ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec Stealth - Too Loud?

172 FF
Hey all,

Just thought I'd update the thread following my experiences with K-Tec Racing and fitment of their exhausts.

As some of you may recall, I was a bit reticent to go down the aftermarket route being concerned about having something boy-racerish and generally head-ache inducing. Now on to the c**k-up...!

I decided to take the plunge and go for the K-Tec Stealth for my 172 based on the videos kindly posted up on the forum. Due to what we shall call a 'mis-communication' (definitely AT LEAST 50% my fault), the guys at K-Tec fitted the 'RECESSED' exhaust, not the Stealth one!

So, I ended-up with a cut out of my bumper and a visible tailpipe on my otherwise standard 172 - help! In honesty, it looked brilliant and sounded lovely but... I really wanted to keep my car looking 100% standard.

I must say, the outcome shocked me in terms of customer service!:eek:

Sorry, no horror stories for you - quite the oppossite. :rasp:

K-Tec couldn't have been more helpful. In the end, I drove back down there a couple of weeks later and they swapped my bumper with one of the technicians' and fitted the stealth onto my car at no cost.

It would have been easy for them to just say I'd have to live with it, or try and charge me to swap... ultimately, I had agreed to 'the recessed one' on the day of fitting, getting confused between what I ordered on the phone and what they had down on paper.

It goes without saying that I'll be using them again. Not only am I extremely happy with the exhaust (sound, quality, fitting) but I left feeling a very, very satisfied customer...

Big thumbs-up to KTR!!:D:D:D

Cheers,

Tom

320d
My stealth arrived quickly and i've had no problems with it so far too. Now its bed in properly it sounds realy good too, quiet driving normally and nice when going for it.

My only reservation is that it happens to be realy loud between 70-80mph in 5th. Cruising its not to bad but if you go up or down hill, accelerate or decalerate it becomes loud which isn't ideal for motorway driving.

I'd reccomend one regardless though, thinking of having it decated too.

172 FF
Hey Brett,

Yeah, I have the drone between 70-80. Find myself driving more at 90mph+ now which I'm sure is to be frowned-upon.

Well worth it though - the standard systems sounds so rank when you floor the throttle - used to make me think I was damaging the car!

Quite fancy a Megane R26 next so would be straight down to KTR for some bits...

Bus w**ker
K-Tec couldn't have been more helpful. In the end, I drove back down there a couple of weeks later and they swapped my bumper with one of the technicians' and fitted the stealth onto my car at no cost.
Now that's customer care! :eek:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
My stealth arrived quickly and i've had no problems with it so far too. Now its bed in properly it sounds realy good too, quiet driving normally and nice when going for it.

My only reservation is that it happens to be realy loud between 70-80mph in 5th. Cruising its not to bad but if you go up or down hill, accelerate or decalerate it becomes loud which isn't ideal for motorway driving.

I'd reccomend one regardless though, thinking of having it decated too.

Yeah not the nicest sound when under load.

They're quite quiet, i'm after a yozzasport race system next.

E90 320d M Sport
I'm looking at selling my K-tec stealth, it is soo damn annoying on the motorway if you have given it some beans.

Can't hear anyone in the car speaking.

Is the yozza the quietest SS stealth system?

Fabia vRS
UPDATE - I'm on my second KTR stealth now after KTR replaced the my first following my complaint about the noise. Unfortunately for all those out there who think it's too loud I have no improvements to report. Still ridiculously loud and droney on the motorway or when you have a few people in the car, generally when the engine has to work harder betwen 3K and 4K revs. For me it's just embarrassing. Maybe we're all just grumpy old men, but when I purchased my KTR stealth I was assured by KTR it would be an equivalent replacement for the OEM system, I most certainly didn't want anything loud. KTR customer service however is brilliant, very helpful, thumbs up! Reluctantly I'm gonna have to sell it and go back to an OEM system which will probably p*ss me off in another way by dropping off after 2 years!

Is there any stainless system out there which is considdered nothing more than a better quality direct replacement for the OEM system, i.e. no performance improvements and certainly no increase in noise or drone?

Have any of you guys experiemented with sound proofing, especially the boot space to try and reduce the noise?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
UPDATE - I'm on my second KTR stealth now after KTR replaced the my first following my complaint about the noise. Unfortunately for all those out there who think it's too loud I have no improvements to report. Still ridiculously loud and droney on the motorway or when you have a few people in the car, generally when the engine has to work harder betwen 3K and 4K revs. For me it's just embarrassing. Maybe we're all just grumpy old men, but when I purchased my KTR stealth I was assured by KTR it would be an equivalent replacement for the OEM system, I most certainly didn't want anything loud. KTR customer service however is brilliant, very helpful, thumbs up! Reluctantly I'm gonna have to sell it and go back to an OEM system which will probably p*ss me off in another way by dropping off after 2 years!

Is there any stainless system out there which is considdered nothing more than a better quality direct replacement for the OEM system, i.e. no performance improvements and certainly no increase in noise or drone?

Have any of you guys experiemented with sound proofing, especially the boot space to try and reduce the noise?

Thats what pisses me off. It most certainly is not oem sounding or in fitment imo. I was ranting at the start of the thread, this was based on one i had fitted to my old cup about 3 years ago. I have just bought another Cup, with a stealth fitted three weeks ago. HATE it. Sold it for a oem. Its far too droney as soon as the engine is put under load. Makes the whole car horrid to be in. I've been told i'm a poof etc, but imo its a poor sounding droney boomy system. *end rant

:eek:

There is nothing out there of direct replacement quality. I've never seen or heard a Yozza stealth, i think its hearsay, nobody i've seen on this forum has one fitted. If they do, get vids up!!! I've also dynamatted the boot floor of my 182 with a sytem i had on that. Made no difference, other than -£40 from my wallet lol

Last edited:
  320d
Stealths sound awful on the motorway, like a boomy halfords can.

However, driving around town they are quiet and when going for it they sound realy good.

All imo of course.

Fabia vRS
Unfortunately Brett on the motorway is when it's gonna p*ss you off the most, hour upon hour of an ears bleeding combination of boom, drone and your maxed out stereo trying to compete :mad: I certainly agree it sounds good when you're gunning it on the redline but certainly for me that is the smallest fraction of time I am in the car.

Stealths sound awful on the motorway, like a boomy halfords can.

However, driving around town they are quiet and when going for it they sound realy good.

All imo of course.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Unfortunately Brett on the motorway is when it's gonna p*ss you off the most, hour upon hour of an ears bleeding combination of boom, drone and your maxed out stereo trying to compete :mad: I certainly agree it sounds good when you're gunning it on the redline but certainly for me that is the smallest fraction of time I am in the car.

I don't really find my stealth that loud TBH. even my GF doesn't mind long motorway journeys it and she isn't into cars, let alone noisy exhausts.

I'm after something a bit louder next like a yozzasport race system :evil:

320d
I don't think its the volume that annoys people fletcher its the boom. Doesn't bother me personally i'm used to it. Annoys my GF though, but if she wants a lift she doen't have a choice.

Decat coming soon ;)

Fabia vRS
Lol. No worries 197gaz. I guess I'm a poof aswell, no idea what that means these days lol.

On a serious note though did dynamating your boot make no difference whatsoever?

Do you think I should swallow my bride and go back to an OEM? How much did you pay for a complete OEM system and where did you but it from? Cheers.

Thats what pisses me off. It most certainly is not oem sounding or in fitment imo. I was ranting at the start of the thread, this was based on one i had fitted to my old cup about 3 years ago. I have just bought another Cup, with a stealth fitted three weeks ago. HATE it. Sold it for a oem. Its far too droney as soon as the engine is put under load. Makes the whole car horrid to be in. I've been told i'm a poof etc, but imo its a poor sounding droney boomy system. *end rant

:eek:

There is nothing out there of direct replacement quality. I've never seen or heard a Yozza stealth, i think its hearsay, nobody i've seen on this forum has one fitted. If they do, get vids up!!! I've also dynamatted the boot floor of my 182 with a sytem i had on that. Made no difference, other than -£40 from my wallet lol

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Lol. No worries 197gaz. I guess I'm a poof aswell, no idea what that means these days lol.

On a serious note though did dynamating your boot make no difference whatsoever?

Do you think I should swallow my bride and go back to an OEM? How much did you pay for a complete OEM system and where did you but it from? Cheers.

Full cat back system cost me £232, but that was though a friend (legend tbf :approve:). But i do believe Renault have a 23% discount promotion you you normal peeps ;) (well did, might have ended now?)

Anyway, just got back from my first motorway journey without the stealth. Nice and relaxing. The o.e system is cetainly worth the £££ imo

Gaz

M2 Competition
Standard system sounds lovely on the cups :)

I think it might be a sign of getting old mate, but i cant stand modified exhausts anymore.

They dont make the car faster, they dont sound good... you may as well set light to £400 and hack your standard backbox off.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Standard decat is the way i will roll, but yeah, cant stand anything noisy/droney etc. 197 pawns it in the sound department though, spot on for a standard car, tuned just right :)

Black 172 PH2
I have the "SuperSport" version on my 172, Had an Unsilenced decat aswell, now that IS loud.
Definite boom when i had the unsilenced decat, didnt bother me but did my girlfriend lol
Had my standard Cat fitted for MOT and find the stealth very easy to live with.
Not too loud but still provides a good note.

Although everyone has different tastes, a loud exhaust for one person is not loud for another.

All id say is when looking at getting an aftermarket exhaust, try to hear it in person first if possible, videos vary to much depending on how they are filmed.

TTRS & V50
After living with it more..

They are f**king awful. Makes me wanna get a 182, just so i can get a half decent exhaust, lol.

Last edited:
  Fabia vRS
Full cat back system cost me £232, but that was though a friend (legend tbf :approve:). But i do believe Renault have a 23% discount promotion you you normal peeps ;) (well did, might have ended now?)

Anyway, just got back from my first motorway journey without the stealth. Nice and relaxing. The o.e system is cetainly worth the £££ imo

Gaz

Nice and relaxing, that's what I need, so I'm definitely gonna make the change back to OEM, cheers for the advice Gaz.

One thing i've learned from this thread is there seems to be a vast difference in opinion between ages and what the car is used for. If you're young, you mainly tootle around town with your mates, and you're used to sleeping on floors at parties and being stabbed, then you seem to love your stealth :approve:. If you're an oldie, your girlfriend thinks your ClioSport is 'chavvy' at the best of times, and you do a lot of motorway miles, then it's embarrassing :eek: and you hate it :mad:.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
After living with it more..

They are f**king awful. Makes me wanna get a 182, just so i can get a half decent exhaust, lol.

Even worse!!!
Only one i'd have is a Janspeed, non of the others fit! The Milltek i had on mine had to be the worst fitting exhaust ive ever bought. I swear the whole system was jigged 10mm out. w**k. Sounded OK though.

320d
Nice and relaxing, that's what I need, so I'm definitely gonna make the change back to OEM, cheers for the advice Gaz.

One thing i've learned from this thread is there seems to be a vast difference in opinion between ages and what the car is used for. If you're young, you mainly tootle around town with your mates, and you're used to sleeping on floors at parties and being stabbed, then you seem to love your stealth :approve:. If you're an oldie, your girlfriend thinks your ClioSport is 'chavvy' at the best of times, and you do a lot of motorway miles, then it's embarrassing :eek: and you hate it :mad:.

Everything in bold is true for me. After having the stealth for 2 months I couldn't imagine going back to a car with a standard system tbh.

M2 Competition

Lol at the clarkson quotes!!

Spot on mate. I had a few silly loud exhausts when i was younger, now im plus 25 i find it embarrassing. I borrowed a ph1 with a stealth fitted, and couldnt wait to give it back! Felt daft giving my mate a lift home in it.

Fabia vRS
pussy's. you need a pugsport'ed 106, or supersprint as my case was! Thats a mans exhaust.

Pussys (no apostrophe), poofs, call us what you like. No one on this forum will argue against the ClioSport being a fantastic car. There's a reason I bought it in the first place, I've never driven anything with quite the handling or response, it's such good fun. But you can have all that without blood pouring out of your ears or waking the neighbours by parallel parking it on a hilly street at 2am :eek:. I had everything I wanted with my original OEM system. The KTR stealth is making me begin to dislike my car and that's just unhealthy!