ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon headlamps - how heavy??

Clio 200 Black and White
I have a 182 FF, how much weight could I save by switching from the xenon to the cup- spec headlamps?

I guess there's not much difference in the light unit, but I imagine the auto leveling system and washer system weighs a few kilos.

I think on a mini it was around 10kg, which is why they deleted xenon a on the original Works GP.

Any ideas?

Cup In bits
I'm being serious, there is very little to no difference, I would be surprised if its 1kg between the sets.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
nowhere near that, I ripped xenon ones out the car i'm breaking recently and they weighted pretty much sweet FA

Cup In bits
That's between a 'set' I'm saying. Ballast's, ignitors and the fish eye lenses is the only difference between them.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
that comment wasn't aimed at the 1kg difference, it was aimed at the original 10kg comment ;)

Trophy #491
I replaced my standard with xexons last weekend. They are noticeably heaver then 1Kg i'd say.

I'd highly doubt it would affect the performance of your car though.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Unless you are already down to 800kg and are at the stage of weighing your wheel nuts, it's not worth it. You certainly won't notice a difference.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I replaced my standard with xexons last weekend. They are noticeably heaver then 1Kg i'd say.

I'd highly doubt it would affect the performance of your car though.

really? I thought the xenon ones were light tbh, not much more than a couple of kg each max, so I doubt just a ballast, bulb and optic will way that much more and certainly not a kilo...surely??!lol!

I am used to heavy ass glass mk1 headlights tho so its a surprise to me anyway how light the mk2 lights are, and how damn big they are!!

Trophy #491
really? I thought the xenon ones were light tbh, not much more than a couple of kg each max, so I doubt just a ballast, bulb and optic will way that much more and certainly not a kilo...surely??!lol!

I am used to heavy ass glass mk1 headlights tho so its a surprise to me anyway how light the mk2 lights are, and how damn big they are!!

Held the xenon in one hand and the standard on in the other. There is no more then 3 or 4 Kgs in it (over both the lights). Like McGerkin said you will never be able to tell the difference in performance.

Clio 200 Black and White
I'm not talking about the light clusters, I knew there is not a great difference there.

However, the xenons also have motors and a self leveling system, I would guess that all weighs a fair bit.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I believe they have that built in, if not god knows where it is as theres nothing else around them on the front of the car

Cup In bits
Ahhhhh, that makes sense, thanks mate.

I won't go ripping mine out just this moment then!

Auto leveling is under the rear of the car iirc

Its a complete light unit, nothing out with or that's attached to the light needs to be fitted.

By law all xenons should have a self levelling system (from factory, fitted to the rear axle) which you won't need for retro fitting unless your tester knows the book and clio's inside out and he's a helmet.

Clio 200 Black and White
Mine already has the self leveling system fitted - it's a 182 FF so has xenons as standard.

If I removed it, how much weight would I save?

It may not be a massive weight saving but it would cost nothing and I can't say I would miss the xenons particularly.