ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

xbox one

ive a friend who would like a a xbox one but im abit concerned knowing these consoles rely on a internet connection will he be able to use it to play games offline

i can't find much of answer

cheers :eek:

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
You need an internet connection to set it up after that you do not need a connection so he will be able to play games offline.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, you can play games offline no problem.

The mandatory daily sign in was never implemented, which is a shame as it enable other cool features. Unfortunately it was picked up by the press, mis-sold in early XBO articles, the usual morons known as the general public complained and now we all suffer because of it.

Yaris Hybrid

The mandatory daily sign in was never implemented, which is a shame as it enable other cool features. Unfortunately it was picked up by the press, mis-sold in early XBO articles, the usual morons known as the general public complained and now we all suffer because of it.

This.

Said morons have no trouble signing in daily to pr0n sites and gaming forums to whine about how they can't connect every day!

If their connections were that bad (clearly they ain't) then they should have b*tched at their ISP and not MS.

Still for me the main selling point of the XO over the PS4 is that you can use it as a voice activated media hub for Netflix, Youtube and TV etc so I don't really see the point in having one if you can't connect.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

^ Indeed - well said.

its more of a case he doesn't have internet at

they on offer at sainsburys with 2 games & staff discount means a huge saving ;)

cheers

LY 200 EDC LUX
The mandatory daily sign in was a stupid idea, and MS made the right decision in scrapping it.

LY 200 EDC LUX
Care to expand on that?

sure.

there are hundreds of thousands of people who don't have the Internet but like to play games.

What about people like the Army, Navy and RAF who live in barracks and don't have access to the Internet that want to play. By getting rid of this feature, MS have no doubt sold countless more units (me for one) and that is what it comes down to when all is said and done......sales!

Yaris Hybrid
I think you can't constantly restrict the capability of things to suit small minorities that are in an unfortunate position. Otherwise a small number of people will be holding everyone else back for years.

But in the end the market will do the talking because there is no business reason to support a tiny number of people like the armed forces at the expense of everyone else.

It only takes something like Steam boxes offering cheap digital download only games (and mandatory online) a few years from now when the current consoles are looking dated and that will be the end of this silliness. If enough people that don't live in barracks (the massive majority) say feck this crap and move over to an online based system then it will be game over.

Still makes no sense to make a console need an online connection when games are still physically bought. I don't currently have an issue as ive got a internet connection in my room in the block, when i get posted to germany, cyprus etc i certainly dont expect to have a console that cannot be used. minority or not.

On topic
Does anyone experience sky freezing when the TV is switched off for a while but the console still on? (sky plugged into console HDMI in)

LY 200 EDC LUX
I think you can't constantly restrict the capability of things to suit small minorities that are in an unfortunate position. Otherwise a small number of people will be holding everyone else back for years.

But in the end the market will do the talking because there is no business reason to support a tiny number of people like the armed forces at the expense of everyone else.

It only takes something like Steam boxes offering cheap digital download only games (and mandatory online) a few years from now when the current consoles are looking dated and that will be the end of this silliness. If enough people that don't live in barracks (the massive majority) say feck this crap and move over to an online based system then it will be game over.

I see what your saying, but having a mandatory daily sign-in is utterly pointless. What is the advantage of having it over not having it? Unless its some sort of security feature, I don't see the point in it? Its never been an issue before, so why suddenly have it?

For example, lets say that Microsoft decided to incorporate it. You instantly rule out probably a few hundred thousand sales (yes, the minority, but still a lot!).

Now let's say that Microsoft DON'T include it. Those with Internet can still access everything, whenever they want,
24/7, so they aren't losing out, but this time, those couple of hundred thousand who previously couldent even use the console, Now CAN.

Its a complete no-brainer and nobody loses.

LY 200 EDC LUX
Still makes no sense to make a console need an online connection when games are still physically bought. I don't currently have an issue as ive got a internet connection in my room in the block, when i get posted to germany, cyprus etc i certainly dont expect to have a console that cannot be used. minority or not.

On topic
Does anyone experience sky freezing when the TV is switched off for a while but the console still on? (sky plugged into console HDMI in)

Out of interest mate, are you with Wifinity?

Yaris Hybrid
On topic

I've had a number of bugs like that with Sky or the TV app freezing up under various circumstances on Xbox One. Sometimes it is just the sound that is lost, other times it is like my Xbox can no longer see the TV signal and I have to turn everything off at the mains.

Sometimes switching between HD and SD channels triggers the issue.

I've had three instances today. The first was when I turned the Xbox on this morning and tried to watch TV. I'd left the Sky box set to a movie channel when I turned it off and went to bed and when I turned on Sky (at the same time I launched the TV app) it was frozen with the pin code entry thing for the age protection but just stuck and I couldn't do anything. I had to turn it all off at the mains.

The second I believe was a loss of sound where I had turn off the Xbox and turn it on again.

Then I had another picture issue later on which I solved by closing the TV app and reopening it.

One of the latter two was caused by switching between HD and SD. For added complication the Xbox HDMI out goes into my home cinema amp and from there to the TV.

All of this is quite common and doesn't happen when connected direct to the TV. You can see just from looking at the programme guide that the XO is screwing around as normally the programme guide is the same quality image whether on an SD or HD channel but when connected via XO you see the writing is fuzzy when viewing an SD channel. When switching between SD and HD channels it is flawless and seemless when connected direct to the TV but when going via the XO you see it squash the screen first and then flicker and expand it etc. Often goes black for a bit before the picture appears and there can be no sound for another 5 seconds. Sometimes u never get a picture or sound and have to reset. Weird.