ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenons Help

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted some new xenons today. Have a few questions.

Looking at getting some new dipped beam bulbs, I was thinking 8000k. I like the look of that.
image.jpg

What would match the LED sidelight bulbs I have, would 8000k be a good match for that, or would 6000k be a better match?
Where should I get the bulbs from? And what make, is there a specific make for xenons? I don't want crappy eBay ones. Are Phillips the best ones?

As mine is a 1.2 do they still have auto levelling? I heard the motor going while I was lowering the car off the jack and often hear it, but don't see much movement in the lights. They are quite low already, It isn't a visible straight line, but I think it's because of my side lights. I know there's a sensor on the rear beam in the middle iirc? Does a 1.2 have that or do I need to manually adjust them myself?
hope someone can help! Cheers

I'd go 6k personally and get some osram 6k sidlight bulbs. that's what i run and find it perfect tbh. you won't have auto levelling no.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I'd go 6k personally and get some osram 6k sidlight bulbs. that's what i run and find it perfect tbh. you won't have auto levelling no.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Osram...709546?hash=item51d9d1162a:g:ydIAAOSwuWVWE9qW

these suit 6k perfectly. and as ive said i use these. cannot fault them. they are cheaper than what i paid 12 months ago.

Can you link to some 6000k dipped beam mate? Is there a make I should go for. They are h7 I think aren't they?
All that's coming up for me is hid kits? Is that what I need, I thought I just need the bulb?

Why won't it have auto leveling?
because its a non sport? not having the sensor etc on the rear beam. unless im mistaken?

I maybe wrong but I've read that there's a sensor on the rear beam on the sports for the xenons. Just assumed there wouldn't be one for the non sport.

Oh and in terms of changing them, they are a nightmare with big hands. I have small hands and change in 2 mins flat. Other have to resort to taking the bumper off.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Ohh is h7 main beam? So confusing! I have no clue about this xenon business but I love it. Thanks mate will take a look into them!

No idea about full beam, never changed them. Possibly h7 or h1. But xenon main beam are definitely D2S. But stick to 6k. I'm not sure of the police of your area but 8k will attract attention of traffic cops. Just not worth it. They are very blue leading into purple. Light output is irrelevant though as clio xenons are w**k.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and in terms of changing them, they are a nightmare with big hands. I have small hands and change in 2 mins flat. Other have to resort to taking the bumper off.

I think I should be alright then, I have small hands too hahah. So hid kits are for like a non sport? I think I understand now! Do people genuinely upgrade the main beam too or just leave it yellow? I often read that people say don't upgrade the main beam to like say a 6000k as you'll blind people. But surely you aren't going to have your main beam on when cars are coming towards you? If I were to upgrade main beam what bulbs should I look for, is it h7? can you link me to some decent ones?

Thanks for your help bud n

I haven't touched my full beams. As you say they arn't used that often and hardly need changing. Not sure of type as i've not changed on my 182. If I was you, i'd keep that as it is.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member

Already been looking at that mate, hence why I mentioned 8000k, but just wanted people's opinions on here.
Cheers though, what do you think?
No idea about full beam, never changed them. Possibly h7 or h1. But xenon main beam are definitely D2S. But stick to 6k. I'm not sure of the police of your area but 8k will attract attention of traffic cops. Just not worth it. They are very blue leading into purple. Light output is irrelevant though as clio xenons are w**k.

Well because of most places being back roads here in Norfolk most of the time the full beam is on so it drowns out the coolness of having xenons! So thought about upgrading all to similar colour. There's lots of people around with 8k, Astra vxr's etc. not sure police are bothered. I just think there's a massive difference between 6000k and 8000k, I really like 8000k though:/ I like the colour of my sidelights, that's probably similar to 8000k I guess.

Hmm decisions.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't touched my full beams. As you say they arn't used that often and hardly need changing. Not sure of type as i've not changed on my 182. If I was you, i'd keep that as it is.
Well where I live they get used a lot mate so most of the time it just looks like the normal standard yellow like the non sport lights:/ so defeats the object of having xenons. Hence why I'm thinking of upgrading.

Up to you completely what you go for of course. Traffic round here if rife so I tend to stay within the law as far as possible. Not saying they'd defo pull you but imo it's hassle i could do without

I would say so. 8k can appear purple. Each officer IME has their own definition of the law. I did some special constable duties a couple yrs ago and it's amazing how much s**t each officer talks. Best advice is to nt stand out @Sunglasses_Ron can probably steer you right

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
I would say so. 8k can appear purple. Each officer IME has their own definition of the law. I did some special constable duties a couple yrs ago and it's amazing how much s**t each officer talks. Best advice is to nt stand out @Sunglasses_Ron can probably steer you right

Fair enough! I think I'll go with 6000k then. What sort of price should I be looking to pay?

Also how do I go about getting full beam to 6000k? I know you say don't bother, but full beam is used a lot so would be no point in having xenons if it just looks yellow anyway. The hid kits full beam h7 are no good apparently as they'll heat up very quickly. Because of the on and off thing. Philips bluevision ultra or orsam blue intense my best bet or do you have any other idea?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Is £10 cheap for d2s bulbs 6000k? Can't really afford the Philips ones
Thats cheap, they probably wont be that noticeably different from Philips ones. Make sure you dont touch the bulb as apparently grease off you fingers may cause them to crack when they are hot.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Thats cheap, they probably wont be that noticeably different from Philips ones. Make sure you dont touch the bulb as apparently grease off you fingers may cause them to crack when they are hot.
Yeah I can't imagine they'd be much different. Just durability I guess. At the minute I can't afford their bulbs. But when I can I'm sure I'll get some. Go for these ones on eBay then? Will do! Cheers mate, do you know if it's a simple unplug plug new one in?

Yeah I can't imagine they'd be much different. Just durability I guess. At the minute I can't afford their bulbs. But when I can I'm sure I'll get some. Go for these ones on eBay then? Will do! Cheers mate, do you know if it's a simple unplug plug new one in?

Yes. Unplug the ignitor on the bulb. Unclip the prongs. Remove old put new in. Reattach ignitor.