ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help ASAP - Running problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
you may as well dude, your cars already 90% there, just wants a jenvey kit and off you go. You'll be making Evo and Scooby owners cry before you know it! lol

Exige S1 + Honda S1
lol

if you mean the omex, it will be mounted where it was before, maybe with some waterproofing when I get it back.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
cheers andy!!

for future reference it turned out it was the ecu all along, dead ignition drivers.

andy persuaded omex to replace it, car is running now!
andy is sorting out the rest of the wiring which has been played about with as he aint happy with it, neither was I tbh.

good news has made my day :D

Last edited:
andy is sorting out the rest of the wiring which has been played about with as he aint happy with it, neither was I tbh.

Glad its sorted!

Pretty poor from OMEX though.

Is Andy saying the wiring had been messed with since the original conversion?

Exige S1 + Honda S1
yea there has been parts of wires added in, Ive noticed it had been butchered a bit when I was searching for the problem myself!

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Thats pretty shady of omex, what have they got to say for themselves?

''heres a new one free of charge'' lol, i think they have been very accomodating tbh, doubt they would have been so obliging if it wasnt for GDI though.

It has a lot to do with the number of times the car has been taken apart (making the spark arc from the lead to the coilpack) that has caused the omex to blow the drivers.

I was going to get the conversion done sometime anyway, seemed the best time when andy had the car.

Various
Thats pretty shady of omex, what have they got to say for themselves?

Dear Members of ClioSport

We have never put a post on here stating our position as I do not think a manufacturer should get involved with a general discussion forum for members use. However, this forum seems to have one or two members that use it to have a constant dig at Omex and GDI. The member above asks what we have to say for ourselves and this is the answer.

We became aware of the problem with Phil's car when we had an ECU back for testing at Omex. The ECU had a failed ignition driver that serves cylinders 1 and 4. That ECU had suffered from severe water ingress at some point in its life and the PCB had corroded. In addition Ignition 1 output had failed. There is no way of knowing which caused which failure. The ECU was repaired and tested on the bench and was fully operational. Because of the location of the vehicle and hence the distance involved we wished to test the ECU on a vehicle aswell, and that was done 3 days later on one of our test vehicles for approx 30 mins where it functioned correctly. The ECU was returned to the user.

We then heard from Phil that there was a problem that went away if the wires were 'wiggled'. That does not indicate an ECU problem but after discussion with Andrew Cornock at our office Phil was offered a loan ECU to test on his car. As he did not feel that was the problem he declined. We now understand that the vehicle was taken to one or more garages for diagnosis but to no avail.

I was at GDI yesterday and along with Andy Cutler examined the vehicle. Within 2 minutes of diagnosis (ie we checked for a spark on cyls 1 and 4!) it was obvious it was either the ECU or the wiring to the coil. We put in temporary wiring to the coil which had no effect, so we swapped ECUs. The car instantly ran fine. So in 10 minutes it was diagnosed. I find it simply staggering that so many people have commented for so long, and that other garages examined the vehicle, and that it still was not fixed.

As the vehicle was at GDI and the owner was not present we could have easily made up a story about what was wrong. We did not as I really do not believe in hiding from the truth. We cannot know what caused the ignition driver to fail a second time, but with all the unnecesary testing going on who knows what was connected to what. As far as I am concerned, apart from taking too long to return the ECU to the owner, a procedure that has now been tightened, we did what was reasonable to try to cure the fault. The ignition driver will be repaired again and as the vehicle is now at GDI it will be fully tested in its application.

Now the final point I will make is the connection I have with GDI. I am the owner and MD of Omex Technology and also a shareholder in GDI. Omex itself has no link to GDI apart from GDI is a customer of Omex.

I do hope that is clear to all those who really want to know what goes on in these situations.

Richard Wragg
Omex Technology

M

mini-valver

I fail to see how someone can diagnose an OMEX ECU as at fault without having a spare ECU to test so your presumption that said garages had failed to diagnose anything is abit unfair.
Is it not possible that the OMEX is poorly sealed in the first place and not fit for purpose above a gearbox in an engine bay? I'd call that bad practice but then again, I have no idea how the OMEX is put together and/or sealed.

It seems a couple of people are geting problems this time of year running OMEX in the engine bay, Maybe this is an area that requires your attention rather than dismissing it as failure to diagnose a problem in the first place....

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Thanks for that richard, it is pretty much what andy made clear to me as well.
I find it amazing that I paid a lot of money for expert garages time to find the fault and they came back with nothing.

I appreciate your efforts richard, just glad its sorted now and looking forward to getting it back now, new and improved.

As said previously, I think il be casing the ecu so it is watertight.

Im sure the main factor of the failure was that the car sat outside for 3 months and didnt move, damp obviously built up and caused the failure. Just a b**ch it had to happen 300miles after I got the car

Last edited:
  Polo GTi
I would of thought you shouldn't have to waterproof the ECU yourself, was this not thought of in the design stage?

My Standard ECU is in the engine bay and I would like to think after 3 months of not driving I wouldnt have to replace the ECU?

Exige S1 + Honda S1
remember the weather in scotland though lol

I'd purely be waterproofing it as a precaution, i dont fancy going through this again anytime soon.

M

mini-valver

remember the weather in scotland though lol

I'd purely be waterproofing it as a precaution, i dont fancy going through this again anytime soon.

But still, makes you wonder wether it's fit for purpose!

Richard Wragg
Omex Technology

It is nice to read a detailed reply to a problem and how it has been resolved. GDI appear to be happy that members on a 'public' forum make there own mind up based on information short on technical detail. Is it a wonder people make assumptions?

I am currently dealing with you regarding a potential ECU problem which looks to be caused by corrosion of the PCB. I am very happy with your customer support and appreciate the loan of an ecu. Keeping the ECU inside for the day and spraying it with wd40 appears to have sorted it though.

As part of your product development I assume this information is very helpful to you and you appreciate customer feedback. This also goes for GDI as it appears two of there clio conversions have had similar problems. Based on these issues I would assume GDI are looking at repositioning the ECU? A good start would be philthy's car. I dont want to teach OMEX/GDI how to suck eggs as I sup[pose this is already being done?

It would be wrong of you to assume the Cliosport members are idiots who spend there days slagging people off. We are all car enthusiasts who have a valid input into your products. I have been using an OMEX converted car for two years as a daily driver after all.

I think mini valver's post is a good response to your post so I wont repeat the same things.

Burying your heads in the sand and playing the blame game is very transparent.

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Glad it's going to be fixed and i hope the car is reliable after the TB's are fitted! Long was for us scots to travel to get it fixed everytime it breaks!

:)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah glad its sorted and thanks for the detailed reply. Was more referring to the fact that you'd already had the ECU on one occasion and sent it back. But fair play that its all done now, good service in the end.

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
about time phil!!! lol. spotted ur car down gdi last week :) (mine`s down there having engine work but forgot to leave my locking nut key, so had to travel 200miles to drop it off! i`m a fuking idiot LMFAO)

williams 2
all up and running now phil :D . Finished off the last few final bits before mapping! The ecu is now secure and out the way of any water but because your not gonna pressure wash your engine bay it wont get wet!

Ill show you a few things when you collect your car, see what you think...

have a safe flight and ill see u in the week :)

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Nice one:D Ive forgotten what it was like to drive its been so long! 20 miles in 2 months lol. My girlfriend is coming down with me to keep me company on the long drive home. Shall see you then!

Foxon, what you getting done?

Exige S1 + Honda S1
was that the white loom connector next to the fuse box?
If so, the clip is actually broken on it, I had to tie the whole loom together as it was cutting off the supply to the fuel pump.

It was fine after that

V6 Exige, GTR R35
was that the white loom connector next to the fuse box?
If so, the clip is actually broken on it, I had to tie the whole loom together as it was cutting off the supply to the fuel pump.

It was fine after that

nope was an almighty big junction box for the battery supply to the fuse box.

Status
Not open for further replies.