ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fault code vehicle speed sensor 2003 clio 172 ph2

clio sport 172
Hey all, Sorry if this has been posted before i just cant seem to find the answers i am looking for anywhere.

Here goes. I keep getting the emissions light coming on solid state. (no other lights) Fault code reads "Vehicle speed sensor" which i understand how this would bring on the emissions light not reading correct vehicle speed so not right fuel air mixture for power delivery from engine.

I have been told by an ex renault tech that this is the speedo sensor fault not the engine speed. after been i noob and changing the crank speed sensor and it not making a difference.

My clio is a ph2 172 03 plate and does not have the speedo sensor in the diff housing so assuming it runs off the ABS wheel speed sensors.

I do not have an ABS warning light on which i thought might happen should 1 of these sensors goes faulty and the ABS appears to be working fine as is my speedo. All the reluctor rings are fine and have been cleaned up. The only symptoms been a slight hesitation when accelerating from low speeds. (maybe just me). when i reset the ecu using RS Tuner everything goes back to normal for about 50-60miles then the fault re-appears.

Can someone please clarify which ABS sensor this fault would refer to or could this be a different sensor somewhere else, maybe even the ABS unit? like i said my 172 does not have speedo sensor in gearbox diff housing.

Any help would be good thanks.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
Hi, did you get to the bottom of this? i have exactly the same problem on my 53 plate.

My friend just read the code today and said the above but speedo and ABS seem to work fine. Do you have cruise control on yours? As mine doesn't work.
The previous owner mapped it with the RStuner 98ron map and said it came on after but didnt actually alter the emissions. Glad that iv'e found someone with the same issue but hope you've sorted yours. Need to go get a Rstuner but they seem to be like hotcakes at the moment.

Westfield, 182, 200
Read this fault on my 182 (no light on though) it reffered to the engine speed sensor which you've changed. Cleared it and it'sbeen ok.

Also had my cc fail, was a faulty brake lit switch-£13 from Renault.

​Ian.