ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help ASAP - Running problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Exige S1 + Honda S1
I just checked the wiring from the coilpack to the ecu and its all fine.
Ive taken the wiring apart and it all looks okay.

I cant explain how frustrating this is, especially I now dont have any more options.

Skoda Fabia vRS
has a compression test been done

couldnt be bothered to read 15 pages

at first this sounded like coil to me, but im wondering if it might be the head gasket, gone between cylinders

mine ran on 2 when that went, if you left the car for a while it would start again but run like crap

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Yea I did it yesterday, all cylinders were 185-192 psi

The car starts everytime(sometimes with a few extra turns) but runs on 2

M

mini-valver

No it doesn't affect compression.
It could of done mate but you said plugs temparaliy fixed it? Get it checked, it's not a big job to see if it has!

Exige S1 + Honda S1
well after a chat with a friend of mine tonight he thinks its the cambelt and another mechanic freind of his thinks it is too.

Im going to phone about for someone to come and look at it tomo then take it to get replaced, maybe kenny brown or another knowledgeable place near by

anyone got a trailer?! lol

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
gud luck mately, been fuk`d for quite a while now, bet u can`t wait for it to be fixed!!

Exige S1 + Honda S1
yea you bet, Im going to need it for 5 weeks time as well.

thing is GDI replaced the belt 15k miles ago, im going to go dig out a receipt

Last edited:
  GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
if the centre two cylinders are not sparking it can be down to just 1 wire... if the connection on the coilpack plug is not contacting properally it will cause this... i cant remember which one of the pins it is but its either the orange or the beige wire controls both the centre cylinder as they are wasted spark.... so both fire at the same time...

if it were belt issues there would be the same problem across all 4 i would have thought and as the compressions are good it seems its not mechanical at all.

indeed the belt was changed when the engine was built...

it seems to me this is a connector problem, trace the pin back from the coilpack to the pins of the ecu, pins 1a and 12a control the ignition on the omex 600 loom, so a simple continuity test will look at that..

then look at the pins in the plugs themselves, check that the connector has not been opened (say by probes put in there to test etc)... these can be removed from the plugs and bent back in so they contact properally on the pins of the coil and the ecu...

hope this helps

Andy

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Tried all that already andy on saturday/sunday, had the whole electrics out and tested every wire to the connector and then to the ecu to check the connections, all 3 wires to the coilpack are fine.

you did a good job of soldering them all neatly if Im honest.

260% JCW
Is it smoking out the exhaust mate when its running on 2?? when cold mine would start but run on 3 and there would be white smoke pissing out the exhaust smelling of neat fuel. Tryed the coils, leads and spark plugs put my cat back on but it was still fooked. Any way plugged it into to my mates diagnostic tool and it said i had an injector fault. Two of my injectors were shagged and stuck wide open, fuel was being chucked in and putting out the spark so to speak. My clios on an 02 plate with 49,000 on the clock. Worth a poke mate.

Is it smoking out the exhaust mate when its running on 2?? when cold mine would start but run on 3 and there would be white smoke pissing out the exhaust smelling of neat fuel. Tryed the coils, leads and spark plugs put my cat back on but it was still fooked. Any way plugged it into to my mates diagnostic tool and it said i had an injector fault. Two of my injectors were shagged and stuck wide open, fuel was being chucked in and putting out the spark so to speak. My clios on an 02 plate with 49,000 on the clock. Worth a poke mate.

That sounds like a possibility.

Swap the injectors round and see what happens. Is the car still on standard injectors?

Exige S1 + Honda S1
I had the injector rail off last week too and let it spray while cranking, they pulsed in the correct order and a regular pattern across all 4.

It doesnt smoke at all, not even a little even if i give it a wee rev while its cold.

arrrgghhhhh its booked into Kenny Brown for next friday, f**king ages away

Exige S1 + Honda S1
would really really appreciate that ali,
Im sure I could find something to tow it with, maybe buy a tow hook for the van.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
okay so towed the car to the garage, but thanks ali for the offer of the trailer.

The garage have come up with 2 possible options but trying the smallest first> the cambelt has slipped a notch or the ignition drivers are failing.

A question for the experts, does the omex take care of the ignition or the renault ecu?

GDI/omex are closed for the weekend, would like to know by monday if possible

Exige S1 + Honda S1
so do I mate, I dont think its going to be a cheap fix anyway!

the igintion drivers are the part of the ECU that omex repaired.

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
^^ well if it is then surely there should foot the bill, especially if they were ment to hav repaired them!!

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Id have a good time if that was the case, it could well be the cambelt though, or the renault ecu drivers have broken down.

need to know if that is possible though

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
the omex runs the ignition control, the power supply comes from the OE fuse box on the right side of the engine bay

the injectors are the same controlled by the omex, powered by the engine control relay.

I still feel that if the timing has slipped, it would not work on just 2 cylinders.

LY 182
timing cant be too far out if you get equal compression readings on all cylinders i cant see how a tooth out on the timing can put 2 cylinders out.

See both your points here, i dont think getting water near a electronics is a good idea full stop. But what i would like to know is why do you always feel the need to argue with people about GDI jesus? Like very company they have the good points and bad points. but for some reason you dont wanna accept that on the off chance they may have done something wrong. You make me laugh though lol

Exige S1 + Honda S1
it is intermittant the running on 2, at least I should be able to knock out the fact its the omex to fault as it has been run on another car without failure.

Il speak to the garage on monday and see what he says, he may have checked the signal from the ecu to give him the idea thats whats causing it

M

mini-valver

Have you changed the leads? Arcing to the manifold maybe? I doubt the cambelt has slipped TBH. Hope t's sorted soon buddy, It's been a while!!

Exige S1 + Honda S1
I swapped number 1+4 with 2+3 and it was the same 2 cylinders that didnt fire, plus they are magnecor 8.5mm so doubtful.

cheers for the support though!

M

mini-valver

It has to be something in the ECU's then dude, I'm stumped!
Keep us posted mate.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
okay an update as promised!

the car is fixed (sort of) It runs on 4 now but revs at 2k revs on idle. im think the VDO valve thingy, he maintains there is no air leaks on the inlet

the guy found a loose connection on the wiring loom, havent picked the car up yet so will reveal more when I know it.

M

mini-valver

Result! The idle thing does sound like an air leak but as he says there is'nt.... Have you tried blocking the carbon cannister pipe off? Mine split somewhere and would idle really high. I cut it and put a bung in the line and it was fine!
Map sensor leaking?

Exige S1 + Honda S1
lol, I think il still be keeping it when its fixed, this car owes me

well its not fixed, not at all. Drove 200yds out the garage and it started again, he warned me it would but told me how to stop it and why he thinks it could be a lead (wouldnt show up on voltmeter) or possibly the omex hasnt been repaired.

Andy from GDI is very kindly is sending me up a spare set of leads to try.

If I cant sort it Andy has offered to fault find F.O.C. which means trailering allll the way down to him, could be the only option in the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.