ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Your most beneficial track modification

330i
Afternoon all,
Going off on a bit of a tangent from the usual "what modifications should i do to improve my Clio's handling" question and to have the response "Do a search"! What would you suggest the most beneficial modifications you have undertaken to your own track/fact road car and also what have you regretted doing/considered being a waste of money?

Should imagine that tuition would be a good thing for pretty much any driver?
It would yeah, but much more beneficial to a novice as it would teach them the lines and braking zones of the track and also importantly for me track etiquette. You wouldn't believe the amount of tools on track days who drive like complete idiots, they're mostly in high end cars TBH who don't like to be overtaken by an old Clio.

172 Turbo
Tuition > Tyres > Brakes > Suspension.

Although adding a diff will be well up there with the best, once it's fitted.
Exactly mine on my Cup, Tuition > Tyres > Brakes > Diff/Suspension

Did diff & suspension at the same time so can't compare without either.

My turbo shows me how shocking some of these cars must be, oh we're going really fast, but we can't stop!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly mine on my Cup, Tuition > Tyres > Brakes > Diff/Suspension

Did diff & suspension at the same time so can't compare without either.

My turbo shows me how shocking some of these cars must be, oh we're going really fast, but we can't stop!

I'd wager on the diff being a good few seconds saved.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
tuition/seat time> brakes> suspension>tyres

Seat time with instruction is the most beneficial for me, having good brakes you're confident in helps you push on , and decent pads (I run the ds1.11) which have nice release characteristics suits my driving style

suspension is worth while , but must be set up and aligned properly or wasting your time/money

Tyres, 4 x matching decent tyres , then can get in the semi slick type tyres rsr, ns2r, r888 etc. To start on these covers a lot of driver flaws imo , and also if on old/tired/standard suspension will rock like a boat.

330i
So getting to the heart of it all. Time at the wheel and tuition are paramount, however beyond that were looking at decent brakes (Carbone Loraine?) Decent tyres and then suspension modifications. Clearly a lot of peoples response is to "stick a set of coilovers on it" however this seems to me a little pointless if the car isn't set-up properly. Would people say that its more beneficial to hone the geometry prior to coilover fittment (I appreciate the geometry will change when coilovers are added) or just to stick a set of coilovers on a car and work on the geometry afterwards?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Tuition > Tyres > Brakes > Suspension.

Although adding a diff will be well up there with the best, once it's fitted.

This.

I found my way somewhat around the track with tuition
>
Found my road tyres weren't good enough so got semi slicks
>
Found my brakes weren't good enough so got better ones
>
I think I now don't go quick enough so I'll get some more tuition.

All the suspension, cages, strut braces and power will do sweet fa if you can't drive.

Take a few people out with you and go out with other people to give you tips and tricks too.

And learn to heel and toe. And maybe left foot brake.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
So getting to the heart of it all. Time at the wheel and tuition are paramount, however beyond that were looking at decent brakes (Carbone Loraine?) Decent tyres and then suspension modifications. Clearly a lot of peoples response is to "stick a set of coilovers on it" however this seems to me a little pointless if the car isn't set-up properly. Would people say that its more beneficial to hone the geometry prior to coilover fittment (I appreciate the geometry will change when coilovers are added) or just to stick a set of coilovers on a car and work on the geometry afterwards?

I'd only spend the money on coilovers if the standard suspension isn't good enough for you.

If you're getting the most out of the suspension, then change it for coilovers and get it set up like you say.

330i
Thanks, decent coilovers are a decent quantity of money and in all reality the full benefit wont be apparent without supporting mods.

I probably should have been a little clearer in my initial question. I was angling more at specific modifications such as converting front wishbones to run bearings, converting the rear axle to run bearings, front roll centre correction etc. Personally i don't think there's much point chasing power until the chassis is fully developed and the car is being driven to its full potential. I have run a Quaife diff before in my old XE nova, i'm very aware of the advantages, however reading into it the initial outlay is substantial for a budget track car.

I've had several fast road cars over the years and am familliar with the pitfalls etc with modifying. What i wanted from your answers was to formulate a succinct approach towards modifying that wont have me spending money good after bad.

330i
Upgrading/modifying the whole chassis and suspension would be fairly costly I'd imagine.
But the thing is with the chassis upgrades, each element is a smaller chunk of money. Yes ultimately you will spend more money but the development and progression of the car will continue on a more linear path

If you're a novice with no or little track experience then just get a set of cheap 15s with semi slicks (used ebay tyres are peanuts) , make sure the brakes, suspension and chassis are relatively fresh and get some uprated front pads (CL, Ferodo, Mintex) and you're good to go. Learn the car and tracks then adds mods to what you think it needs, coilovers, diff, poly bushes etc.

330i
If you're a novice with no or little track experience then just get a set of cheap 15s with semi slicks (used ebay tyres are peanuts) , make sure the brakes, suspension and chassis are relatively fresh and get some uprated front pads (CL, Ferodo, Mintex) and you're good to go. Learn the car and tracks then adds mods to what you think it needs, coilovers, diff, poly bushes etc.
And if you're not?

330i
No one has actually given me specifics in terms of modifications, just general areas in what they think should be done.

330i
I probably should have been a little clearer in my initial question. I was angling more at specific modifications such as converting front wishbones to run bearings, converting the rear axle to run bearings, front roll centre correction etc. Personally i don't think there's much point chasing power until the chassis is fully developed and the car is being driven to its full potential. I have run a Quaife diff before in my old XE nova, i'm very aware of the advantages, however reading into it the initial outlay is substantial for a budget track car.

I've had several fast road cars over the years and am familliar with the pitfalls etc with modifying. What i wanted from your answers was to formulate a succinct approach towards modifying that wont have me spending money good after bad.

330i
It wouldn't be cheap if you were to pay someone to do the work he's done, but in terms of chassis strengthening it is the way to go.
I'm fairly handy in the workshop, so far his thread looks great. Good attention to detail. Ultimately i'd like not to go the whole hog as my E30 project should take priority however these things do snowball!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
If it's just a budget toy as it's just something to do while you build something else, just go out and have a laugh with it as it is.

I had as much fun thrashing a stripped out but standard focus 170 round oulton with standard pads and crap tyres as I did in the clio with decent tyres and proper brakes.

It was nowhere near as fast but the fun was still there.

Don't need to be doing this, that and the other and blowing money.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Solid rear axle bushes, made a huge difference compared to the old original standard ones (changed to powerflex black series)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
My subwoofer and choonz system.
No seriously the best 'mod' you can do is tyres. the best money spent would be tuition I reckon. Or is for me cos I'm not Nigel Mansell.

WRX
Tuition and seat time. You can drive around anything else. If you're sensible and realise the car's limitations, nothing else needs doing.