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Love the game but the newer menu system is a bit of a t**t.

Yeah - a bit awkward. I think they’ve tried to copy the ‘box’ look of Project Cars 2 - but it’s a bit messy.

Also, has anyone noticed if you can change the tyres in this? You could in the likes of the Flatout series.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Looking forward to this, needed something half decent since Destruction Derby 2.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I just have to wait till November is it for PS4, so I'm stuck with watching YouTube clips of it. It looks fun, little bit of a career mode in there also. I miss team names like Suicide Squad, The Butcher, Learner Driver, Heavy Metal Hero, Grim Reaper, The Doctor, The General etc.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
That said, after watching some videos I think this is something my boy will absolutely love, me also having been a massive destruction derby fan back in the day.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a bump on this thread. I've been playing through the career mode and thoroughly enjoying it. The actively encouraged driving style of punting the opposition off the track just doesn't get boring - especially when you manage to time your move and shove them into oncoming traffic and/or a wall or post. The other risk & reward trade off is when you're gaining on the car in front. Do you slow down into the upcoming corner as you know you're already going too fast? Or actually speed up in the hope that you manage to T-bone the car ahead as it turns in?

It's been good fun so far, but some of the gameplay choices built into the game are questionable. For one, I really don't like how the majority of races are just three laps - often of tight, twisty circuits. You cause a bit of carnage or get caught up in some that is not of your doing and you can pretty much say goodbye to a podium place. Also, some bonuses are a bit crap - like leading a race for two laps - and that's on a three lap race. With many races having no qualification rounds, you'll be starting in 11th or 12th position of a 16 car grid - giving you effectively one shot at getting to the head of the pack by the first corner, or again, you'll be really struggling to finish well. Oh and don't leave the gearbox on auto - the QE2 shifts gears quicker than any car you have. Bogging down in corners with far too high a gear and then randomly slamming down two gears when you line the car up to go straight. The sound effects (of the engines in particular) are a bit weak also.

But those are niggling gripes really and it doesn't deter from the fact that this is still the best smash up racing game out there. There are lots of items for download on the Steam Workshop too - I've nabbed a 2GB paint livery one and another 2GB+ map pack, which both add to the variety of it all.

Down to sub £14 at the minute on cdkeys.... https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/wreckfest-pc-steam-cd-key

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
My biggest gripe is there aren't enough championships etc and you better like grinding, because you need that cash and it don't come quick. Well unless you pick one particular track, 60laps, use a Class D car, turn everything off (in my case ABS fully off), maximum destruction and Class A cars. Try and stick to them at the back of the grid but avoid contact, let them kill each other and make sure you unlap yourself if needed. Once you're "wayyyyyy out in front" (DD2 ref) wreck yourself, you'll get about 10 or 12k.

Also anybody else find themselves playing the DD1 and DD2 music whilst playing it and occasionally saying "you just wrecked your car", "you're just grinding metal", "Wo-oh-ohhhhh"? No, just me? I played way too much Destruction Derby as a kid.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Must admit - the Tournament addition is nice - had a couple of goes last night and got this achievement.

Surely won't stay at 1.0% for long as it was stupidly easily to get.

1589530017684.png

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Liking the Road Rage mode...

Had a dabble online earlier too which is initially weird to get your head around. You traditionally spend your time in racing games trying to avoid the opposition - not smash them into other cars. Good fun though. 😎

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Liking the Road Rage mode...

Had a dabble online earlier too which is initially weird to get your head around. You traditionally spend your time in racing games trying to avoid the opposition - not smash them into other cars. Good fun though. 😎

Is that DLC? Not been on in a little while but might have to have a go again that looks like a good laugh.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Online is great, only mode I’ve played!
Had another couple of rounds just now - that bus was being driven by an Admin in the lobby. The wrong way.... :LOL:

Just chaos all the way through. If I was being picky, the only thing that lets it down are the car engine noises - which are a bit weak and generic. Apart from that though, it's a proper laugh online.

1589632351036.png

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Enjoying this, nearly finished the first championship.

The lawnmower races are brilliant 😂

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Anybody been playing this recently?

The PS5 version is epic, haptic feedback means you can feel it locking up and feed the brakes on with no ABS.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Play it every day on my Xbox one. Would love to see what it’s like on a next gen console.