ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD @ CES

SLK 350
Blu-ray
1.jpg

HD-DVD
22616911.jpg

I dont care which wins, I dont have money invested in either.

But with it being so split with different studios not making one or the other (I know thats how it used to be, I dont know if its changed) I think there will be a lot of dual players.

I can see a BluRay add-on for the 360! lol..

SLK 350
Aye not something to lose sleep over, either way us consumers will eventually benefit from this format war.

Hopefully start and see more deals floating around for hardware and indeed the media themselves this year.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Not figured out multiquote yet, Dave?
that aimed at me? (maybe you could use the quote button so people know who you are talking about;))

i sometimes use it normally i just se another post i want to reply to immediately afterwards though.

*plus, need to get my post count up after i was robbed of about 1000 for leaving admin!;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
i've not noticed tbh, got any examples?

if i put a hd-dvd in my xbox and then start it up, it automatically loads the game first and i have to wait to be able to get into the dashboard, then once i am in i have to wait for live to slowly log in, and then i can go down and start the movie.

with my ps3, i put it in and seconds later i am watching it, so wheres the delay?

It bugs me too. There is an option to stop it automatically starting the game but I cant find it.
never thought about changing it tbh as i use it about equal for gaming and movies, might change it, its just that when i put a hd-dvd in i don't even know theres a game in the dvd drive, pain of having to separate drives really, would be better if the hd-dvd was integrated.

dk

911 GTS Cab
You are all getting too technical about this. Its simple, Maroon boxes look shite. Bright Blue is cool...
what annoys me is their tag line.

'The Look and Sound of Perfect'

It just doesn't sound right, surely it should be perfection?

The whole Mb, Gb, GB, MB really BUGS me.. especially when you see ISPs going on about 40Gb limits when they mean 40GB etc.

Annoying!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I was duplicating what was already posted and posting the correct terminology. I have nothing to apologise for...

;)

If Blu Ray has such a high transfer rate, then can someone explain why the loading times on the PS3 are so embarrassing?

if i put a hd-dvd in my xbox and then start it up, it automatically loads the game first and i have to wait to be able to get into the dashboard, then once i am in i have to wait for live to slowly log in, and then i can go down and start the movie.

with my ps3, i put it in and seconds later i am watching it, so wheres the delay?

You know you can set the 360 up to boot to the dash without loading anything? Then you can go straight to what you want to do first. Its in console set up. Boots in seconds including logging into live.

All this brand loyalty 'slagging off' going on on this thread is a bit sad, you'd think everyone on here owned shares. Just buy the product that suits you FFS. Some people buy a product and it becomes part of their persona it appears...

Last edited:
Lol, I'm not, I couldnt care less about either system! The only reason I have a 360 at the mo is because I prefer the games on it. Once this Bd / HD war is over I may buy a PS3 to play BD's, and by that point it'll have some decent exclusives - not to replace the 360 but so that I have best of both worlds. I never even bought the HD add on as I hate format wars and its always the consumer who loses, not the manufacturer as they'll go onto something else.

But at the moment, I dont need a PS3 in my life, its like owning 2 state of the art mobile phones!

Mk2 Golf GTI
If Blu Ray has such a high transfer rate, then can someone explain why the loading times on the PS3 are so embarrassing?

So you missed the option to launch straight to dashboard on power-up then?

;)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i've seen both run side by side and also a blu-ray seperate drive all on a £10k (yes 10k) HD 1080p projector. the consoles look identical, but the seperate was marginally worse than both the consoles..

dk

911 GTS Cab

So you missed the option to launch straight to dashboard on power-up then?

;)
lol, how many people are going to mention this, i haven't even looked to change the feature as i use it more for games, its just when i do use a movie as its a separate drive i always forget a game is in the tornado so go through all that.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
just got this from a mate at Sony.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 5:20 (GMT+99)
Toshiba says HD DVD format isn't dead yet

Filed under: DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD | by : luk |

Computerworld: Two days after losing an important ally in the high-definition format battle, Toshiba Corp. put on a defiant face at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) and declared that the HD DVD format is a long way from being dead."We remain firm in the belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of consumers," said Akio Ozaka, head of Toshiba America Consumer Products, at a news conference. He said Toshiba was surprised by Warner Bros. Entertainment's announcement on Friday last week that it will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year.

"We are especially surprised that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum that HD DVD has gained in the U.S. market and other regions," he said.

T

thecremeegg

just got this from a mate at Sony.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 5:20 (GMT+99)
Toshiba says HD DVD format isn't dead yet

Filed under: DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD | by : luk |

Computerworld: Two days after losing an important ally in the high-definition format battle, Toshiba Corp. put on a defiant face at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) and declared that the HD DVD format is a long way from being dead."We remain firm in the belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of consumers," said Akio Ozaka, head of Toshiba America Consumer Products, at a news conference. He said Toshiba was surprised by Warner Bros. Entertainment's announcement on Friday last week that it will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year.

"We are especially surprised that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum that HD DVD has gained in the U.S. market and other regions," he said.

Slightly deluded it would appear then....dreamers

Citroen DS3 DSport
With the major studios leaving HD-DVD I don't really see the need to get excited about the new larger capacity disc. Very little use if it has no media available to store.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
at that sort of price it becomes a lot more viable, if anything, should be good for blu-ray prices to go down.

Last edited:
  Focus ST-2
With the major studios leaving HD-DVD I don't really see the need to get excited about the new larger capacity disc. Very little use if it has no media available to store.

who was getting excited about it like, i was just stating a point that larger capacity has nothing to do with it now.

One studio has left, still two major players on there side.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I never said you were getting excited about it. It was a general comment.

I do agree with David though that if it forces BD prices downwards then that can only be good.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Heh, nice hook.. i aint biting..

Just out of curiosity do you have a 360 HD-DVD drive ? just wondering why you were in the HD-DVD camp.

Focus ST-2

Price cuts = desperation
Blu-ray quad layer = 100GB (49GB more than the best HD-DVD)

HD-DVD = ow3nd

Desperation or smart move.

Reducing the cost makes it more affordable for the general public

dual format is the best way to go.