ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 inlet manifold PTFE gasket

M

mini-valver

I can get one sent out to you mate, not a problem! Give me a sout with a rough cost!

Golf V6 4Motion
Sorting mini-valver out no problems - custom K4M on the way!

Just waiting on results back from AmDaMan and Mase I will be in touch following these.

Thanks All

Golf V6 4Motion
Just for all your info we are currently developing these gaskets for the Clio V6 Owners - just as an idea as to quality and the amount of effort put in check the below photos taken today...

Clio_V6_Trial_Collection_Small.gif

Clio_V6_PTFE_Plenum_Small.gif

Clio_V6_PTFE_Manifold_3mm_Small.gif

Hopefully we can get the 172 ones off the ground sometime very soon!

Megane 225+
Nice - yum yum

Come on testers lets have your results/feedback

Be nice to get a set on for the summer (just incase we have one)

I'm just waiting for a nice day so I can check the inlet air temps WITHOUT the gaskets on 1st.

I will log temps over a set drive (inlet air temp) aftwer that I will do the same drive with the gaskets and post the logs up.

It was supposed to be a nice day today but it's raining :(

Hi, I volunteered for a trial of some of these gaskets to see if there were any temperature gains to be had. I got round to fitting them today and it wasn't that easy due to the inlet being difficult to get off etc. Got there in the end though.

Havn't had time to see if there were any gains though as I didn't finish till late. I did a before log using some software, I also couln't resist seeing if idle temps had improved before I packed up. Before the gaskets were fitted I left the car idling for about 10mins and inlet air temp was around 63c. About 10pm when the outside air temp was about 17c I left the car idling for 25mins and it only just touched 50c! I'll do a full report tomorrow though.

rstl3.jpg

rs1mu3.jpg

rs3on7.jpg

rs12vg9.jpg

I got stuck behind a lot of weekend drivers so I could only open it up a few times.. the trip was 12mins though with an idle of 10mins (the car was already warm prior)

Some pics of the progress..

img4112wz1.jpg

This is a normal plug well

img4113di2.jpg

This was cylinder 3's plug well :eek:

img4114yk9.jpg

Not sure how it filled up like that, could explain some misfires. Also I foolishly took the plug out before draining that, when I started the car it stank. Hope i've not done any damage.

img4115nz1.jpg

Does that gap look excessive to anyone else?

img4117qf7.jpg

Plenum gasket

img4123mm3.jpg

Are these ports normal or have they been messed with?

img4124fw8.jpg

Another pic

img4125yx1.jpg

Had to get the grinder out on the inlet as it wouldn't fit when the gasket was fitted.

img4130dc0.jpg

After

img4131uc4.jpg

Plenum gasket (used a plenum and inlet gasket btw)

img4132uy2.jpg

PTFE washers - BEN P Recommendation

img4140tw5.jpg

Done.

I'll let you know the results tomorrow :)

Looking good :)

Plug 3 gap does look slightly large

Should have caught the oil rather than let it flow into the cylinder :S I'm sure itl be fine though regardless

Did you really need the angle grinder LOL thats like me getting the dewalt out to drill my teeth! I used a file

Oh and the ports are normal!

Be interesting to see some data etc.. but when I did mine the plenum physically felt cooler but cant confirm actual temps.

Yeah might have to change the plugs at some point then!

Lol, yeah i should have caught it, didn't think though. When I started the car up loads of burn oil came spewing out!

I don't have time for files!! ;)

I'll get some data tomorrow. Like I mentioned above I let it idle for a good 25mins and the temps only touched 50c where as with the old gaskets on it was hitting 64c after 10mins, we will have to see though. Oh the logs will be in RSTuner format so if anyone has an RSTuner and wants to see the full logs let me know.

Cheers.

Nice.
Oh the logs will be in RSTuner format so if anyone has an RSTuner and wants to see the full logs let me know.
RSTuner 1.6.7 has CSV output so you should be able to view them in Excel as well.

Just got back from a test with the gaskets on, and to say the outside air temp was a whole 5c higher outside with direct sunlight than yesterday the results were good. The temps were in a much narrower band.

The cardbroad ranged from 60c on idle to mid 30s when booting it. The PTFE was 50c to mid 30s even with the warmer weather. I was also giving it far more stick and say in slow traffic or at traffic lights it was rising MUCH slower than with the coardboard gaskets, I was quite surprised.

Here are some pics;

rsfh8.jpg

rs1pb7.jpg

rs2gc0.jpg

rs3ar5.jpg

rs4sc6.jpg

I could only find version 1.6.6 on the site? So i've had to do a few screenshots again, I have the full logs if you wish.

Thanks.

Recaro'd 182
looks very good, it deffinatly shows a significant drop compared to the 64 deg before fitting and 45-50 deg after. the ptfe gasket seems to have worked, result!

Golf V6 4Motion
Excellent News - superb infact.

Thanks so much for doing these tests mate.
Very happy to see that the washers can be used without any messing as well.

I'm chuffed to say the least!!

Right - I'll have a word with my man at the lazer company however I would hazard a guess at £40-45 for a set including the washers.

Thats based on roughly £20 per gasket, plus postage and washers.

Would this seem an acceptable amount to most people?

Bearing in mind GDI charge £150 + VAT + POSTAGE for Clio V6 gasket set I don't think it is too bad!!

No problem mate, I think you should set up a group buy and see what happens. The results speak for them selves really.

I'm happy to advise anyone on fitting.

Clio 172 cup
This looks brilliant and at that price a bargain.

Bung a fitting guide in with them and you will sell a set to every person on here almost!

Good work fellas!

Golf V6 4Motion
Sorry only just noticed that you mentioned an angle grinder!!!

Do you think that is really needed? How much did you shave off? Dan172 trialled the sizes on both gaskets and fitted an actual PTFE manifold gasket without modification which is where we want to be with the product - i.e. people don't have to alter anything, just do a swap.

Fair enough if it is literally a case of tolerances and having to file down 1mm then ok but can you confirm for everyone that is all which is needed?

Hi, yeah i'd be happy to sort a guide out for this..

The inlet is difficult to remove and even harder to put back on due to how tight it all is... A rubber mallet was used to tap the inlet off.

The PTFE gasket is slightly thicker so it's even harder but it can be done with patience.

The problem is, I don't have much of that so I used the grinder to take away some of that notch as shown in the pics. This took 2 minutes and could also be done with a file.

If i'm being honest i'd have done the same if replacing the standard gasket as it's not worth the struggle. Once I took away some of the metal it was a much more pleasant job and it even leaves the option of a thicker gasket in the future which would further improve gains i'm sure.

Yeah but you can only go so thick before the plenum will not mate correctly with the oil breather, not so much a problem on the 182s. But still I think 3mm is plenty.

Megane 225+
Out of interest, just so I get the full picture

How does the plenum mate with the oil breather - is there some form of seal on/in the plenum
Where does the oil go - back into the plenum?
How is it different on the 182?

Cheers

Golf V6 4Motion
Sure Amit will update you on the above as I don't know.

Gaskets we are using so you can use std setup in all other areas (i.e.breathers) are 1mm manifold to plenum and 1.5mm manifold to head... trust me this is the thickest you can go without complications ad verified by Amit, Dan and Fred!

BIG THANKS to Amit - he is going to do a write up which I can then print out and send with every set.

Set will therefore consist of the following:

1mm PTFE Lazer Cut Manifold to Plenum Gasket
1.5mm PTFE Lazer Cut Manifold to Head Gasket
PTFE Lazer Cut Washers
A write up showing how to fit the above.

Not a bad little set that!

Will have a think about prices - see what we can get it down to and once Amit has submitted the write up I can go ahead knocking them out for you all!
AT LAST!! PHEW

BTW - If any 182 users want thicker gaskets due to their setup then they are welcome to contact me via PM and we can arrange a trial of thicknesses. Alternatively you can make a good guess and we will cut. Obviously thicker material means longer lazer time and more expensive material but nothing too different tbh.

Golf V6 4Motion
Right people....

172 Gaskets x2
M6 Washers x2
Fitting Guide x1
Postage + Packaging x1

£40 square. This is including any margin for paypal fees, etc. as well.

182 users - not certain on pricing but if you wanted the above but with a 3mm mani gasket would estimate £46 grand total - give or take a couple of quid.

Does this seem like a good price to people?

(In context a 5mm GTIR gasket is £36 from us. 3mm is £26. Hondata gasket is £80. GDI Clio V6 gasket set - £150+VAT).

I am not a member so can't post in For Sale section so Mods am I ok to leave in here? I'm not tight I am just signed up to that many forums and I dont even own a clio now!!

Last edited:
Thats a good price to be honest. I wouldnt advise going more than 2mm otherwise things start getting in the way.

Well... Maybe 3 but absolute maximum

Golf V6 4Motion
It has been extensively tested that the above is the best fit overall...

Do I just say PM me if you want a set of do I need to list in another part of the forum?

Maybe a new thread with photo of the set?

Golf V6 4Motion
Just signed up as a member to make this easier! Thats now 10000001 forums I am registered too! lol

Keep an eye in the For Sale section for these gasket sets - will be posted up shortly along with photos, payment deals, group buy listing, etc.

Would just like to take the opportunity to say a BIG thank you to everyone who was helped with the development of these gaskets, any valuable input posted and so on. In the spirit of the forums it makes the product better, valued and agreeable by all, etc.

Anyone 182 users interested please drop me a PM so we can discuss your needs too.

Many Thanks

Golf V6 4Motion
Difficult to say as in theory eventually everything will reach the temp of the engine bay...

Temps should in normal driving circumstances should overall be lower and take A LOT longer to get there - i.e. on your morning drive to work which takes say on average 25mins temps would never have reached the temp they did before.

Have a look at the graphs - I think the results speak for themselves and other than a CAF you wont get a better heat intake reduction for your money - combine these together you are on to a winner.

(Personally I'd take the manifold off, open up the manifold ports and match to the plenum - as per Angelworks mods unless you already have an RS inlet... then refit with these gaskets + CAF if possible... give everything a clean whilst your at it - jobs a fish!)

Yeah I never even saw the temperatures get close to that of the paper gaskets, even when it was idling in warmer weather.

It shouldn't get there either due to normal driving keeping the ambient engine bay temps reasonable.

As Hill says, a CAF would be so beneficial with this mod!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Difficult to say as in theory eventually everything will reach the temp of the engine bay...

Temps should in normal driving circumstances should overall be lower and take A LOT longer to get there - i.e. on your morning drive to work which takes say on average 25mins temps would never have reached the temp they did before.

Have a look at the graphs - I think the results speak for themselves and other than a CAF you wont get a better heat intake reduction for your money - combine these together you are on to a winner.

(Personally I'd take the manifold off, open up the manifold ports and match to the plenum - as per Angelworks mods unless you already have an RS inlet... then refit with these gaskets + CAF if possible... give everything a clean whilst your at it - jobs a fish!)

Thanks for the answer.

In a trackday application then, does the engine bay reach that ultimate temperature throughout if going at pace for say 20 mins?

I'm just trying to think if for me as maybe I'd get the benefit all the time my tyres and brakes are cold (start of session), then when they're up to temp and they start working, so is the intake manifold so advantage lost?

ValverInBits
take a fire extinguisher to the track and use the CO2 to cool the manifolds in the pit after a warm up ;)
Great technique for RRs

Megane 225+
As I see it MarkCup,

Should heat up more slowly & then not reach the previous high temps when your moving - read outs show this.

I can only see it hitting previous temps if you are idling for an extended period -

but then reduce down again at a quiker rate when you get moving - the readouts show this too.

So the more your moving & heating up your brakes & tyres your plenum should be staying cooler than previous.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ahhhh, but my plenum airspace is blocked by a CAF running across the front alongside the fuel rail...would that give me higher plenum temps as I'd not get full cooling airflow around it?