ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD @ CES

Yaris Hybrid
If Blu Ray has such a high transfer rate, then can someone explain why the loading times on the PS3 are so embarrassing?

T

thecremeegg

If Blu Ray has such a high transfer rate, then can someone explain why the loading times on the PS3 are so embarrassing?

Because theres more on the disks for a start, plus in the ported games, they're coded so badly that optimisation is non existant.
Games designed for the PS3 properly dont suffer this issue I have found

dk

911 GTS Cab
i've not noticed tbh, got any examples?

if i put a hd-dvd in my xbox and then start it up, it automatically loads the game first and i have to wait to be able to get into the dashboard, then once i am in i have to wait for live to slowly log in, and then i can go down and start the movie.

with my ps3, i put it in and seconds later i am watching it, so wheres the delay?

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3

if i put a hd-dvd in my xbox and then start it up, it automatically loads the game first and i have to wait to be able to get into the dashboard, then once i am in i have to wait for live to slowly log in, and then i can go down and start the movie.

with my ps3, i put it in and seconds later i am watching it, so wheres the delay?
here is an example http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/51938.html?id=51938

samsung have basically said hd-dvd will win the format war in the private market as the next dvd technology for backups etc due to toshiba and ms's dominance in the pc market

good job the hd-dvd players can be connected to your pc then lol

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
I would prefer it if sony dont win. The whole business surrounding blu-ray and hd-dvd is one of greed. I don't like the way Sony have tried to force their format on the market it just irritates me.

i'm not buying anything till its decided which is only pissing me off more as a movie collector who just wants to enjoy his HD tele.

clio 16v
I cant believe people are saying blue ray is too expensive. I bought a blue ray drive for my PC for £100 connected my tv to my pc via the HDMI output on my graphics card.

Job done.

Yaris Hybrid
It is all such b****cks. Give it 2 years and flash memory cards will exceed the capacity of the Blu Ray and HD DVD disks you can get at the moment just as they have already done with DVD's.

As I say you pay 50% more for something with negligable extra capacity. HD DVD can support a movie and extras. Some may ship on two discs just as they do with DVD's - does that kill anyone? Sony in particular probably put a load of sh*te on the disk just to make a fake claim that the capacity is required and I wonder how long it will be before a Blu Ray movie comes on two disks... Presumably at that point all the Blu Ray owners will chuck their players in the bin and start complaining that Sony cheated them?

It's all irrelevant anyway.. give it a couple of years and everyone will be downloading their content.

Either way, Blu Ray is going to win now with the new backing it's getting.

SLK 350
I just wondered who you thought you were thats all ?
hes a troll that likes to join in with these threads he knows nothing about and just slags off the people that do know what they are talking about and ends his posts with comments like BOOM!!!!.

You'll notice his posts more now, can't miss him, hes the one that posts like he doesn't know what hes talking about.

He's the smelly dribbling guy you avoid when using public transport, I'm sure of it.

Toypop et al perhaps you'd be kind enough to send a quick email to Toshiba/Sony just briefly explaining that you feel their technology is a waste of time, and not to bother as downloads will soon take over the world.

I'm sure they'd love to hear it, as it seems they're both wasting millions and millions of cash breaking the market. For the moment you'd think they hadn't actually thought it all through!

Honestly...take off the blinkers :)

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
To some of the HD-DVD lovers.. Please learn something about the technology before making a judgement.

Blu-ray uses a lens with a greater numerical aperture than HD-DVD and as such can fit more data on the same size disc. Blu-ray can hold 25GB per layer (50GB on a dual-layer disc)

HD-DVD can only hold 15GB per layer (30GB on a dual-layer disc)

Blu-ray also has a higher data transfer rate (54Mbps vs 36.55Mbps) and HD DVD is just enough to fit a high-def movie.. what about the 3 hour ones or extra content... gonna swap disks half way through the movie ? Bluray also uses a lower data compression rate for audio and therefor has superior sound quality.

you can get triple layer 51gb hd-dvd disks and the average transfer rate of both well exceed the 19.3mbps transfer rate needed for hd broadcast so thats irrelevant

and triple layer blu-ray aint far off either giving it the edge again..

172 cup
hes a troll that likes to join in with these threads he knows nothing about and just slags off the people that do know what they are talking about and ends his posts with comments like BOOM!!!!.

You'll notice his posts more now, can't miss him, hes the one that posts like he doesn't know what hes talking about.

He's the smelly dribbling guy you avoid when using public transport, I'm sure of it.

Toypop et al perhaps you'd be kind enough to send a quick email to Toshiba/Sony just briefly explaining that you feel their technology is a waste of time, and not to bother as downloads will soon take over the world.

I'm sure they'd love to hear it, as it seems they're both wasting millions and millions of cash breaking the market. For the moment you'd think they hadn't actually thought it all through!

I know what I'm talking about when it comes to technology I just don't like sucking forum dick like you lot do.

I say what I want, not what everyone wants to hear. I also don't use public transport, so no I'm not that guy.

DK, stop thinking about PS3's and start thinking about moving out of Mummys house. 40 year old virgin wannabe :rasp:

Oh yeah..............

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's all try and keep a decent thread on the forum eh?

No need for the attacks, from anyone..

C-VXR. Once owned a Clio

I know what I'm talking about when it comes to technology I just don't like sucking forum dick like you lot do.

I say what I want, not what everyone wants to hear. I also don't use public transport, so no I'm not that guy.

DK, stop thinking about PS3's and start thinking about moving out of Mummys house. 40 year old virgin wannabe :rasp:

Oh yeah..............

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol What a donut!

SLK 350
I think the biggest point people are missing is that BD is A LOT more secure of the two formats, anti-piracy is probably the biggest single plus point of moving people to new formats as they lose far too much money to ripping.

Yaris Hybrid
Tablet PC's, 3G phones, Minidisk, 3DO, CD-I, PS3 and Gizmondo it sure is unusual for technology companies to fall out of touch with consumer desires and to make mistakes or run down a dead end alley.

How many people make video calls on Cellphones? In a few years time how many will be watching HD movies via optical media?

I'm keeping my money in the bank for now!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

here is an example http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/51938.html?id=51938

PS3 beats 360 on cold boot time... and looses on a game designed for the 360... go figure ;)

172 cup
Tablet PC's, 3G phones, Minidisk, 3DO, CD-I, PS3 and Gizmondo it sure is unusual for technology companies to fall out of touch with consumer desires and to make mistakes or run down a dead end alley.

How many people make video calls on Cellphones? In a few years time how many will be watching HD movies via optical media?

I'm keeping my money in the bank for now!

Good point.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
p**n has chosen HD-DVD, therefore HD-DVD will win the war

Thats weird.

"Once you get past the sensationalist headlines, there's more to it. Big-time p**n studio Vivid has announced its first Blu-ray p**n movie, Even the Blu-ray disc Association has reacted quickly by saying there is no ban against adult movie content."

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/01/17/blu-ray-loves-p**n-after-all

It bugs me too. There is an option to stop it automatically starting the game but I cant find it.

Yaris Hybrid
Are you guys seriously saying that you can't find the option on Xbox 360 to make it load up straight to dashboard and as opposed to launching the disk?

Are you guys seriously saying that you can't find the option on Xbox 360 to make it load up straight to dashboard and as opposed to launching the disk?

Yes.

I had a quick look the other day but didnt spot it.

Its not something ive spent hours on.

Skoda Fabia vRS
p**n has chosen HD-DVD, therefore HD-DVD will win the war

Thats weird.

"Once you get past the sensationalist headlines, there's more to it. Big-time p**n studio Vivid has announced its first Blu-ray p**n movie, Even the Blu-ray disc Association has reacted quickly by saying there is no ban against adult movie content."

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/01/17/blu-ray-loves-p**n-after-all

there is only 1, maybe 2 blu ray titles, compared to loads of hd-dvd

Yaris Hybrid
Jesus and these are the people that are deciding/choosing the future medium on which movies will be distributed! Intelligent consumers lol.

Just like the plonkers that saddled us with VHS for 20 years!

T

thecremeegg

blurayhddvd.jpg