ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between itb trumpet sizes

Back from the dead....

I read the first page or so but then it started to become turbo vs ITB so I stopped reading.
Anyway I have just got hold of a Micky Mouse Ktec DTH throttle body kit. They have 60mm and 90mm trumpets with them but no filter.

What is my best option at the moment whilst running a carbon bonnet? Can I run 90mm and have a filter assembly, can I get 120mm trumpets and run a filter? Will it make a difference if I cut holes in the bonnet with a hole saw like I have seen on others or is this a waste of time?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You can fit the 90s and see how much space you have with the carbon bonnet and see if there's room for a filter. Ideally you have about 20mm clearance between the end of the trumpets and the inside of the filter and 20mm from the outside of the filter (in front of the trumpets) to the inside of the bonnet.

Remember that the DTH bodies are already 40mm longer than the standard Jenvey SF type so 90mm trumpets is like 130mm on those. As Mark has said above, I run angled ones which give 130mm, so it's like having 170mm trumpets on the SF bodies.

Well I don't think I will be buying any longer trumpets so will see how I get on with the 90's. What is the Optimal length as surely if you go too long it will start having an adverse effect (not taking into account space and bonnet etc)

Has anyone ever cut away the bonnet to fit longer trumpets? I have seen photos of bonnets with circular holes drilled in it. would this help air flow if the filter was too close to the bonnet?

Clio 200
Has anyone ever cut away the bonnet to fit longer trumpets? I have seen photos of bonnets with circular holes drilled in it. would this help air flow if the filter was too close to the bonnet?

I took this pic of a corrado having done that, unless you put a scoop over it it's a fair weather only car though.
10160231594_33b298a307_c.jpg
IMG_2895.jpg
by TB_Rich, on Flickr

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The only issue with socks is that they can be sucked in, if you could get some which have wire reinforcement that will stop any suction problems.

Clio 200
Chris from EFI said I could be best running these ITG filter socks due to lack of space but I have read bad things about them on this forum. Any thoughts?

Socks always get a bad rep for hurting power and I've seen it first hand. I remember (about 12 years ago now, s**t getting old!) I saw a GTI-6 make an extra 13bhp on a back to back RR run by just removing the socks..!

I was just planning on putting them over the trumpets with as much space between the end of the trumpet and inside of the sock as possible and tye wrapping them on? Was that a 2bhp loss from a sausage filter to socks or straight from no filter to socks? If the second did you lose any power going with a sausage filter?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
It was on my Fiesta. It was a 195bhp zetec engine, without the socks it was 197.

On the Clio I didn't measure it with/without filter.

I am bored at work so thought I would update this thread for other in the future:

I fitted a Jenvey Carbon 50mm back box and then a 65mm deep Pipercross filter. I had to remove the slam panel and inner skin from the bonnet and fit a smaller radiator:

35E2AAE2-0874-4683-9D0E-07C0C1255BF0.jpg

7D683D59-EFCB-47FB-8768-EE65963B907B_1.jpg

DADAA3C5-5396-4BF1-8EE3-B1C6ABF1025B.jpg

I am bored at work so thought I would update this thread for other in the future:

I fitted a Jenvey Carbon 50mm back box and then a 65mm deep Pipercross filter. I had to remove the slam panel and inner skin from the bonnet and fit a smaller radiator:

35E2AAE2-0874-4683-9D0E-07C0C1255BF0.jpg

7D683D59-EFCB-47FB-8768-EE65963B907B_1.jpg

DADAA3C5-5396-4BF1-8EE3-B1C6ABF1025B.jpg
From the dead again! haha ive bought a second hand setp with 120mm trumpets and was wondering how much of the underside of the bonnet do you have to hack out for a filter to fit? and what size trumpets did you fit in the end mate? that carbon backplate looks pretty smart!

I ran 90mm trumpets and had to cut the inner skin out of the bonnet. Another 30mm and I don't think I would be able to have any bonnet and maintain the gap between filer and trumpet. On the other hand the Ktec direct to head bodies are longer than generic jenvey bodies so unless you measure the total length from the head to the end of the trumpet I wouldn't know for sure.

HBT 172 Cup
The trumpets need space to breathe, the area around the lip of the bellmouth is important to overall flow and using sock filters will compromise this.