ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172/197 forged turbo engine build

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Really hope it will be at fcs mate. It should go well there and I'm reasonably quick round Combe as its my nearest track to home so I normally do it 4 or 5 days a year.

Megane r26
Really hope it will be at fcs mate. It should go well there and I'm reasonably quick round Combe as its my nearest track to home so I normally do it 4 or 5 days a year.

Awesome chip, I missed it in action last year.

Also after chatting to you about various things on here it would be nice to put a name to the face haha

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Decided I'm going to take this with me while working away from home this week. So it should be completely run in by the time I get home for next weekend.

Must say im not looking forward to it in m25 traffic tbh with the paddle clutch and no icv. It's very easy to stall!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ha ha!

Done about 270 miles now, started to very occasionally rev it to around 5krpm just to vary the load but only for a couple of seconds every few mins of driving.

Still driving mint so far. Going to leave it parked at hotel till Thursday now other than i need to drive about 100 miles to go fetch some arrow conrods for a duratec engine which i will probably do monday night then walk rest of the week rather than cold start it just to sit it in London area traffic for a couple miles a day which won't do anything useful.

By the time I drive it home Thursday evening it will be fully run in and I can change the oil then map it for some boost and revs.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good work Chip, I'd like a ride out in this at Bedford if possible.

Yeah no problem, as its going to be its first shakedown I will probably just go out for a couple of laps at a time so it should mean lots of chances for you to grab me compared to if I was going out less times but for longer each time like I normally would.

RS172 Flamer
This car is awesome! It is really well thought out and I can't wait to hear about the diff on track. After driving my friends EP3 before and after he had a diff fitted I could tell a huge difference in power delivery.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks Jakey, based on others cars I have had in the past which I have fitted a quaiffe to I'm certainly expecting a big improvement coming out of bends and trying to lay the power down, although obviously with 250-300lbft of torque depending on where the boost is set its going to be possible to spin both wheels if its not driven properly the diff can help but its not a substitute for throttle control, especially in the wet.

172 Race Car
Most noticable place at Bedford is the hairpin onto the long back staright. Makes it night and day different

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah that one you really notice it all the way around it, and the other couple of places I found it a really big difference was on the way out of these 2 bends in particular.

bedford-diff-help_zps07a118a5.jpg

Even though it looks bad on that map the hairpin by the pits however I found little real difference.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im thinking I might take the turbo to bedford and Les take the RS2 car, and then for Llandow take my mk1 and her take the RS2 car, as she really likes driving the RS2 car and its not really fair of me to force her to take one of the others if she doesnt fancy it, but will see nearer the time, if she has a few goes in the turbo at bedford she might be more up for it at llandow, but TBH if its wet at llandow (it is wales) the RS2 car is probably easier for her to drive there anyway.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
glad to here it all went so well mate! do you already notice you have to put more fuel in?

when i swapped my 16v cams to willy cams in my f7r turbo the afr's where spot on instead of a bit on the rich side.
the williams cams have .5mm more lift on both cams but i don't know the difference in duration tbh

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
glad to here it all went so well mate! do you already notice you have to put more fuel in?

Im currently not running the advance on the cams though which is also going to effect it.
Also the point its at boost wise now of 6 psi to run in with was probably never spot on before on the old map as thats not a value it ever held on the old setup anyway so wasnt covered in detail by road mapping and it was never put on a dyno for a week and mapped to every single possible load cell, so I wouldnt want to draw conclusions at this stage as I dont have specific datalogged values from before, they were all just "in the right ballpark" which was all it made any sense them being, no point spending thousands on the rollers just to tweak some cells that are safe already and hardly ever visited, its not like I have made a million of these cars and hence 0.2mpg better is worth chasing even if it costs thousands.

when i swapped my 16v cams to willy cams in my f7r turbo the afr's where spot on instead of a bit on the rich side.
the williams cams have .5mm more lift on both cams but i don't know the difference in duration tbh

The duration is the same IIRC, I wouldnt expect swapping them to effect fuelling much on a turbo motor with such a small change in lift.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
well maybe the slighlty larger compressor made a difference too but it did change from 14.0 to 14.7 on cruise.
doesn't matter anymore though as you know i now have standalone fitted so will have to do it over again anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
well maybe the slighlty larger compressor made a difference too but it did change from 14.0 to 14.7 on cruise.
doesn't matter anymore though as you know i now have standalone fitted so will have to do it over again anyway.

Bigger compressor would make a difference yes.

As I map my own cars anyway none of this is a drama to me TBH I just take it for granted any change I make I will remap the car afterwards to make sure, so I just get the mrs to drive when we are going somewhere, and then map it as we go along.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
lol, i have been driving for 3-4 hours with a friend of mine not getting anywhere. however it's the first time i ever do this so it's trial and error anyway.
when i get back i'll hook my WB up on the Megasquirt and let it autotune the fuel map for a big range. would atleast get me started somewhat faster.

now i've tasted the possibilities i would never go back to stock management!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah it gets easier with practice, these days it only takes me about 15 mins or so realistically on aftermarket to get most of the fuelling into the right ballpark, but thats just a matter of practice, ive done hundreds now so you get quicker at second guessing it.

Also the trick is NOT to obsess about getting it exactly correct, you just want to aim for close on your first go through, then get better with each revisit, trying to sort cells out one at a time to be exactly correct wont work as the cells near by effect the interpolation, its very much an itterative process mapping a car, you are tending towards values not setting them absolutely.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
i know but just as you say i now have no idea what i'm looking at.

ofcourse it could be done with calculations for VE to get some starting point as obviously the fuel you have to put in is directly affected by the VE.
i'll just wait and see by the time i get back home. had some help from Scoff with the basemap and made a timing map which according to him is on the safe side, i'll just bite the bullit. upload the map and try it.

when i blow a HG i'll machine another set of pistons as obviously then flat tops didn't work well enough. all just a learning process :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i know but just as you say i now have no idea what i'm looking at.

ofcourse it could be done with calculations for VE to get some starting point as obviously the fuel you have to put in is directly affected by the VE.

Honestly not worth it, you wont have good enough data about the VE on which to base your equations unless you have access to very expensive industry engine modelling software, just doing it is the best way for anyone but a manufacturer.

i'll just wait and see by the time i get back home. had some help from Scoff with the basemap and made a timing map which according to him is on the safe side, i'll just bite the bullit. upload the map and try it.

Its just a case of getting stuck in, and keep it on the rich side till you have the timing sorted or EGT's will go too high.

when i blow a HG i'll machine another set of pistons as obviously then flat tops didn't work well enough. all just a learning process :)
F4R would be a better option, stnadard engine plus an MWM headgasket is good for 250bhp and 250lbft of torque and very reliable, and they almost never blow a HG

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
i was more targeting on det issues, at low rpm i think i hear det trough my cans but it shouldn't be possible. it only shows when coming on boost and even stays present with only 5* at 140kpa :S so i'll try the map i made with help of Scoff and just see what happens...

i know a f4r could be better but this is just a low cost learning process, already have a fully built f7r so i'm going to stick with that.

i'll sent you a pm with the timing map.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If knocking the timing right down doesnt get rid of the noise, then its not det you are hearing you just think it is.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
could be i'm just panicking. i'm not scared ruining the engine because of the cost or work, it's just i got slayed on dutch forums i shouldn't be trying these things myself and leave it to the professionels. but i'm convinced it's no rocket science, and even if it is they had to learn it too so i should be able to do it eventually.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I learnt to tune engines 20 years ago on carbs and dizzys so kind of knew before I started mapping anyway of course, but Ive NEVER had an engine that I map melt and I learned by trail and error myself, so I agree with you totally, its not a black art and its not rocket science, its just a skill that takes a while to acquire and so long as you think "Footballer" the whole time you are learning you shouldnt ever have a problem.
10 years ago I was far far slower to map a car than I am now, but I still didnt kill any engines doing so.

I had people 10 years ago telling me I should just pay to have my engines mapped and not do it myself too, if I had taken their advice I would have spent a fortune on mapping by now and wouldnt be making a moderate extra income from mapping other peoples cars as well, so I certainly would say you should ignore the people saying that :)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
that's the big reason i spend more time on UK's forums then Dutch. They don't have an open mind like you guys do.

i do think some crazy projects look like s**t because it's done bad and all but i do admire the creativeness of it! (4wd, rwd conversions etc.)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
that's the big reason i spend more time on UK's forums then Dutch. They don't have an open mind like you guys do.

i do think some crazy projects look like s**t because it's done bad and all but i do admire the creativeness of it! (4wd, rwd conversions etc.)

Sadly the laws in our country are getting more and more drawn into line with the EU (well sadly for me, its good overall though) so things like my mid engined RWD nova, I wouldnt be as easily allowed to build anymore, and eventually I suspect wont be allowed to build at all.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
well maybe i could give your heart a rest. since the implimentating of EU laws it has become a lot easier to do engine swaps etc. here. so maybe it isn't as bad as you think.
my 9 currently has a 2.0 f7r on paper, all i had to do was go to a RDW station (don't know how to explain it but thats where new plates etc. are given to imported cars etc.), the car had to be MOT friendly, stay within sound regulations and i had to have something to show what the specs of the engine where. (in theory)

in practise i had a good laugh with the guy, he looked under the bonnet, asked some question how i did it (more out of interest) and then said: i guess it goes like stink now?
put it on the weighing bridge and 53 euro's lighter and 15 minutes later i was gone.

had contact with a guy of the engineerings departement too regarding rwd swaps and he told me it wouldn't be a problem if the car subjects to the same regulations as mentioned before.

on a side note, this only applies to cars registered before 1997, 1997+ are subject to all sorts of tests costing well over 1000 euro's

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats much more inline with here, luckily my nova is a lot older than that, so this is still just about legal:

DSC_1826.jpg

But I would really struggle to get a 172 and do the same thing to it legally.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
i'm planning on doing it to my 5 when i get back, big inspiraion for me is the 5 Scoff had in the past. i'm sure you're familiar with the car?

pic%20006.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No mate Im not familiar with that one, I dont know scoff very well and havent had renaults long, im more familiar with the ford scene (ie chris todd's fiesta) and the vauxhall scene where the nearest equivalent is probably my own nova, lol

That looks lovely but it also looks like it would overheat on a trackday TBH!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
making a rear engined car offcourse comes with other challenges but i do like the finish of the welding, turrets etc.

i read alot on passionford too and there are some great prjects to follow! it really doesn't matter to me what mark it is, i'm just intrigued by the high standards of particular builds!
if i wasn't fed up with Renaults i'd probably own a E30 or something.

going pretty off-topic though :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol, yeah fair way off topic now, if you do get an E30, my advice is dont crash it at the ring, I didnt enjoy that, lol

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
it has airfeeds on both sides btw:

pic%20007.jpg

iirc he managed a 3,9s 0-60 time with a 220-230 c1j engine :D although on damp asphalt the car tried to kill him