ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam timing/valve interference

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Hi Guys,

Is it possible for the inlet and exhaust valves to come into contact with each other when fully open? I know this is an issue on Peugeot S16/GTi-6 motors.

Managed to balls up the cam timing and get the exhaust 180 degrees out. That will teach me to rush lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Turned it over by hand and didn't feel like there was any contact at all. That was a few weeks ago mind. Put it in the car last night and tried to fire it up. Feel like a right tool, done loads of belts before. Should have gone on my instincts when the cam tool was tight but was in a rush and was only meant to be for 500 or so miles to run the bottom end in then I was going to drop some cams in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan's cast offs.
s**t happens.

I had a 182 in with bent valves, swapped the head over for a good one and got the cams mixed up, didn't notice until I tried pulling the cam cover down, swapped cams over but penny didn't drop until I'd got it timed up that I'd bent valves on the new head...c'est la vie...

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Ouch! even worse when it's not your own car, atleast when the money is going on your own car you dont feel as bad.

My thinking is it should be fine as when number 1 is on it's compression stroke number 4 would be on exhaust but i have effectively swapped that over so the exhaust valves are open all the way up the compression stroke so it can only compress at the very last bit where the valves are closed. Or am i just being optimistic? that's all on the basis that the valves cant touch each other when on full lift though.

dan's cast offs.
Not something I'vehad to think about before but won't quite be as simple as that though I don't think. Have got a head somewhere with cams in might have a play with it after.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
For anyone that may come across this f**k up in the future, you can get the exhaust cam 180 degree out and get away without any damage. Re timed it all last night and it's running perfect.