ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon Look?

Csp

ph1

Hi everyone,

Posting this as i need a wee bit of advice

I have had a look through and read nearly every post on bulbs but people mainly talk about conversions

I own a clio Mk2 1.4 S year 2000. I am wanting to give my front light's an upgrade but am unsure what bulbs to buy and where from?, there is no way i am willing to pay 200-300 for a conversion kit, so my question is, are there any 'upgrade bulbs' out there that have the same or simular look as Xenon's?

A few people have suggested, Ultra bulbs, H7 . Basically take the standard bulb out, and replace with an Xenon type bulb

For example, how about this type of thing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-0...item3a55d83386

Thanks for any help :D

Inferno 182 CUP
seriously ive spent more on light bulbs for my cars than i have on food for my family

nothing .. i mean NOTHING will give you xenon look except xenon HID bulbs ..

those ebay ones wil be s**t

260% JCW
Ultra bulbs are good, Cant beat the real deal though. You can pick the xenon kits up for £150 now or as stated buy some projector headlights.

Iirc the 1.4 S cars had these headlights?

lightsfrontSmall.jpg

Instead of these ones...
Clio3-headlamp.gif

If thats the case then you can simply add an HID conversion kit that you can get off here from MT Audio for £55.

If not, then you will have to buy the first style headlights then the HID kit. Do NOT put an HID kit in your car if your headlights look like the second picture I posted

you can put hid's in whatever headlamps you got. they will be illegal though but who cares aslong as you adjust your lights so you dont blind people... lots of glare :D

you can put hid's in whatever headlamps you got. they will be illegal though but who cares aslong as you adjust your lights so you dont blind people... lots of glare :D

You will when you get pulled and slapped with a £60 fine for your troubles.

Projecter headlamps + hid bulbs or nothing is the option here

I commented on the friends thread about the bulbs,

The white bulbs from ebay non branded are s**t, look pretty and do nothing major for light source etc, there are branded whiter bulbs out there that are recommended by some people, like Philips extreme range i think..

From experience mucking about with bulbs i always recommend, Osram night breaker bulbs, still orange but whiter and look good, if your nor after that then as said xenon units which are pricey or HIDs which i wouldn't recommendas they blind people and i think is now part of the new MOT law and will probably fail.

Csp

ph1
Iirc the 1.4 S cars had these headlights?

lightsfrontSmall.jpg

Instead of these ones...
Clio3-headlamp.gif

If thats the case then you can simply add an HID conversion kit that you can get off here from MT Audio for £55.

If not, then you will have to buy the first style headlights then the HID kit. Do NOT put an HID kit in your car if your headlights look like the second picture I posted

Yeh there the headlights DM

Csp

ph1
I commented on the friends thread about the bulbs,

The white bulbs from ebay non branded are s**t, look pretty and do nothing major for light source etc, there are branded whiter bulbs out there that are recommended by some people, like Philips extreme range i think..

From experience mucking about with bulbs i always recommend, Osram night breaker bulbs, still orange but whiter and look good, if your nor after that then as said xenon units which are pricey or HIDs which i wouldn't recommendas they blind people and i think is now part of the new MOT law and will probably fail.

Im not after HID bulbs as i dont have the convertor kit, im just after a Direct replacement with existing lamps, you mention Osram night breaker, if i replaced my standard bulbs with these (link below) thats legal right

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Osram-Nig...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb54b70e4

Csp

ph1
From experience mucking about with bulbs i always recommend, Osram night breaker bulbs, still orange but whiter and look good,

Wished those Osram night breaker gave of more white light :dapprove:

Last edited:

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I took this comparison pic when I fitted my Nightbreakers. I'll hold off telling you which is which.

SC03OTT_jettapic011.gif

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Yeah it is the left one. I do think it looks a little whiter. Could be because I want it to look whiter though.

Csp

ph1
You have projector headlights, may as well make full use of them and fit a plug and play real HID kit mate :)

Lot of people bought these already on here, I have one of the kits on my 172, which have the same headlights as your car. The difference is amazing, is a comparison pic on there too :)

http://www.evobits.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&product_id=92

£55 serious?, someone told me il'd be looking at about 200-250ish, it says you get ballasts wiring and bulbs, what bulbs come with it, dipped bean and full bean? what did you do about the sidelights? how are the bulbs that come with it? ive seen bulbs worth more than the whole kit lol,

thanks for helping out, that kit seems really cheep

a low one
I've got the same kit from paul and its spot on mate. Brilliant kit! Get everything you need, no high beam though, you use the standard high beam and you get free LED side lights to match the HIDs

clio williams, Ph1 172
Its really easy to fit. The plug that normally goes into the bulb just plugs into the ballast. Just plug and play. Takes bout 10 mins to fit them seriously :)
You only need them on low beam, you can have them on high beam too but there arent any projectors on the high beam side of the headlights, you just have to fit a second kit. You really dont need them though, I never use my high beam as the HIDs are so much brighter anyway on low beam :D
Yeh free LED white sidelights with them too.

Csp

ph1
okay thanks, the 172 may have the same projector headlights, but are you adamant the wiring is also the same? and will work with that kit, sorry for questions :approve:

Csp

ph1
Edit: do you have a link for the replacment bulbs? sorry to be a pain, may aswell buy some spares

Csp

ph1
  clio williams, Ph1 172
it'll take you ten mins seriously :) I can do a kit in less than 5 now lol. so simple. plug in and your away :)

police arnt that bothered about hids round here.. its not a major town or city.. its a little country town so they don't bother you unless your speeding

Csp

ph1

Like you said DM, i have Projecter headlamps so its all good, i'll order a kit very soon :approve: thanks for the help

Csp

ph1
Getting a few mixed emssages from the net and i quote

''They are illegal because your not allowed to convert existing lamp units to use HID bulbs,''

''saying it is illegal to convert halogen lamp housings to run HID equipment, it doesnt say that you cannont use HID lamps only that you cannot convert old halogen lamps to xenon''

:S

chumpmobile
i don't think it is illegal.

if the police say you're not allowed them, take them off, simples.

Getting a few mixed emssages from the net and i quote

''They are illegal because your not allowed to convert existing lamp units to use HID bulbs,''

''saying it is illegal to convert halogen lamp housings to run HID equipment, it doesnt say that you cannont use HID lamps only that you cannot convert old halogen lamps to xenon''

:S

The lights on your car are designed for Xenon headlights, but Renault put normal Halogen bulbs in them as standard so it is perfectly legal to fit an HID kit to your particular lights.

Its just the Halogen headlights that are illegal with HID bulbs as they were never designed to take such bulbs

police arnt that bothered about hids round here.. its not a major town or city.. its a little country town so they don't bother you unless your speeding

It's not the Police I'd be worried about, its the poor sod coming the other way down the country road that is getting blinded by your headlights and ends up going threw a hedge backwards on fire.

Csp

ph1
RTGpC.png

So basically them Quotes would be true if used with these, just wanted to make sure, plus M.O.T :p