ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD @ CES

T

thecremeegg

bluray_vs_hd_dvd_war_2.jpg

:rasp::D

Fiesta ST
Thats off a website called blu-ray freak? who's to say the HD-DVD photo wasn't taken when the show only just opened?

Oil Burner
dont think we will find either win, it is quite likely they will become like the ps3 and xbox, i.e if you want certain types of films you go for blue ray, if you want others its HD. (i.e sony endorsed would be on b/r)

HD dvd despite being on paper not as good is still preffered by alot of people.

Blue ray does have the major advantage of panasonic, samsung and sony backing though. But i wouldnt mind betting that for pure number of sales toshiba is way ahead of the game.

however theres alot of guess work going on at the moment, for the time being both seem to havetheir places.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Since Warner moved (the biggest seller of DVD's in USA) thats pretty much killed HD-DVD.

Long live BR

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Its about time the better format won !

I just feel sorry for all the MS fans that bought the HD-DVD addons. But to be honest the 'add-on' drive was a stupid idea anyway it should have been in the console from day one like sony have done for the PS3.

Yaris Hybrid
Yup as I said before the quality is identical with both. The only difference is that one costs a lot more than the other.

Quite why people chose the most expensive I don't know. Sadly those muppets have now commited us all to buying the most expensive. Nice one.

Roll on the next recession as there is clearly too much money about.

SLK 350
Revels the whole picture is relating to BD technology, you can see that by looking at the big banner and all the listed BD partners showcasing BD stuff.

Cupwhite, people will always want optical media, sure downloadable content may increase in popularity amongst the tech savvy, but it's never going to take over. The day it does is the day everybodies contended boradband services fall on their arse and servers begin crashing.

172 cup
Revels the whole picture is relating to BD technology, you can see that by looking at the big banner and all the listed BD partners showcasing BD stuff.

Cupwhite, people will always want optical media, sure downloadable content may increase in popularity amongst the tech savvy, but it's never going to take over. The day it does is the day everybodies contended boradband services fall on their arse and servers begin crashing.

Will they? good for them, that however doesn't concern me as I don't.

Yaris Hybrid
I am not sure about that.

People said that Audio CD's would never die. Ok they don't look like dying but it doesn't exactly seem far fetched anymore to suggest that the time will come when all music is delivered as a digital file - whether that be online or in a shop.

How long before you can take your 120TB Ipod video type device into a shop, stick it in a docking station and upload a HD movie to your collection?

The majority of people don't "collect" films as really the digital download rental market is ideal for them. At the moment you might as well buy an £8 DVD than rent one out for £3 and having the hassle of driving to blockbuster etc.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yup as I said before the quality is identical with both. The only difference is that one costs a lot more than the other.

Quite why people chose the most expensive I don't know. Sadly those muppets have now commited us all to buying the most expensive. Nice one.

Spot on mate...

Some people are really thick!!!!

dk

911 GTS Cab

I just feel sorry for all the MS fans that bought the HD-DVD addons. But to be honest the 'add-on' drive was a stupid idea anyway it should have been in the console from day one like sony have done for the PS3.
exactly, its about time the better format won, sony always come up with the best but it never seems to win (like betamax and minidisc etc.)

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

exactly, its about time the better format won, sony always come up with the best but it never seems to win (like betamax and minidisc etc.)

And the most expensive!!!

SLK 350

Spot on mate...

Some people are really thick!!!!

It's simple...

Guess what happens when the format war ends and things start to get mass produced? Things get cheaper!

Besides last time I looked media on both formats was identical in cost, and I'd hardly call these two massively expensive!

http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.php?ID=3307
http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-BDPS300-BLK

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
To some of the HD-DVD lovers.. Please learn something about the technology before making a judgement.

Blu-ray uses a lens with a greater numerical aperture than HD-DVD and as such can fit more data on the same size disc. Blu-ray can hold 25GB per layer (50GB on a dual-layer disc)

HD-DVD can only hold 15GB per layer (30GB on a dual-layer disc)

Blu-ray also has a higher data transfer rate (54Mbps vs 36.55Mbps) and HD DVD is just enough to fit a high-def movie.. what about the 3 hour ones or extra content... gonna swap disks half way through the movie ? Bluray also uses a lower data compression rate for audio and therefor has superior sound quality.

172 cup
Please learn something about the technology before making a judgement.

Blu-ray uses a lens with a greater numerical aperture than HD-DVD and as such can fit more data on the same size disc. Blu-ray can hold 25GB per layer (50GB on a dual-layer disc)

Blu-ray also has a higher data transfer rate (54Mbps vs 36.55Mbps) and HD DVD is just enough to fit a high-def movie.. what about the 3 hour ones or extra content... gonna swap disks half way through the movie ? Bluray also uses a lower data compression rate for audio and therefor has superior sound quality.

You really are sad, get a life man, i bet you rip one out to What HiFi magazine.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure the PlayUSA site used to say there was a difference.

BluRay was 6x the the quality of DVD and HD-DVD was 4x..

T

thecremeegg

Blu-ray isnt more expensive tbh, buy a ps3 and you get a games console and blu-ray drive in one - thats what made DVD take off

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
To some of the HD-DVD lovers.. Please learn something about the technology before making a judgement.

you can get triple layer 51gb hd-dvd disks and the average transfer rate of both well exceed the 19.3mbps transfer rate needed for hd broadcast so thats irrelevant

HD downloads the way forward, why go out to the shop and buy a DVD/HD DVD/Blu Ray disk when you will be able to stream/download it, once this country gets its arse in gear with its BB services

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
HD downloads the way forward, why go out to the shop and buy a DVD/HD DVD/Blu Ray disk when you will be able to stream/download it, once this country gets its arse in gear with its BB services

agreed

MY10 R35 GTR

You really are sad, get a life man, i bet you rip one out to What HiFi magazine.

jog on!!!!

Who is this "Cup White" ? I noted a comment at me the other day? I dont see why knowledge is sad? Maybe if you had some you would have bought a FF 182 :rasp:

dk

911 GTS Cab
Blu-ray isnt more expensive tbh, buy a ps3 and you get a games console and blu-ray drive in one - thats what made DVD take off
exactly, not sure why everyone keeps saying bluray is expensive, its like when everyone was saying the ps3 was expensive, if you look at it relatively it isn't.

With the PS3 you get the bluray player ( a good one at that which also has upgradable firmware!) and a top notch gaming system plus other things.

So hows that expensive for under £300.

And the discs are the same cost, Hd-dvd's don't cost any less to buy, both formats vary widely from about £12 - £30. I saw shrek 3 on HD-DVD for £35 the other day online, you call that cheap!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Oh another one!! piss off maggot

I just wondered who you thought you were thats all ?
hes a troll that likes to join in with these threads he knows nothing about and just slags off the people that do know what they are talking about and ends his posts with comments like BOOM!!!!.

You'll notice his posts more now, can't miss him, hes the one that posts like he doesn't know what hes talking about.