ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SMT6/STAND ALONE ECU group buy

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

ull need some kind of chip in ur ecu, as this is a piggyback chip. im sure the superchip could stay!

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

you can change the map over if you have a laptop and know how to use the software...

but they would be set for best power really... an economy mode would only be good if you were not to drive hard.... difficult to change that many parameters... the two stage map is good if your testing a high boost turbo etc.

ok guys, upto 4 def so far, and ready to put deposits down, so one palce left at least, we wont go ahead until after teh bank holiday, that gives everyone enough time to see what they want to do, if we get more then 5 we may be looking at more discount. So far its me, MartinS, Paul.C 16v and TheDoc. I reckonRockport is almost there also, and Adams16v is also very interested, get your money out boys! this is a very good product, at an even better price!

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 28 April 2004

ull need some kind of chip in ur ecu, as this is a piggyback chip. im sure the superchip could stay!
hi mate... what do you mean "the superchip could stay"??.. do you mean have an SMT6 AND a superchip?!?!!.. surely not.. if so....what benefits are there to having both over standard??

The super chip replaces a part in yor ECU, SMT6 piggybacks the curretn ECU, so in theory you could have the SMT6 modifying your already modified super chip!

172 Cup

i have got a superchip to but i was just gonna swap it with someone for a standard ecu and a bit of cash. would that be better do you think?

Paul

Boys, im tryin to work out if its really worth me havin this done yet.

The only mods ive got is a de-cat and the cams have been reprofiled...

I take it that this chip will get rid of the "tappety" sound I got, cot its starting to do my head in. Will an off the shelf chip be able to sort this out??? Or is it just the timing that needs to be sorted out?

I know u need more peeps, but be honest with me, cos I dunno if ill be able to find the deposit in time.

Ian

got 4 already and 2 almosts, we are nearly there, spoke to andy today, even with the 4 defos we may be able to get teh same price, the more the merrier though! as for the tappety noise, i doubt a chip will sort this, sounds like you have worn tappets, as for it being worth it with the mods you have, i say if you have re-profiled cams it will def be woth while! your car may be underfuelling and certainly wont be anywhere near optimum output!

Well ive had a full top end rebuild a couple of months back by Andy,

Im sure he said that its because the cams were reprofiled, if a chip wont sort this wot will?

is it just on cold start up? if so its a lazy tappet and you need new lifters. if its constant, and you recently had a new top end(im assuming full rebuild uincluding new tappets?) then it may be becasue of the sharper profile on the cams, cant imagine a chip will sort it TBH tho!

No its a constant thing, if I knew there wasnt anything to sort the noise out, I wouldnt of had the cams done.

Im gonna PM Andy, and see wot he thinks it could be, ill try my hardest to get the deposit.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

Your lifters are fine Ian, its just a typical sound (when I heard it at least) of a camd engine

BigChris has just had the same and its pretty much the same and he had new lifters....

yours were not worn.... honest...

perhaps some sound deadening on the inside of the bonnet.... (dynamat type stuff)

most people with the loud zorsts and filters etc etc cant hear the cams anyhow

if however the tappets have got worse since we saw you last, do give me a call mate and I will see how we can help sort it out...

Andy

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

To those that were interested.

I dropped my 172 off today at my mates workshop to have my SMT6 installed.

First thing I asked him was it possible to add a switch so I could change maps while driving...he said hed do that.

Hes also going to put in the data cable so I can tune the car on the open road.

Hes just a little worried about the wiring diagram because PP dont have one for the 172, and Andy used his own map...Just hope my mate gets sorted.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

no PP dont have a diagram for the 172, we had to work it out.... £lots of phone calls to south africa...... and some extensive fiddling to get it right..

the result however I and the customer was pleased with...

yes you can switch maps, however I question the reasons for needing to do this as once the car is set up for correct fueling why change to anything else!!??? unless its got a turbo and you are running lower boost etc

Andy

p.s. its hard to tune on the road unless you have mate in the car... also hard to hold load at set rpm to get the engine fully loaded up to simulate full throttle... max fuel needs...

let us know how you get on... its a great bit of kit and very flexible.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Well the main reason Ill be switching maps is because in every day driving weve only got access to 93RON fuel, but when I get onto the track I have access to 102RON so it would be nice to have a track map and a everyday map (mainly to prevent detonation when Im running our crappy everyday fuel). I think its worth the effort of a switch since Im at the track every month, and when Im not onthe track Im at Gymkhana and autocross events

Got a phonecall this afternoon saying that the car would only be ready tomorrow due to some other issues my mate needed to take care of.

will give updates once I have them

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

ah! gotcha.... did not realise you were going to run 102 and 93.... that is low... makes sense now.