ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Skoda Fabia VRS
It looked cool and old skool until you fitted the gashy Morettes. Other than that it's mint. I'd have not bought red seats either.
I've already gone off the Morettes if I'm honest...
Seats were ridiculously cheap and came with subframes and side mounts, considering it's a budget track build they fit the purpose spot on.

edit*
They also came with a Momo Wheel and boss kit too, which I can easily make £50 off!

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Have you removed the fire mat behind the pedals? goes all the way along the back of the dash - weighs a good 20kg and an easy weight loss/power solution.
Is it mainly as a track car? the 155lb's were far too soft for track action, 250lb felt on the money at the same stage you were at with performance/weight loss.
I wouldn't bother with ITB's if you were still thinking of it. Been there and wasted money on that, the noise is epic, but the gains and hassle is far from rewarding.
Good to see you're having a go with the spanners, far to many people saying 'I'd love to do something like this...' and then just sit on the xbox wanking away.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Have you removed the fire mat behind the pedals? goes all the way along the back of the dash - weighs a good 20kg and an easy weight loss/power solution.
Is it mainly as a track car? the 155lb's were far too soft for track action, 250lb felt on the money at the same stage you were at with performance/weight loss.
I wouldn't bother with ITB's if you were still thinking of it. Been there and wasted money on that, the noise is epic, but the gains and hassle is far from rewarding.
Good to see you're having a go with the spanners, far to many people saying 'I'd love to do something like this...' and then just sit on the xbox wanking away.

I haven't actually, but I didn't realise it possessed that sort of weight? That's mad gains to be made with that loss, I'll look into it on the weekend mate.
It'll mainly be a fast road sort of weekend car, but with the added in track days (I can't afford too many). In regards to the 155lb's, I have actually been advised by a few others to run 250/300lb. So I got on the phone to Mr Faulkner himself and he shared some pointers. The 155lb's were advised as a soft compromise between good handling and comfort, as I don't fancy too stiff because of the atrocious roads we have, but should be miles better than standard/other brands on track.
They're not predominantly on my mind, yes it would be f**king awesome, but like you said is it that rewarding? I'm looking at about £800 for bodies, £500 for ecu, £400ish for mapping (friends quote for the Predator ECU), lets say £300 to have the lot fitted and that's £2,000. I've known friends make 156bhp on bodies, I can say for sure making 36bhp over standard and spending upwards of £2500 with cams and exhaust etc, I would be disappointed to say the least. Especially considering a good healthy engine with the right map can see 145-150 with just cams alone.
Thanks mate. As I've said before, it's probably like changing a pair of socks to someone else, but find a little bit of joy in doing jobs myself, even if it's just fitting the exhaust/manifold. I intend on changing to the 266mm brake setup soon with 23mm master cylinder, so that'll be a first for me and I look forward to it.

Now looks like every other ruined saxo lol

Fair enough your car but oem for me they look their best
I'm going to be changing back to standard with the lights, flickering through the two pictures I have to agree, original looks much better. I still love how aggressive the front end looks with the Morettes, but it just doesn't feel right.

23689464694_b4fcf18b25_z.jpg

21888879936_3b204c6c26_z.jpg

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I haven't actually, but I didn't realise it possessed that sort of weight? That's mad gains to be made with that loss, I'll look into it on the weekend mate.
It'll mainly be a fast road sort of weekend car, but with the added in track days (I can't afford too many). In regards to the 155lb's, I have actually been advised by a few others to run 250/300lb. So I got on the phone to Mr Faulkner himself and he shared some pointers. The 155lb's were advised as a soft compromise between good handling and comfort, as I don't fancy too stiff because of the atrocious roads we have, but should be miles better than standard/other brands on track.
They're not predominantly on my mind, yes it would be f**king awesome, but like you said is it that rewarding? I'm looking at about £800 for bodies, £500 for ecu, £400ish for mapping (friends quote for the Predator ECU), lets say £300 to have the lot fitted and that's £2,000. I've known friends make 156bhp on bodies, I can say for sure making 36bhp over standard and spending upwards of £2500 with cams and exhaust etc, I would be disappointed to say the least. Especially considering a good healthy engine with the right map can see 145-150 with just cams alone.
Thanks mate. As I've said before, it's probably like changing a pair of socks to someone else, but find a little bit of joy in doing jobs myself, even if it's just fitting the exhaust/manifold. I intend on changing to the 266mm brake setup soon with 23mm master cylinder, so that'll be a first for me and I look forward to it.

Yes it is crazy heavy that matting, if you don' t dare remove the dash, just start chopping as much out with a stanley blade. Weigh it on the kitchen scales.
Get a heat gun on the tar in the footwells (1.5kg a side if i recall)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-iY7HFSunp-8/US0Zh6u1SLI/AAAAAAAABkA/QVTkhy07NeI/s640/IMG_2151.JPG

I've had two sets of custom springs made by Faulkner direct, both customer service and quality is/was exceptional. He is correct regarding the 155 setup, it was basically something that could suit all, that Kamracing could sell as a shelf item, to mate with the B8's. To be honest, track days are a hoot and if you had the perfect setup from day 1, the fun would soon die off and you wouldn't keep going with the tools.
Yes your costs are spot on for the bodies, don't bother. I went down the AT route and wish i'd have put money into a supercharger instead.

Saxo's are great cars to cut your teeth on, I did exactly the same. Have fun.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Yes it is crazy heavy that matting, if you don' t dare remove the dash, just start chopping as much out with a stanley blade. Weigh it on the kitchen scales.
Get a heat gun on the tar in the footwells (1.5kg a side if i recall)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-iY7HFSunp-8/US0Zh6u1SLI/AAAAAAAABkA/QVTkhy07NeI/s640/IMG_2151.JPG

I've had two sets of custom springs made by Faulkner direct, both customer service and quality is/was exceptional. He is correct regarding the 155 setup, it was basically something that could suit all, that Kamracing could sell as a shelf item, to mate with the B8's. To be honest, track days are a hoot and if you had the perfect setup from day 1, the fun would soon die off and you wouldn't keep going with the tools.
Yes your costs are spot on for the bodies, don't bother. I went down the AT route and wish i'd have put money into a supercharger instead.

Saxo's are great cars to cut your teeth on, I did exactly the same. Have fun.
Cheers buddy, I don't fancy taking the dash out so I'll just do as you said, try and pick away at most of it with a blade. I'll have a crack at more weight saving on the weekend then, plenty of bits to tackle. Really need to crack on with removing/trimming excess wires back, so far I've just chased them up and bundled them together lol.
I temp insured it for the past week, because I hadn't driven it properly since the manifold, buckets and more weight saving. In all honesty, it has genuinely surprised me how much quicker the acceleration has picked up from bog standard. When I got it, it had nothing done to it engine wise at all, and had the full interior. With basic breathing mods, stripping the weight down to around 870-880kg's it is shocking the difference. Had a few dabbles with randoms about, put a smile on my face, which is what it's all about.

I purchased them from Kev in the end as well, he said KamRacing buy in bulk, so they get discounted prices (meaning they could sell for less than Faulkner direct). Currently running B8's on the front as well so it should be a pretty good road setup and light track use for the time being. It's got me thinking about other things now, my brakes were fully refreshed about 5 months ago (discs, pads, lines, fluid) so I'm tempted to leave the car where it is for now, and track in it's current situation. I know the standard brakes are shocking, but I'd like to be able to feel/tell the difference by going from stock, to a 266mm setup with DS2500's or another pad. As you said, if I had it all prepped for the first day, I wouldn't know where I need to improve on the car etc.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Morette's are going to be sold, along with the Supersprint mid section and backbox, to fund a Saxsport exhaust system.
I've lost the love for the Morette's, and the Saxsport system has a mid silencer which will benefit me for track use, as the current system will 100% fail a decibel test for track. That, and having Tinnitus it's absolutely f**king dreadful (yet I daily a 182 with a decatted and non silenced Scorpion system...hmm).

Skoda Fabia VRS
Hello people of the Clio kind.

Sold the Morettes to recoup some moneys, will be selling the Omex as well as I've reached boredom with it (well, I did months ago) and it's money to buy other goodies. Currently, I f**king hate the car with a passion. It's turned into my daily with the Clio breaking on me, and nothing I can assure you, is worse than a fully stripped out, bucket seated, harness wearing, exhaust blowing straight piped VTS with bad suspension. It's honestly making me fall out to the point of selling, lol.
But in other news, I bought a Baker BM quickshift, because I'm Bipolar with this thing. I've got a holiday to pay off, Portaventura with the Mrs in June/July, then I'll be getting the car sorted and ready for track.

Skoda Fabia VRS
I'm £400 a month worse off since changing jobs, so my funds have dropped dramatically. With other things on my mind (Holidays, going away with the Mrs, buying a new car in replacement of the Clio) I just don't withhold the 'oomph' to continue with the project. No, it doesn't cost me anything just sitting on my driveway, but I've been debating about this one for a few weeks now, it's just not possible financially for me.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Update, she's staying.

I've decided against a Megane 225, purely to the fact that I know this car has so much potential, and that it's reasonable throwing money into a 19 year old Saxo (Don't tell me otherwise!) 😂
So, with the Clio freeing up some funds I decided to treat the old girl. I've a brand new Saxsport coming next week, along with front wishbone polybushes, and new Firstline balljoints to hopefully erase the knocking from the suspension. I'm currently out of work (I have issues with keeping a job, I've had 4 since I bought this bloody thing), but as soon as that's sorted and the Holiday is paid for, there will be empty wallets because of this.

Something cool I hadn't even planned on doing... The first photo is the day I bought the car, the second photo is one I took this afternoon after coming back from a drive with some mates. Coincidentally my Bamp was over, parked in the same spot 6 months apart haha! I've also bought a new 'Nifty Fifty' F1.8 lens for my Camera, which I am loving!

21754143360_46c05be773_c.jpg

26553165441_48f3c8c0e5_c.jpg

Skoda Fabia VRS
So my balljoints, and front Wishbone bushes have arrived and they'll be fitted shortly. In the meantime, I had a little mishap with my exhaust.
Basically since I've had the sytem, I had bodged the centre section and backbox together due to a slight difference in diameters. The centre Id was 60mm, the backbox ID was 50mm (they're both Supersprint, and know one quite knows why they aren't alike, unless the backbox is sooooper old). I wrapped the join with manifold wrap, which worked for a while... Last night I hit a bump and it just came loose, resulting in many loud tractor noises from the centre section 😂

Aaaaanyway...
Drove her home and got the old system off this afternoon ready for the Saxsport to be fitted tomorrow, literally cannot wait.
Just need to pickup a new downpipe-decat gasket tomorrow morning at the local motor factors and she'll be sorted, then hopefully have a mate press the new balljoints in and fit the polybushes in the afternoon!

26633060296_2dfdb5a79c_c.jpg

26386469590_22801f9efa_c.jpg

Dat exhaust mark, lol!

26633073006_4f8e7f9364_c.jpg

26659643775_064002fa04_c.jpg

Come at me harness police...

26386478270_5d7f5f4d52_c.jpg

My new air freshener, it's awesome.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Sooo, had a few bits delivered this week;
2x OEM Firstline Balljoints
2x Flowflex front wishbone polybushes
One mighty Saxsport exhaust system

I ripped the old system off as seen above to make way for the Saxsport on Wednesday and got fitting straight away. Overall, I'm dead happy with the change. The Supersprint was f**king loud, obnoxious, and caused my ears to bleed after a 5 minute drive. The Saxsport has a middle silencer, and larger backbox so it's a lot quieter inside the car. This will also be beneficial for future track days, as the Saxsport is plenty below the decibel limit for most tracks, where as the Supersprint was close to the limit.

The polybushes and balljoints will be fitted next week via a mates garage, I've learned my lesson previously, get balljoints properly pressed in, lol.

ecf73e185d.jpg

de1a7bb8c6.jpg

eeb945c070.jpg

Went for a drive up some phenomenal roads which are about 20 minutes from my house and grabbed some pictures, along with a quick Exhaust video to sort of give a feel of what she sounds like now. Watch the video until the end, LOL.

26111591063_82c05868e0_c.jpg

26649246631_65f16759ae_c.jpg

In other news, I should hopefully be the owner of some Catcam 743's as of next week as well!