ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1998 1.2 8v Clio - Snapped cambelt - What parts?!

Hi all,

The cambelt recently snapped on my 1.2 8v 1998 clio. I've stripped the car down and got the cylinder head off, no problems here.

So now I've got to replace the bent valves, replace the HG and other disposable gaskets, new water pump and timing belt kit.

Do I require special tools to time the car up? Also where is the best place to order the parts online? I need the above (head gasket kit, new valves, timing belt kit and waterpump).

I've seen a lot of cheap bits on ebay but thought I'd ask you experts before ordering anything. Also what engine code / model is my engine so it makes it easier when finding the gaskets etc

thanks!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
No special tools required for the D7F-730 timing as there are nice and clear timing marks though its been a while since i've touched one myself. From memory the D7F cam pulley has two marks on it on two teeth next to each other; one's a semi circle and the other is a notch... from memory the timing mark is not the semi-circle but the verticle notch.

Mick

Clio
Get a head gasket kit. Should come with a rocker cover and head gasket, oval intake rubbers, metal exhaust gasket, cam seal and valve stem oil seals which look like mushrooms. a complete kit would cost lots from Renault but about £46 from the likes of Eurocar parts. I got one from a local motor factors for £36+vat so not too bad. Same story with the valves, from memory they vary around the £7 mark depending on if they are inlet or exhaust from Euro or GSF. Again my local factors got them cheaper. Water pumps should come with their own new gasket. To find out your engine code you can ask renault what the engine code is using the 4th to 7th leters and numbers from your vin plate probable reading along the lines of XXXCBOAXXX..... or use the vehicle / numberplate recognition feature on the Eurocarparts website and work it out from what details it throws up. My guess is it will be a D7F engine code for that year. Hope this helps a little. And Mick is right it's the notcu you use for timing on the cam pully and the crank pully. Cam should lined up to the top against the mark on the engine mount bracket and the crank notch to the bottom timing mark on the block. C

Last edited:
Thanks clioCC, the above link seems to contain everything so I'll purchase that. I'll double check the engine code as well before ordering anything, wasn't sure how to find out before. Thanks :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If it's a DIET 1.2 8v it'll be, depending on vehicle, as '98 was a crossover year:

Clio I, Ph3 - D7F-730
Clio II, Ph1 - D7F-720, 726, 744 or 764

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Either or will do... it starts VF1XXXXXXXXXXXXX. You need the next four characters after the '1'