ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio going for ITB's tomorrow

Clio Sport 172 ITB
My car is going in to k-tech racing monday to get ITB's installed and new cams.. now i have been told that the catcams 428's will be being installed into the car.

CatCams 5502428 (272/256°)

i have been looking and seen the catcams 422 that i can also get hold of

CatCams 5502422 (284/276°)

now my question is. what ones should i go for :S the 428's seem a little to tame and the 422's on the website say that there ideal for an ITB setup! any help i will be most greatful for!

Assuming the person calibrating the car is capable then the 422's can be on ITB's.

For 422's you will need to change valve springs. I recomend (as do Cat) the Cat 862 springs.

There is a fair bit more cost involved in this as unless you want to get clever you will need to remove the head to change valve springs.

The 428's will be fine and provide a great powerband without power drop off until well past 7200RPM they really suit an ITB'd road car.

If you want to go with 422's PM me I can probably sort you out cheaper than K-Tec.

Cheers
M

Clio Sport 172 ITB
valve springs wont be a problem (k-tec are doing all the work) will i look at a better powerband with the 422's keeping the VVT or the 428's keeping the VVT

ITB'd MK1
you dont "need" uprated rods, but i would while you're there, if you fitted pistons.

just go for the 428s, they make for a very quick car when paired to the ITB kit

Clio Sport 172 ITB
i dont mind the cost of things... i see alot of ppl running on the 428's just thought i would be a little diffrent :p

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
i am sure the person calibrating it is capable.

as Dan says the 422's kiss the crowns on the std pistons and also benefit from extended RPM due to the "wilder" profile.

Generally I would change the piston and rods as a set to increase the reliability with the higher revs, you of course also gain the benefits of raised compression at the same time.

also with the 422's you will require extra mapping over the 428 kit...

its all down to £ and what you want to achieve.

as your talking to Sean, see what he suggests...

Clio Sport 172 ITB
only one thing that bugs me is they dont have a RR at k-tec... as people say each engine needs a diff map as each runs diffrent...

Clio Sport 172 ITB
k tec have the RR they need planning permission to build a housing for the thing yet :) just got back from there. total charges are 4025 all in :) i have there renault twingo GT :D

Clio Sport 172 ITB
ill be looking at 220 maybe a little more. more torqe and such remember this is fully installed by k-tec so thats why its costing that little bit more :p

Clio Sport 172 ITB
i wont know cost breakdown till i get the final bill :) i added a few things when i went down there also :p

ValverInBits
It doesent seem cost effective to me. With that kind of cash your very close to a VAG 20v installation with a K04 turbo(270bhp). F4R turbo conversions are about that? (250-280ish iirc)

Still i'm sure it's going to be awesome. If we're honest, the 1*2 doesent need more than 210-220bhp. It'll be rapid. Best of luck, hope your pleased with it :)

it'll be a rapid little beasty will that but for that kind of money i would be supercharging mine

each to their own, be a nice sleeper!

Ph1
It doesent seem cost effective to me. With that kind of cash your very close to a VAG 20v installation with a K04 turbo(270bhp). F4R turbo conversions are about that? (250-280ish iirc)

Still i'm sure it's going to be awesome. If we're honest, the 1*2 doesent need more than 210-220bhp. It'll be rapid. Best of luck, hope your pleased with it :)

Only if you can do it yourself but imagine the costs for a tuning company retro fitting a 20v set up and then tune it to well above that of any TB'd, turbo, etc Clio and you'd be talking some serious serious wedge there not a million miles off 10k.

IMO I wouldnt advise anyone to go for TB's just now until the prices have been announced for the Supercharger conversions by GDi and AWT/RS tuning as the noise so far seems to be the costs wont be a million miles away from TB's with cams but the performace difference will be ! :cool:

Clio Sport 172 ITB
im going for the full length trumpets.. bye bye bonnet catch! hello bonnet pins!!!
also just found out my aux belt tensioners went snap....

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
More torque from the extra trumpet-length then?

What the peak difference between the sizes offered?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Thought as much... hmm, losing the OE bonnet for 10lb ft. I'd have to have a serious think about that one.