ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
You've heard of them haha?

No, the only guy I ever used to map the standard ecu was Wayne from Chipwizards. He did two of the three of my itb'd rallyes and also did my pals turbo Rallye all on the standard ecu.

He's based in Warrington now so don't know how far he is from you.

Skoda Fabia VRS
No, the only guy I ever used to map the standard ecu was Wayne from Chipwizards. He did two of the three of my itb'd rallyes and also did my pals turbo Rallye all on the standard ecu.

He's based in Warrington now so don't know how far he is from you.
Won't be travelling just to have the ECU mapped for cams, I'll more than likely be leaving it #lumpy for a bit purely for the noise.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
As Josh will say as well, cost per mod, I won't benefit from mapping the cams on a standard ECU, if I intend on going standalone not too long after, with Itb's.

But you won't get any gains from fitting them without mapping? It'll just make it run about as well as me. Would it not be better to leave them out and fit them when / if you go for bodies?

Skoda Fabia VRS
But you won't get any gains from fitting them without mapping? It'll just make it run about as well as me. Would it not be better to leave them out and fit them when / if you go for bodies?
There are gains, not majorly noticeable, but definitely an increase over standard. I would wait, but I'm not 100% when I'll be going down that route as the car needs so many other things as well. I'll get the car rolling roaded after fitting to see what sort of power (if any) is being made above stock.

Megane 250

Mine is unmapped, pulls much stronger and is noticeably faster than standard, perhaps not to the full potential they could be, but it runs and drives fine, albeit s**t on fuel.

But it's pointless spending £100 to go to chipwizards, £3/400 on a map, when I'm going standalone and itbs.

I haven't had mine rolling roaded to know my exact bhp.

This is all my opinion ofcourse, if I didn't plan on going further, than I would have it mapped.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I've had 4 that were on cams and bodies and have always read there are no gains from unmapped cams! Perhaps I was reading too many mappers posts!

Standalone is definitely the way forward though, I found mine ran a lot better on bodies on gems then it did on the standard ecu. Saying that, my pals turbo was shatting on everything that moved at CSS last year (before he crashed) and that runs great on the stock ecu.

I suppose it's whether you think it's worth over a £1000 on aftermarket ecu and mapping.

Skoda Fabia VRS
I've had 4 that were on cams and bodies and have always read there are no gains from unmapped cams! Perhaps I was reading too many mappers posts!

Standalone is definitely the way forward though, I found mine ran a lot better on bodies on gems then it did on the standard ecu. Saying that, my pals turbo was shatting on everything that moved at CSS last year (before he crashed) and that runs great on the stock ecu.

I suppose it's whether you think it's worth over a £1000 on aftermarket ecu and mapping.
Yeah people do say you won't recieve all of the benefits without mapping, which is true!

Is that the dude that has your old wicked red?

That's the thing, it's a lot of money involved for Ecu, loom, mapping! I'm looking into the new omex setup, less than £800 for a full Itb setup! All you need on top is injectors, Fpr and obviously the Management etc.

Megane 250

There are gains, not as many as if it was mapped but still noticeable and worthwhile.

I'm personally going to be going omex 600 ecu, and probably the new omex throttle bodies, so it'll all be mapped together then.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I forgot about the red Saxo! Yeah, that's on the standard ecu and runs great

EAD5399A-1A4B-4FC2-BE7F-345D3F67FE43_zpszhn8qw6m.jpg

This is my mates Rallye turbo that's making 250bhp on the standard ecu;

632DEFF6-3215-4DF7-BACA-90FCDA92DD21_zpsq2n1gris.jpg

I also ran this on jenveys on the standard ecu;

e87ab6cc.jpg

And my red s1 Rallye too!

7BB1645C-242F-4724-BF86-B03CEF4F20C8.png_zpsxr83gqae.jpg

I'm clearly a massive standard ecu fan boy.

Astra GSI, Clio 172
Wow! Love this, i bought a 106 gti for a track toy a couple of months ago you just cant help but fall for them. Been looking into bike carbs on the cheap for mine interesting to see that all them set ups can be done with a stock ecu!

Skoda Fabia VRS
Wow! Love this, i bought a 106 gti for a track toy a couple of months ago you just cant help but fall for them. Been looking into bike carbs on the cheap for mine interesting to see that all them set ups can be done with a stock ecu!
As the yorkshire man himself says, Wayne is the man to see for the stock ECU!

Skoda Fabia VRS
Balljoints pressed in, Polybushes fitted, they'll be back on the car tonight!
I'll also be getting some rear Bilstein B8's soon as standard rears are starting to seize and cause many many knocks and bangs.

Skoda Fabia VRS
The stock ECU is the nuts. Launch control can even be enabled on it.
I'll take three.

Update!
Balljoints were pressed in along with the front Polybushes, and genuinely there is a noticeable difference in the front end being stiffer already, actually shocked.
The knocking noise lower down hasn't been resolved, but for the sake of £15 on brand new balljoints, I don't feel as though it's money wasted, so onto the next suspect.
13152684_10208242374630769_2030801395_n.jpg

The Springs I've currently got on make no sense at all, Bilstein B8 fast road shocks, with cheapo 50mm springs. The ride is awful, it absorbs children underneath with the amount the front end bounces, and it bottoms out quite a lot. So a set of the newly designed Faulkners will be ordered (again, as I sold the previous set) in a weeks time or so. The Powersteering has started to creak and make some noises, which isn't really an issue as I had planned to rip it out anyway, you know, dem weight savings...

Last night I purchased a brand new Set of GAZ rear adjustable dampers for the grand sum of £110, considering I was about to buy used Bilstein B8's for £100, a good buy!
RP1023GAZ.jpg

(Generic picture)

I'm also about to purchase a set of Catcam 743's from a mate, which will do me just fine! Short term plans are to leave these unmapped, but up the idle to stop the car from cutting out (due to running unmapped). Long term plans are Omex 600 Standalone management and Omex ITB's and some fancy ass map.
Along with fitting these I'll be replacing the Cambelt, and auxbelt at the same time. They're not even a year old, but it makes sense while they're being taken off.
13112678_10154146749447866_2107441972_o.jpg

13161532_10154146749532866_9462561_o.jpg

13170052_10154146749622866_4225539_o.jpg

I've also purchased a Powerflex polybushed dog bone mount, which should stiffen the ride up again and erase some movement lower down.

All that's left is to get a rebuild kit for my 266mm calipers, get some fresh rubber on the wheels, sort out a slight Exhaust blow and get her another years MOT at the end of this month! Then sweet sailing for Summer, and a few track days!

Skoda Fabia VRS
Well, I had a delivery today, almost 10 days early!
13140850_10154282434188304_1645390244_n.jpg

Apologies for the appalling picture and not the usual geeky snap, I'll get some nice ones when they're on the car.

Very eager to get these fitted, should stiffen up the rear tremendously and improve the handling vastly.
I've got my 160lb Grams springs being delivered tomorrow, along with the Catcam 743's Wednesday. It's a shame I'm leaving for Cornwall wednesday until Monday, car parts shall have to wait!

Took a trip up to Brecon/Black Mountains for a drive with the Mrs yesterday along with @josh11490 and a friend. Epic day out! The weather was absolutely fantastic, the roads were on most occasions not too busy, and we had a great day. The car as it is currently, performed very well to be honest, it literally takes everything on the chin and doesn't bite back. In a few weeks time when all of the goodies are fitted, it'll be a completely different car to drive!

A few pictures, only one of mine as I wanted to get Josh some nice pictures for him, and my Mrs wouldn't budge out of the passenger seat for photo's of mine.😂

26621971020_81a2b48ef4_c.jpg

26289581954_a70e5b7964_c.jpg

26801290132_ecfa50cf7b_c.jpg

26894644705_f1b8627d11_c.jpg

26621985450_86214d0a59_c.jpg

Skoda Fabia VRS
Had a few days of escaping the norm last week, went to Cornwall for half a week with the Mrs. T'was good!

Whilst I was away I had a text off my Dad saying that the Catcams had arrived, NGL, wanted to be home that second lol.
As soon as I got home (after the dogbone bolts 'falling' out of the Mrs car on the way back, along with traffic delaying us 4 hours...) I got started, and had a go at removing the rear shocks.

26455386823_8d9c7ed595_c.jpg

26455382513_66b74018df_c.jpg

The car is stupidly clean underneath for something that is almost 20 years old! Not a spot of rust, still posi blue just a bit dirty as you'd expect!

26784700110_e0272c5f06_c.jpg

26455393483_e71a6be78c_c.jpg

Haven't managed to get them on today due to other jobs, and sorting out the Mrs car.
Fingers crossed come tomorrow evening, I'll have the Grams springs on as well as these Gaz rears! If time allows I'll have the Powerflex dogbone mount fitted also.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Well, I've been lazy in regards to updating this it's safe to say!

All has gone exactly to plan, and I've even rectified a few issues in the meantime in Prep for FCS tomorrow.

The Springs were fitted by a local garage. I'm gaining confidence tremendously tackling my own jobs, but I didn't fancy changing the springs just yet, plus I'm aware you need spring clamps which I don't possess, so no bother! The rear shocks I had fitted the day after the picture above was posted, and I've currently got them set about half way (8 notches), and I'm quite happy with that setting for road use. The combination of the 160lb front springs, and these new Gaz shocks has completely transformed the suspension. It's twice as firm, there is virtually no body roll, the front end has been raised 15mm approximately so the car is now level roughly (rear torsion bar is lowered 40mm). Couldn't be happier, suits fast road driving perfectly.

Next up was an issue I had had for a while, but just couldn't diagnose. After literally just sticking my head under the bonnet, I spotted it almost instantly.

27060727561_b1fd668ee8_c.jpg

27060724561_9f6ce03724_c.jpg

27060722781_8b654dc146_c.jpg

13231185_10154309784383304_1675680773_n.jpg

This image shows just how much/for how long it has been grinding away.
The Steering rack was actually grinding itself up against something, so when the suspension compresses itself I would have this horrible creaking/grinding sound, drove me nuts for ages so you can imagine my delight when I spotted where it was coming from! It just so happened that a previous owner had put a N/S Track rod end on the O/S side, so the rack was sort of leaning inwards rather than outwards.
13250277_10154309331538304_1494658756_n.jpg

I've no pictures of after changing it, but the problem is now rectified completely and no more noises!

In other news, today I'm going to be cleaning out the inside a bit and having a tidy up (girlfriend, rubbish, floor, I'll say no more). This afternoon will be her first ever proper cleaning session in about 8 months! I haven't touched the car in about 5 months, and prior to that it was just snow foam, wash, done. I won't be going to the extent I used to with my old 182, as the paintwork and condition of the VTS is far worse, but I will make it at least somewhat presentable!

Anyway, here are some pictures I've taken recently. I'll be on the 106 owners (I know...it's a Saxo) stand with @josh11490 if anybody from here is going to FCS btw!

26571243294_c00691b385_c.jpg

27095725060_9853d97628_c.jpg

27371384395_b343bc22dd_c.jpg

Skoda Fabia VRS
Being anal, as there aren't many mint Mk1's around... you're missing the rack bung/shower cap. I've not seen a saxo with one in a few years.
http://www.eurocarcare.net/steering/ecc406632-steering-rack-gaiter-end.html
I need one too!

Good find on the track rod.
I had tried to find where to purchase one from, but couldn't quite get the name of it, cheers for that!
£4.20 also, top lels.

She's now cleaner than ever before, and all of the bumpers have been treated so they're looking fresh!

27402768776_a9382b7956_c.jpg

The rear tyres are starting to piss me off now...