ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

xenon bulb gone

Black 182
one of my xenons stopped working so I went to find out how much to replace the bulb..........stealers wanted £160!!! some Motorsave place want £108!! I've found a genuine philips replacement bulb on hids4u for £49.99

I've removed the old bulb and its definately blown.....my questions are...

does this definately mean the bulb has gone and its not the ballasts or starter kit?

I can see that its simple to do the replacement myself but can I get it wrong??

Any help much appreciated

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
How do you know its definatley blown? I thought one of mine was cause of the black marks on the bit in the middle but turned out to be my ballast.

Black 182
well i think its blown, it definately looks blown as there is dirty makrks on the inside in the middle of the bulb and the wire bit in the middle looks like its burnt out

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
well i think its blown, it definately looks blown as there is dirty makrks on the inside in the middle of the bulb and the wire bit in the middle looks like its burnt out

My new ones looked like that, the only way to be sure is swap the bulb or ballast for a known working one.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
No its underneath the headlight unit, bumper off job to get to it. When I bought mine it cost me £250 from hids4u for two new ones.

Black 182
help!! just bought a house as well!! that is an expense I could do without! i'll try the other bulb from the working side then.

Thanks for your help

Black 182
cheers guys, i'm going to swap the bulb over at the weekend. Just to be sure, when I swap the bulb over is there a risk I'll blow it if I connect it incorrectly or do I just stick it in and see??

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
ps whats the make of the standard d2s bulbs the clio left the factory with

are they phillips ones

Black 182
ps whats the make of the standard d2s bulbs the clio left the factory with

are they phillips ones

I removed the standard one without taking bumper off - a little fiddly but if you have the patience (and small hands) its not too bad. Not sure about putting it back in though, not got that far!!

The bulb I removed was a philips but at the prices I've been quoted I'll get the ones from your (richlawson) e-bay link if its the bulb thats gone!!!

Cheers

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
glad to help lol

might need one soon my left bulb is going pink for some strange reason

ps you can get a phillips one from hids4u.com for 50 pound

Black 182
right i've finally managed to check what is not working!! the bulb is fine, swapped it over and it worked, then checked the other starter pack with the bulb in and that worked too. so its definately the ballast.

does anyone know exactly the ballast i need? i've looked on e bay and they don't look too expensive but there are a lot to choose from.....or does anyone know of anyone selling one??

Thanks for all your help because i would have just gone and bought a new bulb otherwise!!

In between cars....
right i've finally managed to check what is not working!! the bulb is fine, swapped it over and it worked, then checked the other starter pack with the bulb in and that worked too. so its definately the ballast.

does anyone know exactly the ballast i need? i've looked on e bay and they don't look too expensive but there are a lot to choose from.....or does anyone know of anyone selling one??

Thanks for all your help because i would have just gone and bought a new bulb otherwise!!

Youll need to get a ballast pack from another 172 or 182 mate, they are very specific, trawl the for sale section, there was a few in there recently :)