ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difference between itb trumpet sizes

182cup & 172 racecar
Anyway, I like your car you know that, and yes it is quick, in fact, its giggle quick. .
But I'm drowning in words now. Bye..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I just like taking the opportunity to take some pointless off topic "funny" comment and turning it into the basis for further technical discussion, this IS a technical discussion forum after all, so its hardly crime of the century.

I just like taking the opportunity to take some pointless off topic "funny" comment and turning it into the basis for further technical discussion, this IS a technical discussion forum after all, so its hardly crime of the century.

Hahahah REALLY?

You must have such a fun filled life.
When people at christmas tell jokes from crackers do you go "*ahem* actually that's physically impossible, if you understood the laws of motion....." zzzzzzz

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hahahah REALLY?
In the context of a technical discussion forum like I mentioned then yes.

You must have such a fun filled life.
When people at christmas tell jokes from crackers do you go "*ahem* actually that's physically impossible, if you understood the law of motion....." zzzzzzz

No as that is a different context.

As I'm working from home at the moment and got nothing better to do than measure my length

Manifold - 74mm
SF Bodies - 66mm
Trumpets - 120mm

So a total of 260mm to head - obviously a bit further than that to valve.
No idea how that racks up against the DTH bodies or ATPower ones - or the standard inlet but at least we have some actual figures in here now :)

A shed
ktec kit with 90's is 270mm total (trumpet to head) :)

I measured mine with 60's at 240mm.

So, all of the "dont get the ktec kit, get the 'proper/generic' ones with 120's" belly aching is actually a load of s**t

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

So, all of the 'dont get the ktec kit, get the 'proper/generic' ones with 120's' belly aching is actually a load of s**t

And how much bonnet clearance do the Ktec's give on a ph1 with 90mm trumpets and a decent filter setup that has a proper clearance from the tumpet to the filter? ;)

A shed
And how much bonnet clearance do the Ktec's give on a ph1 with 90mm trumpets and a decent filter setup that has a proper clearance from the tumpet to the filter? ;)

That I dont know, and fair point. All i know is that 90's with a proper filter with proper clearence fit on a phase 2 no problem, and if youre willing to hack away the inner skin of the bonnet (which people do/have done) then apparently 120's fit with a proper filter as iceman? did it on his endurance car (or so im led to believe, i think bigash saw it so may know better) which would give a 300mm total length

So, all of the "dont get the ktec kit, get the 'proper/generic' ones with 120's" belly aching is actually a load of s**t

It's not a load of s**t AT ALL.
You can't fit 90's without chopping the bonnet, but you can fit 120mm's to the SF kit without any mods to the bonnet at all
You could angle the DTH kit but then you're adding angles to the inlet path

The K-Tec kit is also the same price as the SF Kit direct from Jenvey - so I fail to see anywhere that it's a benefit? In fact with the death-filter you've got more to spend out the box to get equal performance/setup.

And again you get a better resale chance with the SF kit.
LOL belly aching.

shortrad2.jpg

The angle of the KTR kit is daft. If they'd just designed them to be 10degrees further down you could get proper trumpets on it

IMG_5015.jpg

SF's for comparison

That I dont know, and fair point. All i know is that 90's with a proper filter with proper clearence fit on a phase 2 no problem, and if youre willing to hack away the inner skin of the bonnet (which people do/have done) then apparently 120's fit with a proper filter as iceman? did it on his endurance car (or so im led to believe, i think bigash saw it so may know better) which would give a 300mm total length

He did get 120's on his DTH kit yes - with a gutted carbon fibre bonnet

You can see just how much higher they are than the slam

SNV82670.jpg

A shed
You can't fit 90's without chopping the bonnet, but you can fit 120mm's to the SF kit without any mods to the bonnet at all
You could angle the DTH kit but then you're adding angles to the inlet path

you sure you cant fit 90's on the ktec kit without chopping the bonnet? I think you will find you can ;) and as i say im under the impression 120's will fit with cutting the bonnet.

and didnt you cut your bonnet for 120's on the sf kit or was it someone else? and do you reckon 160's would fit on your setup? as thats what would be needed to match a DTH kit on 120's, which as before im told fits with the inner skin of the bonnet cut.

And i was talking of putting the angled spacers in between the bodies and trumpets not angling the whole lot. that would create the ' ^ ' shape i mentioned before, and as mentioned before is the same approach pure motorsport have taken with their inlet setup.

Bearing in mind the ktec kit is in fact jenvey, an application specific kit being no more expensive than a more mass produced universal setup is actually quite good IMHO. there must be a lot of tooling costs involved.

What youre basically doing is drawing up nothing more than assumptions based on what you believe to be the facts when in fact youre wrong. and bad mouthing a kit purely based on who drove its creation.

Not sure as that's not my car

But he's running the same carbon backing plate and filter as mine - there's about 10mm around the trumpets and around 15-20mm in front of them. The sausage filter is huge

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
if you fit 120s on SFs, you have to cut off the studs for the catch, or you can't fit a filter. I fitted some years ago (2008) and they worked brilliantly. Nobody listened then........lol.

A shed
They look too tall for that backing plate, were they not practically touching the filter?

should be no worse/better than any other 120's with a backingplate and filter surely? think it might be a trick of the eye with the photo.

The photo is really handy though thanks Phil :) ive been trying to find some pics of his setup but never managed to find them. With some angled spacers behind the trumpets theyre going to berather well placed in front of the grill :D 300mm inlet legth here i come! :D

Good god *breathes*

you sure you cant fit 90's on the ktec kit without chopping the bonnet? I think you will find you can ;) and as i say im under the impression 120's will fit with cutting the bonnet.

Not on a ph1 no. On a ph2 maybe but they'd be pressed against the bonnet latch bit on a standard bonnet and airflow would be kinda s**t to them

and didnt you cut your bonnet for 120's on the sf kit or was it someone else? and do you reckon 160's would fit on your setup? as thats what would be needed to match a DTH kit on 120's, which as before im told fits with the inner skin of the bonnet cut.

I cut my bonnet just because I didn't see any point having that big bulge where the latch used to be and you get more space around the filter.
The filter on mine was pressing against the bonnet - so I know for a fact on a DTH kit it wouldn't fit as they angle up about 10 more degrees (see above pics)

And i was talking of putting the angled spacers in between the bodies and trumpets not angling the whole lot. that would create the ' ^ ' shape i mentioned before, and as mentioned before is the same approach pure motorsport have taken with their inlet setup.

Ok well I've never seen their inlet so no idea, but it's still money you don't need to spend if you buy the "proper" kit instead of the KTR branded stuff

Bearing in mind the ktec kit is in fact jenvey, an application specific kit being no more expensive than a more mass produced universal setup is actually quite good IMHO. there must be a lot of tooling costs involved.

How does that make any sense when the application specific kit is a poorer design/fit than the standard setup?

What youre basically doing is drawing up nothing more than assumptions based on what you believe to be the facts when in fact youre wrong. and bad mouthing a kit purely based on who drove its creation.

What the literal f**k are you on?
I've posted pics. The KTR DTH kit sits 20mm higher than the SF kit. Regardless of if you have a ph1 or ph2 you'll need to chop the bonnet. That makes it a more difficult fit than the SF setup. If you fit angled spacers that makes it more expensive too.

Do you work for K-Tec? Do they send you a gift voucher for christmas or something?

If it's such an epic setup then ask yourself why Jenvey still sell the SF kit direct and it's only K-Tec that sell the DTH setup. They just wanted something with their brand name on it.

if you fit 120s on SFs, you have to cut off the studs for the catch, or you can't fit a filter. I fitted some years ago (2008) and they worked brilliantly. Nobody listened then........lol.

Yep - I listened. I have that exact setup on my car.
I cut the studs off but the bonnet still sat on the filter so I decided to just chop the inner skin out completely for more air around the filter :)

And yes it works BRILLIANTLY.

should be no worse/better than any other 120's with a backingplate and filter surely? think it might be a trick of the eye with the photo.

The photo is really handy though thanks Phil :) ive been trying to find some pics of his setup but never managed to find them. With some angled spacers behind the trumpets theyre going to berather well placed in front of the grill :D 300mm inlet legth here i come! :D

That's literally the only benefit to them. You should be able to get the filter to sit right up against the grille. It'll make some fecking torque with that setup!

Please stop these SF/DTH arguments though lol

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
If it's such an epic setup then ask yourself why Jenvey still sell the SF kit direct and it's only K-Tec that sell the DTH setup. They just wanted something with their brand name on it.

Ktec paid to have the dev done, they've got the rights to the re-selling, Jenvey can't sell it elsewhere. They do a fair number of DTH kits now

Looks very familiar ;)

You can see on that pic the advantage of the SF's if you don't want to arse about with spacers. The 120 trumpets sit about the same height as the original slam panel, so as you've said other than the 2 studs you don't have to chop your bonnet.

Compare it to icemans pic with 120s, they sit about 15mm higher than the slam panel

Ktec paid to have the dev done, they've got the rights to the re-selling, Jenvey can't sell it elsewhere. They do a fair number of DTH kits now

The same thing happened with ATPower and GMC for the pugs/citroens.

It sadly doesn't always make a better setup especially as they'll have been worried about standard radiators and air-con setups etc... to make them easy for their customers to fit.

A shed
That's literally the only benefit to them. You should be able to get the filter to sit right up against the grille. It'll make some fecking torque with that setup!

Please stop these SF/DTH arguments though lol

Only when you admit that the DTH kit is not worse than the sf kit :p :p

Just realised the spacers will add length as well so probably looking at nearer 310mm total on my setup - cannot wait :D :D

but the DTH's are longer than an SF on a manifold so it's not a fair comparison

Yes I understand that - but even on 90's they are higher.

I don't think either kit is better than the other out of the box - but I'd rather have the SF's if you're chasing length LOL

I suppose you could get the DTH's machined at an angle to lower them a bit

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I still have my 25 mm spacers so may have a look at fitting them behind my backing plate if there is enough room behind the carbon bonnet.