ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Write off question

Hi my car is currently in a garage being repair assessed. If they class it as a write off, do I get the option to put it back to standard before it foes into thier possession?

Worried they are gonna nick my alloys wit new tyres, cd player, renny seats etc.

whats the procedure lads?

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Im pretty sure that they will just take the car as it is. If you get on with the garage owner they might let you take bits off but only after the assessment has been carried out. The only other alternative is to find out which scrap yard its ended up in and buy the bits back off them.

Lee

BMW M2C

I wrote one off years ago and they assessed it, then let me go and take out what I wanted!!! Then paid up more than it was worth.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Normally the value is based on "the current state".

So if you start taking bits out, they may adjust the value.

It all depends on the insurance co.

Lee

BMW M2C

I was lucky, but I was going to add, it wasnt anything more than tax, matts and headunit I swapped out. Wheels are a little more major.

did you declare the mods?

If so you should get the value of them back aswell as the book value of your car.

Thats how i thought it worked anyway

Clio 197

Its YOUR car at the end of the day...

So you should be able to take it (especially if its driveable), and do what you like with it?