ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet another curveball...

2003 Clio 172
In the six months or so I've owned my 172 I've always thought the engine sounded a little 'tappety', but put it down to the fact that the F4R isn't exactly the smoothest or quietest of units at the best of times. Had the car in the garage yesterday for some other work and mentioned to the mechanic (who really knows his stuff) about the noise. When I picked the car up he confirmed that there was a noise there, although only slight. He thinks possibly one of the hydraulic lifters is a little noisy. Belts and dephaser were done recently (effectively twice as the first garage made a pigs ear of it). The head was rebuilt by Renatec in Bristol in 2014 prior to me owning the car after the cam belt jumped a tooth and bent some valves, so he thinks the noise may well be a legacy of that. Let's just say that Renatec aren't exactly the best garage out there, and I have first hand experience of their cackhandedness, so I wouldn't be surprised if they bodged something whilst doing the repair work to the head. Car runs fine otherwise with no loss of power, but I'm p**sed off about yet another's issue after spending so much money on the car in the short space of time I've owned it. Add to this the fact that my gearbox has a slight wine and a stiff downshift (although fresh Elf gearbox oil has significantly improved this) and I think I need to start planning for a replacement engine and box, although I'll continue to drive it until it really needs doing or goes bang. Ah, the joys of RS ownership ??

PH2 172
In the six months or so I've owned my 172 I've always thought the engine sounded a little 'tappety', but put it down to the fact that the F4R isn't exactly the smoothest or quietest of units at the best of times. Had the car in the garage yesterday for some other work and mentioned to the mechanic (who really knows his stuff) about the noise. When I picked the car up he confirmed that there was a noise there, although only slight. He thinks possibly one of the hydraulic lifters is a little noisy. Belts and dephaser were done recently (effectively twice as the first garage made a pigs ear of it). The head was rebuilt by Renatec in Bristol in 2014 prior to me owning the car after the cam belt jumped a tooth and bent some valves, so he thinks the noise may well be a legacy of that. Let's just say that Renatec aren't exactly the best garage out there, and I have first hand experience of their cackhandedness, so I wouldn't be surprised if they bodged something whilst doing the repair work to the head. Car runs fine otherwise with no loss of power, but I'm p**sed off about yet another's issue after spending so much money on the car in the short space of time I've owned it. Add to this the fact that my gearbox has a slight wine and a stiff downshift (although fresh Elf gearbox oil has significantly improved this) and I think I need to start planning for a replacement engine and box, although I'll continue to drive it until it really needs doing or goes bang. Ah, the joys of RS ownership ??

Carbon canister under the RH headlight ticking?
Disconnect and cap the vacuum take off and see if it stops the noise.

2003 Clio 172
A sticky/noisy lifter wouldn’t bother me.

Free solid lifter sound upgrade IMO lol.

Tbh if it is the lifter I don't think it's got any worse in the time I've had it and it doesn't seem to affect performance at all. Can't hear it at all when driving, so I'll live with it for now.